Author Topic: [Resolved] Unable to remove old and install new Internet Security suites.  (Read 6472 times)

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
I did the first and ran the command prompt and a text came up saying "the requested operation requires elevation" I restarted as you said so I don't know if anything happened.
Hoov where do I find Action Centre, I've had a poke around and been in System > Advanced Tools that gave details of errors causing slow start up or slow down but they are all historic.

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Action center is in the system tray. It is that little flag lookin thing, it is a white flag with a black outline. Over on the left select "View Archived Messages"

As for the other,

Go to the start button, then to all programs, then to accessories, then right click on command prompt and select "Run as Administrator"
Type: netsh winsock reset, and then press the ENTER key.
Type: Exit and press ENTER.
Restart the computer.

About your internet connection dropping off, can you describe your internet connection, between the computer and where the wire comes in the house. What routers and modems do you have installed?

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
I did the command prompt thing and restarted. Doesn't seem to be any change and Secunia still won't load although it behaves as if it's working and tells me two programs have been removed and my score is 94% but I have no means to improve it. There is no Icon as you described in my system tray and I have done a search for Action Center and get negative result. I have hovered the mouse over everything on the system tray and quick launch bar and none indicate Action Center. Could it be called something else. The programs in the system tray  that have some diagnostic tools  are Realtek HD Audio Manager, MBAM and TM so I wonder if it might be hidden in control panel somewhere.

About the network set up. I have broadband supplied by Sky TV (Fox TV in the States I think). I have a telephone wire from a phone socket along which is place a microfilter. There is another microfilter connected directly to another incoming phone line. The set up so far is as recommended by the Sky technicians and is standard. The telephone line then runs from the microfilter into the back of the router which is a Sagemcon model F@ST 2304. This is set up for a wired connection and as a wireless router. The PC is connected to the router by what I believe is called an ethernet cable that runs from one of four ports at the rear of the router into the port on the back of the tower. Both PC and router are connected to mains electricity

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
I am going to contact Secunia again.

Consumer Security

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
I got word back from Secunia, these are the instructions they said to try. Give it a shot and let me know.

Running and scanning with the Secunia PSI Secunia PSI

The Secunia PSI is stuck at "Verifying Internet connection..." and won't start. What can I do?

The Secunia PSI needs to be able to use Operating System functionality to connect to Secunia's servers to complete a scan.
    In order to allow the PSI to access our servers, you may need to adjust your internet settings. You can do so by following these steps:
        Open the Control Panel.
        For Windows 7 and Vista, click "Network and Internet", "Internet Options", and then the "Security" tab. For Windows XP, click "Internet Options" and then the Security tab.
        Click Trusted Sites, then the Sites button.
        Enter "https://*.secunia.com" and click enter. The PSI should now work.
        If you are still having problems using the PSI, set the security level to Medium or lower. Alternatively you can enable the "Active Scripting" option, found by clicking "Custom level".
        Close the settings dialog. You should now be able to use the PSI.

If you are still having problems with the PSI, the services on which the PSI depend may have been disabled. To verify that they are running, type "Administrative tools" in the start menu search bar on Windows Vista or 7, or open Administrative tools from the Control Panel in Windows XP.
    Now click the Services tool, and verify that both the "Secunia Update Agent" and "Secunia PSI Agent" have their status set to "Started" and their "Startup type" set to "Automatic".

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
Hoov I get the feeling it's not meant to be with Secunia. Did as instructed with the trusted sites and added Secunia in the format required.I have set the Security level to medium in Active Settings, (no option to set it any lower).I did notice whilst there that anything to do with Active X was disabled, whatever that relates to. I have tried to load it again and no change I have uninstalled and reinstalled the pogram but no change. I looked in properties for Secunia and saw that my machine, that operates on Vista, runs in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from a drop down menu and Vista isn't on the menu list. I have checked that Secunia PSI Update Agent and Secunia PSI Agent are both started and set to automatic but no change. I'm going to reboot and see if it makes any difference.

