Defrag is fine/good. Some important tidying up to do now.
Download and scan each user profile with CCleaner (a good utility to keep and use regularly.):http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
** Select to download the SLIM version.
** Because CCleaner removes everything in temp folders, if you have anything saved in a temp folder, back it up or move it to a permanent folder prior to running CCleaner.
** We will be cleaning cookies as well. Make a note of any passwords, etc. that you want to save. If you do not want to delete cookies, simply uncheck that option.
1. Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
2. Then select the items you wish to clean up. In the Windows Tab:
Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section.
Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section
Clean all entries in the "System" section.
Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
Clean any others that you choose. In the Applications Tab:
Clean all in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
Clean all in the Opera and Chrome sections if you use them.
Clean Java in the Internet Section.
Clean any others that you choose.
* Do not use the Registry Cleaner component of CCleaner.
3. Click the "Analyze" button. When the list of files comes up for you to review, if you choose to remove them, click the "Run Cleaner" button.
4. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
We need to remove some tools & purge your system Restore points.
Download "Delfix by Xplode" and save it to your desktop.https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/2-delfix/
Or use the following if first link is down:
"Delfix link mirror"http://ccm.net/download/download-24087-delfix
Double Click to start the program. If you are using Vista or higher, please right-click and choose run as administratorMake Sure the following items are checked:
- Remove disinfection tools
- Purge System Restore <--- this will remove all previous and possibly exploited restore points, a new point relative to system status at present will be created.
- Create registry backup
- Reset system settings
Now click on "Run"
and wait patiently until the tool has completed.
The tool will create a log when it has completed. I don't need you to post this.
Any remnant files/logs from tools we have used can be deleted…
Part of the routine will be to create a registry back up with ERUNT, the back up will be created here:C:\Windows\ERUNT.
Please let me know how the laptop is running & if you have any concerns.