Author Topic: KEYBOARD ONLY TYPES IN CAPS  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Poet8

• Bronze Member
Re: KEYBOARD ONLY TYPES IN CAPS
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 06:36:59 pm »
The way I have temporarily been fixing the problem is to paste some lower-case text from Word into whatever it is I have been typing in FF.  After being "reminded" of lower case in this way, FF then goes back to normal, until the next time.  But, if I don't do that, it lasts for a while, so I should have time enough to compare it to Chrome (which I already have).  I will try that the next time.

Offline Poet8

• Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 08:36:09 pm »
OK, it just happened again (in FF).  I then opened Chrome, and the problem does NOT occur in Chrome, only FF.  Or at least it does not occur in both browsers at the same time.  I don't know yet if it might eventually happen in Chrome too, but as of now, no.

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 09:01:48 pm »
You still have the bookmark backups, and hopefully you still have the addons files. If not, go ahead and download those again. Also download the newest version of Firefox.

Then follow the instructions here on how to uninstall Firefox. Down near the bottom of the instructions is a set of instructions on how to Delete your profiles folder. Make a copy of both your current profiles to some other location. This is just in case you missed backing up something. Once you have the profile folder backed up, go ahead and do the full uninstall and remove the personal information.

Then reinstall Firefox. And then recreate your profile by reinstalling the addons and your bookmarks just as you did earlier.

Let me know how this goes.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline Poet8

• Bronze Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 07:14:41 pm »
Hoov -- Sorry for the long delay.  I just now was finally able to get to uninstalling and reinstalling FF -- also deleted the old profiles.  After about 2 hours of using the completely new FF program, the all-caps problem started happening again.  Still doesn't happen in other programs, just FF, but again, FF is now completely new, reinstalled, & unconnected to the old program and profiles (as far as I can tell).  Any idea what else could be causing it?  Thanks.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 07:23:27 pm »
About the only other thing it could possibly be is a Font problem. Open the Firefox options, then go to content and change your Font to something other than what it is.

Restart Firefox and let me know what happens.

Consumer Security

Offline Poet8

• Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 07:40:48 pm »
I switched it from Times New Roman to Verdana, and restarted.  So far, nothing seems different.  But it could be a while before the problem decides to happen again.   So I'll have to wait and see and let you know.  Thanks.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:46 pm »
OK.

Consumer Security

Offline Poet8

• Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 05:36:31 pm »
It just happened again, so changing the default font didn't fix it, sorry to say.  Thanks.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 12:20:14 am »
Did you use chrome for a long time to see if it ever happened in chrome?

Consumer Security

Offline Poet8

• Bronze Member
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 12:56:01 am »
I didn't check it against Chrome this time, but I did try that before, and it didn't happen in Chrome at the same time while it did happen in FF.  More recently (last couple days) I tried it in IE, and it didn't happen in IE whereas it was only happening in FF.  Also not happening in Word or Notepad while it happens in FF.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 10:35:01 am »
Can yanother another browser exclusively for a couple days. It could be a usage thing.

I am going to have to do a bit more digging, because everything I can think of has been eliminated.

Does your caps lock light illuminate when the all caps thing is happening?

Consumer Security

Offline Poet8

• Bronze Member
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 12:18:31 pm »
No, the caps-lock light does not come on.  Hitting caps lock turns it on, of course.  Then turning caps lock off turns the light off, but not the all-caps problem.  The only thing that fixes it is to type some letters or a sentence into Notepad or Word and paste it into the field in FF.  Then continuing on from there in FF, it is usually fixed (for a while).  Sometimes I have to do this process a couple times, though, for it to fix itself.  I can use another browser for a while (though obviously I prefer FF), but it's hard to say if it would really make any difference, because sometimes the problem doesn't happen for days.  Then suddenly it happens like 8x a day or something.  It seems totally random and not related to usage specifically.  But I guess I'll try IE or Chrome for a couple days.  Thanks for your help.  Do let me know if you find anything.  I appreciate it.

Offline Poet8

• Bronze Member
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 03:00:48 pm »
Hi -- I used only Chrome as my browser for 3 days straight, then went back to FF, and the all-caps problem cropped up again within a few hours of using FF.  I understand if you don't have an answer, but just thought I'd let you know it's not a problem to do with over-usage of FF, apparently.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 10:04:04 pm »
I am still looking into this.

Is this the only problem you are having?

Consumer Security

Offline Poet8

• Bronze Member
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 10:21:18 pm »
The only other thing I can think of is that when using Chrome a lot (which I rarely do), it sometimes simply stops working after a while (i.e. will no longer open a new website or page when clicking on a link).  I've noticed this a couple times, but didn't worry about it much, since, like I said, I barely use it.

Besides that, no other current problems that I know of.  But I could post malware scans if you think it'd help.

Thanks.