Author Topic: [Resolved] adware problems?  (Read 7293 times)

Offline thenut69

• Bronze Member
Re: [In Progress] adware problems?
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2012, 09:41:00 pm »
ok i tried doing it in safemode on both administrator and under the main account and both failed with same missing prereqs. I ran the fix it tool, rebooted and tried and that failed. so I rebooted and ran with the custom settings assuming thats what you meant with aggressive mode, rebooted and ran the update and that failed as well. i also wanted to note that as i type the computer is lagging quite a bit and a new pop up has began to run on start up. im going to restart so i can provide you with an exact name and run malware bytes again. ill post name and results in a few minutes

Offline thenut69

• Bronze Member
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2012, 10:04:34 pm »
the name of it is registry mechanic according to what it says, at start up all it does is slide up on bottom right hand corner of screen, ask to renew then hides its self again. also quick scan with malware bytes detected 0 malicious items.

Online Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2012, 10:30:54 pm »
Have you installed anything from PCTools? Check and uninstall anything from them or anything that says registry mechanic. Let me know if there is none, or if the popup remains.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline thenut69

• Bronze Member
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2012, 08:26:06 pm »
my parents know nothing of it being installed and yes it was PCTools from the look of it, i removed it using add/remove programs in the control panel and it gave me an option to remove a file named STKIT432.DLL also. i clicked yes to remove it and took a screenshot. here is the image attached. still having lag while typing this response as well. it seems to lag a bit then it wont lag, and goes back and forth. i can get in a whole sentence before it catches up sometimes. I'm going to reboot and see what happenes and post again.

Offline thenut69

• Bronze Member
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2012, 08:38:28 pm »
it appears that the uninstall was successful. i wanted to note that underneath the registry mechanic there is another program called RegTweaker version 3.2.2 as well. not entirely sure what it is but thought it might be another registry tool. i ran a search for PCTools folder as well and nothing came up, and when the computer booted up the pop up did not show up

Online Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2012, 08:47:30 pm »
Please uninstall RegTweaker as well. Look thru the programs installed and if any of them are obviously registry tweakers, get rid of them as well. For someone that does not know the registry, they are dangerous tools to use. If you know the registry, then you don't need the tools.

How is the computer running, any lags? If there are any other problems lets take care of them. There is a process we can try to get that one last update done, but I am beginning to suspect that it is not a valid update for your machine.

Consumer Security

Offline thenut69

• Bronze Member
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »
ok I'm going to remove the regTweaker program, scrolling through this list there are some strange programs, for example. theres one that says "get high speed internet!" i'm kinda blown away by that, is there a way to provide you a list of this?

Online Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2012, 08:58:57 pm »
There is, but I am trying to remember how.

Consumer Security

Online Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2012, 09:02:21 pm »
Now I remember. You need Spybot Search and Destroy.

Download and scan with Spybot S&D 1.6.2
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

1. Install Spybot. Be sure to UNCHECK TeaTimer when presented with the option to install.
           2. Run Spybot, go to the Menu Bar at the top choose Mode and make certain that "Default mode" has a check mark beside it.
           3. Click the button "Search for Updates".
           4. If any updates are found, install them by placing a checkmark next to each one and clicking "Download Updates".If you encounter any error messages while downloading the updates, manually download them from here.
           5. Click on "Immunize". When it detects what has or has not been blocked, block all remaining items by clicking the green plus sign next to immunize at the top.
           6. Click the button "Check for Problems".
           7. When Spybot is complete, it will be showing RED entries, bold BLACK entries and GREEN entries in the window.
           8. Make certain there is a check mark beside all of the RED entries ONLY.
           9. Choose "Fix Selected Problems" and allow Spybot to fix the RED entries.
          10. REBOOT to complete the scan and clear memory.

Note: After Windows loads, Spybot may run again to clean some files that it could not clean during the prior session. Follow the same procedure.

Now go to Mode and select Advanced. Then on the left down at the bottom click on Tools, then click on uninstall info. Now up at the top is an export button. The list will be exported to a text file where you designate. Attach that to your next response.

Consumer Security

Offline thenut69

• Bronze Member
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2012, 09:05:20 pm »
ok downloading now. ill post again with results as soon as i have them

Offline thenut69

• Bronze Member
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2012, 10:27:21 pm »
ok went ahead and ran the scan as instructed, it cleared 38 items if im not mistaken. most said browser, there was 1 malware, and some others. i restarted computer and explorer blacked out three times while i was trying to get to spywarehammer and hasnt blacked out since, here is the report as requested

Online Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2012, 10:54:42 pm »
OK, there are some programs that probably could be removed, but you can do that at your leisure.

Try reinstalling these four updates.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900325
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912067
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963027
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925766

Let me know what happens.

Consumer Security

Offline thenut69

• Bronze Member
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2012, 11:23:30 am »
ok ill try to get to it today. sorry for the delays

Online Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2012, 11:39:42 am »
No worries.

Consumer Security

Offline thenut69

• Bronze Member
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2012, 09:05:44 pm »
ok so having some issues. the firsts update link required ie explorer version 5 or higher and im running chrome and that didnt work. the second one failed when trying to instal with the same message as beforel. im going to try the next ones