My Windows folder is 7.9GB so yours doesn't seem overly large. Try doing the following to retrieve some extra space:Cleanup
- Download CCleaner from www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.php .
- Run the downloaded file to install CCleaner. Please uncheck the option to install the Yahoo! toolbar when asked during the installation - you don't need it.
- Run CCleaner and click 'Search for Updates' (the link is at the bottom right of the window). Update the program if there is a newer version available.
- Go to 'Options' and click the 'Settings' tab, then click 'Advanced'. Uncheck the box against 'Only Delete Files in Windows Temp Folders Older than 48 Hours' and click OK.
- Make sure there are no browser windows open.
- Click 'Run Cleaner'.
- Close the CCleaner window when finished.
- Please note that running CCleaner will force you to enter login and password details for any sites which require them. Make sure you know them!.
If your system is running smoothly at the moment then you could clean out the System Restore points. Check out the instructions on this page
(half way down the page) to turn System Restore off. Reboot then turn System Restore on and create a new Restore Point. Each Restore Point takes up space, so clearing the old ones out and setting a new one will retrieve some disk space.Old Programs
Check in Add/Remove Programs (Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs) for any applications you don't use any more. Uninstall the ones you don't need.Windows Components
While in Add/Remove Programs, click Add/Remove Windows Componets (on the left hand side). Click on each entry in turn and click Details to see what can be removed. Uncheck any you don't need. For instance Games can be removed from under the Accessories and Utilities entry, Indexing and Management and Monitoring Tools may not be necessary for you, Print Services for Unix under Other Network File and Print Services and so on.
If this is a desktop system then you could consider fitting an extra drive for your data storage or else get an external drive (that would also work with a laptop).