Author Topic: Your Face: Starring in a Facebook Ad Near You  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Bugbatter

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
Your Face: Starring in a Facebook Ad Near You
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:42:40 am »

Facebook has begun using subscribers' faces in sponsored advertisements. The next stop? Ads inside Farmville and other Facebook apps.

Complete Article:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/222886/your_face_starring_in_a_facebook_ad_near_you.html

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
Re: Your Face: Starring in a Facebook Ad Near You
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:54:08 am »
That takes some brass grapes if you ask me. Is this not akin to thievery? It is in my opinion...would be curious what others think.

Anytime one can get some free advertising, not to mention the use of SOMEONE else who won't demand payment for the use of their likeness. What would some advertiser pay to an actor or actress for the use of their face in any commercial ad wherein they would appear as though they are a consumer who is endorsing the use of the product or service? I'll answer my own question...tons and tons of money.

These people are being robbed and probably unaware of it.

I know they're a sparse few but those several folks who already have been spanked by the courts for doing the same thing to the music industry and were made to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages, but it would be so cool if Facebook would happen to use one of their faces and end up in court for doing the same thing those folks were chided for.

Turn about is fair play they say.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:20:57 pm »
I think it would depend on their privacy policy. I have not read it from end to end, but some sites claim that anything you post on their site becomes their exclusive property, and they can use and reuse it as they see fit. It could be that FB has one of those policies in the fine print.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:33:56 pm »
I think it would depend on their privacy policy. I have not read it from end to end, but some sites claim that anything you post on their site becomes their exclusive property, and they can use and reuse it as they see fit. It could be that FB has one of those policies in the fine print.
Exactly...and I'd bet the farm that most folks interpret that to mean anything they post as to what text they put up...things they say, etc. etc. and none of them I'm sure, care anything at all about that. Pictures are quite a different matter. Ask any celebrity. It's worth money. Facebook is evidently, willing to steal them where they can get away with it. Call it what you will, I call it stealing. "A rose by any other name still smells as sweet", and a rat in Brooklyn still stinks no matter where you find it lol (no slight intended to the Brooklyn-ites)

Can you just imagine how a fb member would hit the roof, who's face is plastered next to an ad for something they actually hate? There are other examples I could relate for the readers but I'm willing to let them just use their imagination.

I recall reading some years ago about something similar in that a lady, quite by accident, came across a picture of her children plastered on billboards somewhere in Europe. It was an advertisement, and the vendor stole (used) her kids pictures from some web site with a similarly worded agreement. As I also recall, she did take the case to task and the courts ordered the pictures taken down. I don't believe she wanted money, although I bet she could slit her throat by now lol...when you win, you win. They gave her what she asked for in spite of the lame agreement that almost nobody reads anyway.

It's that kind of mentality, fb et al, that stands at the ready to exploit their users in what they consider the friendliest way possible...regardless, exploitation is what it is. I disagree vehemently with it!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline Bugbatter

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 02:24:52 pm »

Bumping this with a related article:

Can Facebook use my name and profile picture in ads?

If you are a Facebook member and like a Facebook page and/or mention a Facecbook page in a wall update, Facebook can use your name and possibly your picture in ads that are shown to your friends.

In fact, your name might be appearing in Facebeook ad now saying that you like a certain brand. Facebook opts everyone into Facebook Ads. And you probably know that because you’ve read Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities so carefully...

Complete article with screenshots:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2S6dQB/safeandsavvy.f-secure.com/2011/03/23/can-facebook-use-your-name-and-profile-picture-in-ads/

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security