Author Topic: [Resolved K] Malwarebytes will not open, Avast firewall will not run,  (Read 5986 times)

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
Re: [Resolved K] Malwarebytes will not open, Avast firewall will not run,
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2012, 03:08:01 am »
Re-install the software for your ext HD, then use your system as normal for 12 hours or so, see how it goes, If you get any BSOD run Blue Screen Viewer and post the log..

Offline Kaz

• Bronze Member
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2012, 10:39:31 am »
Everything seems to be alright on system #2.  No BSOD. Running pretty smoothly.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2012, 01:44:23 pm »
Excellent news, ok do the following :-

Step 1

• Download OTC by OldTimer and save it to your desktop. Alternative mirror
  • Double click icon to start the program.
    If you are using Vista or Windows 7, please right-click and choose run as administrator
  • Then Click the big button.
  • You will get a prompt saying "Begining Cleanup Process". Please select Yes.
  • Restart your computer when prompted.
  • This will remove tools we have used and itself. Any tools/logs remaining on the Desktop can be deleted.
Step 2

If any of the following remain on the Desktop either delete or drag to the recycle bin:

RogueKiller
RKQuarantin folder
RKReport.txt
Security Check
Blue Screen Viewer

Step 3

We need to remove ESET Online Scanner.

• Click Start, click Run, type control appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
  • Click to select ESET Online Scanner from the application list, and then click Remove. Only re-boot if prompted
Step 4

Download TFC  to your desktop, from either of the following links
 Link 1
 Link 2
  • Save any open work. TFC will close all open application windows.
  • Double-click TFC.exe to run the program. Vista or Windows 7 users right click and select “Run as Administartor”
  • If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.
Save any open work. TFC will automatically close any open programs, let it run uninterrupted. It shouldn't take longer take a couple of minutes, and may only take a few seconds.  TFC may re-boot your system, if not Re-boot it yourself to  complete cleaning process <---- Very Important

Keep TFC it is an excellent utility to keep your system optimized, it empties all user temp folders, Java cache etc etc.  Always remember to re-boot after a run, even if not prompted

Step 5

We now need to reset your system restore points and create a new clean one. To do this "Turn off" System restore > Left click start > Right click My Computer > Left click Properties > Select System restore tab > put tick in Turn off System Restore box > apply > ok. To reverse as previous but remove the tick from Turn off System Restore > apply ok.

Create the new restore point > Start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore > create a restore point > In the Restore point description box give it a name for reference eg. Clean 1. The time and date are added automatically > then select create and follow the wizard out.

Let me know if those steps complete OK, also if any remaining issues or concerns..

Kevin

Offline Kaz

• Bronze Member
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2012, 02:59:05 pm »
Everything completed OK. 

Only issue reamaining, I am getting this error message on startup on system 1:

Spooler SubSystem App has stopped working

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_spoolsv.exe_ef89a0a7782f7e18fbe39c9c508119b551258643_cab_13a41b50\WERDEA.tmp.hdmp

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I was unable to print two days ago, but found a fix online. I can print, but this error keeps coming up.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2012, 04:11:15 pm »
Is this just a basic printer? if so uninstall all of the printer software via Control Panel > Uninstall a program. Leave your printer connected then re-boot. Windows 7 should attribute a driver, does that help?

Offline Kaz

• Bronze Member
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2012, 04:15:41 pm »
I did that after going into services and turning on Spooler and checking it's dependencies to make sure they were running. I will do it again.

Thanks Kevin.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »
OK.... :t

Offline Kaz

• Bronze Member
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 07:25:12 pm »
Well, I got home tonight, booted the system and the spooler error seems to have taken care of itself.  I shut it down and rebooted. Nothing.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

There is one other issue you may be able to assist me with.  On the 2nd machine, prior to any of the present problems.  The system always boots to the options screen before going to window: ask if I want to load XP or Safe mode, etc.

How do I get it back to normal?

