Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook won't open and repair tool is not on my system  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Lura

• Bronze Member
Microsoft Outlook won't open and repair tool is not on my system
« on: September 12, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »
Hi everyone again.

My Microsoft Outlook Inbox won't open and Windows 7 is telling me that I need to use something called Scanpst.exe to repair it.  But this file is not on my system.  I have looked in all the appropriate files as instructed by Microsoft and I have shown hidden files.  It is not there.  I cannot reload Microsoft Outlook 7 as I purchased this netbook computer from someone on Ebay and I do not have a backup disk for the program.  I found a place to download the file Scanpst.exe online.  Can't seem to download it from Microsoft.  The download site is:  www.emailaddressmanager.com/outlook/repair.html but, even if I can get the file, restoring the Outlook program looks kind of tricky.  Any suggestions?

Lura

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Re: Microsoft Outlook won't open and repair tool is not on my system
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
Have you tried doing a system restore to when it worked properly?

Former Consumer Security MVP
2011-2014

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline Lura

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »
Hi Hoov.

The newest restore point I had was, it looked to me, AFTER the problem had developed, but I tried it anyway.  It did not solve the problem.  The next newest restore point was back in July, and I didn't want to use that one.

Regards,
Lura

Offline Hoov

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
I would not download that file to use in the repair. Do you have another computer that you can move the files to, and run the repair there?

2011-2014

Offline Lura

• Bronze Member
Problem fixed but need training in back ups
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »
I actually got all worked up and went to that website, which showed as excellent on Web of Trust.  I downloaded the file and placed it in the folder where I was instructed to place it by Microsoft instructions.  I tried to run it, but it would not run because it was looking for another file and so I read the Microsoft instructions a little more carefully and discovered that I had placed it in the wrong folder for Outlook 7.  I then went to the correct folder and found the tool, ran it, and my Microsoft Outlook is fine.  In fact, it's running faster.

But now I am left to wonder why I have no restore points on my computer.  It is supposed to be creating a restore point every week and it is not.  Also, I backed up my system at the end of August unto a Go Flex device and....that backup was not there.  There was a backup from July, but I didn't want to use it.  Does anyone have some pointers on backups and restore points?

Regards,
Lura

Offline Hoov

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
Take a look in your event viewer logs and see if you are having VSS problems.

2011-2014