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
Rebooted but the same. The program tries to load on Start Up but I get a plain white window. I have brought up task manager and the program always shows Not responding. I have gone to Services in Task Manager and highlighted Secunia Update Agent which shows stopped. I checked Administrative Tools Services Tools as before and it now shows stopped. When I try and start it again in this location  an Error box opens stating "Error 2 The system could not find the file specified. I tried to start it in Services within Task Manager by right clicking and got a warning dialogue message stating, The operation will not be completed. Access denied. Both locations show Secunia as running. I checked that the program was still showing in trusted sites and it is. There has to be something else preventing it from loading.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
There is another solution that might work for you. It is called Update checker from FileHippo If Secunia does not change their beta version of Secunia version 3, I will be making the switch to Update Checker myself.

You do need to be a bit more careful with Update Checker, beta versions will show up on the list. Do you want to keep trying to get Secunia to work?

If not, are there any other problems?

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
Hoov its a bit strange but i think Secunia is scanning but I just can't load the interface. I have gone to the Secunia file in programs, right clicked and then on 'Open file location'. In there are documents such as psialog, and sualog and psialog.txt2 that are running. When I click the first of these it opens to a log that is scanning. When I tried to open psialog.txt2 I got a windows dialogue box telling me it couldn't open the file and directing me to the internet to find the correct program. I did this and was recommended to download and run a scan from Speedy PC Pro, a MS partner. I did a scan that told me I had 786 faults on my computer and then directed me to their site where I could buy the product necessary to fix the faults. It seemed a little disingenuous because it made no mention up front about having to buy anything, but maybe it's ok. I just feel the that there must be a solution. If I could post any of the logs would it be useful.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Something is not right.

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log. Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you. Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Now please update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and run a full scan with it. If it finds anything, fix it and then post the log. If it finds nothing post that log. [/list]

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
    Hoov, RKill found nothing. I ran MBAM after updating and that found nothing either but logs below. Ist is the MBAM scan and the 2nd is MBAM protection log. Do you want the Rkill log.
    MBAM scan did stop for more than 30 secs at Windows\System 32\Drivers\TERAID.SYS if this is significant.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) 1.60.1.1000
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.03.16.02

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS
    Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
    Dave :: DAVE-PC [limited]

Protection: Enabled

16/03/2012 11:00:38
    mbam-log-2012-03-16 (11-00-38).txt

Scan type: Full scan
    Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
    Scan options disabled: P2P
    Objects scanned: 321003
    Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 42 minute(s), 41 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

2012/03/16 07:44:18 GMT   DAVE-PC   Dave   MESSAGE   Starting protection
    2012/03/16 07:44:23 GMT   DAVE-PC   Dave   MESSAGE   Protection started successfully
    2012/03/16 07:44:26 GMT   DAVE-PC   Dave   MESSAGE   Starting IP protection
    2012/03/16 07:44:29 GMT   DAVE-PC   Dave   MESSAGE   IP Protection started successfully
    2012/03/16 10:59:42 GMT   DAVE-PC   Dave   MESSAGE   Starting database refresh
    2012/03/16 10:59:42 GMT   DAVE-PC   Dave   MESSAGE   Stopping IP protection
    2012/03/16 10:59:46 GMT   DAVE-PC   Dave   MESSAGE   IP Protection stopped
    2012/03/16 10:59:54 GMT   DAVE-PC   Dave   MESSAGE   Database refreshed successfully
    2012/03/16 10:59:54 GMT   DAVE-PC   Dave   MESSAGE   Starting IP protection
    2012/03/16 10:59:56 GMT   DAVE-PC   Dave   MESSAGE   IP Protection started successfully

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
    • Diamond Member
      • Hoov's Personal Site
    Other than the Secunia issue, how is the computer running?

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
    It's loading faster but slow shutting down. I've uninstalled a number of programs that I'm not using and my lad has had a new computer today for his birthday which means I can take off some of the games. I shall do a load of housekeeping over the next few days. I was wondering about running CC Cleaner but should I need any guidance on this. I think that doing a clean up and organisation can't do too much harm.  Hoov is there anything you would recommend along these lines.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
    • Diamond Member
      • Hoov's Personal Site
    Go ahead and run ccleaner, I have included the instructions below just in case, then uninstall whatever software you want to uninstall and then run ccleaner again.

But there may be another option. How much personal information is there on this computer, that you would have to backup? With this big a change, if there is not a lot of personal data on the computer, it may be advantageous to just do a full reinstall of windows.

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
    We have quite a substantial amount of photos and some documents. Do I run CCC first because didn't see any instructions on this?