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 03:52:58 am »
Select > Start > Run > type "msconfig" tap enter or slect OK, select the "Boot" tab, can you give me a screen shot of that window.

Select Ctrl - Alt - Prt Sc SysRq together, select > start > Accessories > Paint. Right click into the work area and select Paste.
Save that as a jpeg not Bitmap, attach that shot to next reply...

Kevin

Offline Kaz

• Bronze Member
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2012, 04:28:09 pm »
Here's that screenshot:

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2012, 05:26:37 pm »
Ah now I see what you mean, when you boot you are given the option to boot to the Recovery Console or Windows, Windows being the default after a given time. If you want to go to the RC you have to use the up/down arrows and select it.

I recommend that you leave that option available to you, the RC can be used to help repair your system in a number of situations, have a read here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654 It really is a worthwhile option to have available to you....

If you have no more issues here are some tips to reduce the potential for malware infection in the future:

Make proper use of your antivirus and firewall

Antivirus and Firewall programs are integral to your computer security. However, just having them installed isn't enough. The definitions of these programs are frequently updated to detect the latest malware, if you don't keep up with these updates then you'll be vulnerable to infection. Many antivirus and firewall programs have automatic update features, make use of those if you can. If your program doesn't, then get in the habit of routinely performing manual updates, because it's important.

You should keep your antivirus and firewall guard enabled at all times, NEVER turn them off unless there's a specific reason to do so. Also, regularly performing a full system scan with your antivirus program is a good idea to make sure you're system remains clean. Once a week should be adequate. You can set the scan to run during a time when you don't plan to use the computer and just leave it to complete on its own.

Install and use WinPatrol  This will inform you of any attempted unauthorized changes to your system.

WinPatrol features explained Here

You will have several programs installed, these maybe outdated and vulnerable to exploits also. To be certain, please run the free online scan by Secunia, available Here   Before clicking the Start scan  button, please check the box for the option Enable thorough system inspection. Just below the "Scan Options:" section, you'll see the status of what's currently processing....
...when the scan completes, the message "Detection completed successfully" will appear in the Programs/Result section. For each problem detected, Secunia will offer a "Solution" option. Please follow those instructions to download updated versions of the programs as recommended by Secunia.

Use a safer web browser

Internet Explorer is not the most secure tool for browsing the web. It has been known to be very susceptible to infection, and there are a few good free alternatives:

Firefox,

Opera, and

Chrome.

All of these are excellent faster, safer, more powerful and functional free alternatives to Internet Explorer. It's definitely worth the short period of adjustment to start using one of these. If you wish to continue using Internet Explorer, it would be a good idea to follow the tutorial HERE which will help you to make IE MUCH safer.

These browser add-ons will help to make your browser safer:

Web of Trust warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous ones:

Available for Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Green to go,
Yellow for caution, and
Red to stop.

Available for Firefox only. NoScript helps to block malicious scripts and in general gives you much better control over what types of things webpages can do to your computer while you're browsing.

These are just a couple of the most popular add-ons, if you're interested in more, take a look at THIS article.

Here a couple of links by two security experts that will give some excellent tips and advice.

So how did I get infected in the first place by Tony Klein

How to prevent Malware by Miekiemoes

Finally this link HERE will give a comprehensive upto date list of free Security programs. To include - Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall, Antimalware, Online scanners and rescue CD`s.

Don`t forget, the best form of defense is common sense. If you don`t recognize it, don`t open it. If something looks to good to be true, then it aint.

Let me know if you are OK to close out this thread...

Take care,

Kevin

Offline Kaz

• Bronze Member
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2012, 05:43:14 pm »
Thanks much Kevin.  Your support and expertise saved me from a lot of stress and lost time. You guys are doing a great job here.

I will leave the boot sequence as recommended.  I don't really use IE. Only when absolutely necessary.  I will add the security add ons to my fFirefox browser.

:ty  Thanks again, and have a great year. 

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 07:31:01 pm »
Since this issue appears to be resolved  the topic has been closed. Glad we could help.  :t

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this System only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own System. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.