Author Topic: [InActive K] Permanent "Install Updates and Shut Down" auto prompt,  (Read 2375 times)

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
Re: [InActive K] Permanent "Install Updates and Shut Down" auto prompt,
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 08:49:32 pm »
Yes that is correct, that file is legit... OK can you carry out a clean boot of windows, lets see what effect that has...

Instructions available here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 read them right through so you fully understand what is expected if necessary.
See how windows responds in the clean boot state initially,

Offline Marco

• Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 03:49:09 pm »
Significantly faster with clean boot. 80% of optimal or better. Maybe 90%. Redreaws in large PhotoShop graphic files are about normal, opening and closing programs seems normal. I didn't try Chrome or IE, but Firefox seems a tick slow in both opening and redraw, but a vast improvement. Certainly usable now.

I'm still in clean boot mode and I DID NOT delete any files in Rogue Killer as I wasn't instructed.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 06:15:00 pm »
RogueKiller logs are OK, nothing to worry about. When in clean boot state this does prove that either a non MS service or maybe more than one service is responsible for system slowness problems.
If you go over the instructions again it is now the time to re-introduce services systematically untill what ever causes the issues is found. That is a long drawn out process but really needs to be done, are you ok with that?

Kevin

Offline Marco

• Bronze Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 07:13:55 pm »
Yeah. I'll get it done.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 02:34:20 pm »
OK, let me know how you get on..

Offline Marco

• Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 03:13:45 pm »
I've gone through about half the services. It seemed too slow on all of them, one at a time, so I tried running with no services again, and then set up another machine right next to me, one that I know is perfectly clean (although a few years newer) and the one we're working on is still a lot slower then the clean one (I don't have any software installed that can put accurate numbers to this). It's definitely faster than when we started, but still has a way to go, and it seems as if one of the services might not be the problem?

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 03:58:35 pm »
OK, obviously an infection is running on your system, see if you can running the following:

Download the Windows Defender Offline Tool and save to your Desktop.
You will have to select the correct version for your system, either 32 or 64 bit

Double click to run the tool, Windows 7 or Vista user right click and select "Run as Administrator"

Read the instructions in the new window and select "Next"

In the new window accept the agreement:

In the new window select your USB Flash Drive, then select "Next"

In the new window ensure you Flash drive is selected, if not click on "Refresh" then select "Next"

In the new window accept the formatting alert by selecting "Next"

Files will be Downloaded:

Files will be processed and created

Flash drive will be formatted and prepared

Files will be added to the Flash Drive and the tool will be created.

The procedure is finished and the Tool created, click on "Finish" to complete.

Plug the USB into the sick PC and boot up, if it does not boot from the flash drive change the boot options as required,  Use F12 as it boots, change options...
As it boots you`ll see files being loaded and the windows splash screen, eventually the tool will run a "Quick Scan" follow the prompts and deal with what it finds.
When complete do a full scan, deal with what it finds.
When finished, remove the USB stick then press the Esc key to boot into regular windows.

Navigate to the following file:

"C:\windows\windows defender offline\support\mssWrapper.log" Open with notepad and copy and paste it into a reply.

Offline Marco

• Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 06:35:03 pm »
I can't get it to boot from the flash drive. Tried to change boot order in BIOS, only options are A:Drive and C: Drive.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 06:52:20 pm »
If the BIOS setting has no USB device there should be CD-Rom in the list. The Windows Offline tool can be created and burnt to a CD or DVD, if you look back at the instructions you`ll see that option.
If you cannot boot from a USB stick then a CD/DVD is the next one to try....

Offline Marco

• Bronze Member
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »
I'm still with you. Just found a CD.

Offline Marco

• Bronze Member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 01:11:03 pm »
There is only A:\ and C:\ boot order options at start up. I have not been able to get it to boot from the CD. There is no option for it int he BIOS. What do I do to add it?

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 06:06:18 pm »
How are you accessing the BIOS, only i`ve not seen a BIOS settings as you descibe them. Usually the Boot order has the following:

HD-Drive
CD-Rom Drive
Removable Devices

You would have to access the BIOS at boot by selecting a specific key, could be F1, F2, F10 OR Del and so on depending on the make of your PC.
When in the BIOS you would need to alter and save the Boot order so the required entry is first.. Lets say you change the order so that CD-Rom drive is first, if a bootable CD was in the CD tray and you boot, on the screen you would see the option to select any key to boot from the CD.
If you did not do that it would time out and go to the next option, if that was HD-Drive it would boot from that...

Have a read here...  http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/change-boot-order-xp-vista/

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 04:00:35 am »
Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!