Today my RAM and CPU usage has been higher than usual. This has happened a few random times over the last couple months. Usually it seemed to be Google Chrome's fault. But it hasn't been consistent enough for me to notice any kind of pattern.
While idle, my memory is over 1.5 GB (about 38% physical memory), and opening a single tab is Google Chrome has brought that up to almost 2 GB and sometimes almost 3 GB. My CPU usage has been fluctuating between about 3% and 30% when I'm either idle or using Google Chrome, when it's usually very close to 0%.
I ran a quick scan with Trojan Killer and found some adware (or what Trojan Killer labeled as adware) and quarantined it, but the problem hasn't gone away. I did a full scan with Trojan Killer after that, and it says my computer is clean. Malwarebytes says the same thing. I never found any significant threats over the last couple months when I experienced similar memory/CPU issues.
I cleaned my browser data, but that hasn't helped either.