Author Topic: [Resolved] Monitor not displaying correctly  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
Re: [Resolved] Monitor not displaying correctly
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 09:43:06 am »
I always click the start button then select shutdown.  I also noticed  twice since the fist time I start talking to you that the system automatically reboot itself and the same message also displayed.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 10:05:16 am »
Read through These Instructions and see what Vista's error reporting service has provided for your issues. Follow those recommendations and post back the results. Let us know what issues were reported and what you did to resolve them. Also make note of those for which Windows has found no solution and post them here. Thanks!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 10:24:59 am »
Not finding what the link told me to find in control  panel but I think I got to where it wanted me to go. This morning I turned on the computer and again same message. I noticed that if I left it shut down overnight, I will get this error when I turned it on in the morning.  If I power down now and turn it up, I won't get the unexpected shut down message.  I also tried it yesterday but waiting an hour or so, no problem.  So I think the longer I let time lapse during shut down, the more likely it will happen. 

Anyway I clicked on "check for solution", I get this:

"address a problem with Intel graphics driver"
 Intel graphics driver has stopped working properly
A driver update, if available might prevent this problem from recurring

1. check for optional third party updates
2.try updating intel graphics manually
3.check the intel corp. website for driver updates
4.check your computer manufacturer's website for driver updates

In device manager this is what I have under display adapters:
-intel(R) G33/G31 expresss chipset family. driver version 7.14.10.1437 with 2/11/2008 date

The first 2 options say that what I currently have is what is best for my computer.
option 3 Intel corp website has a newer driver available date 2009.

If I choose to download and update this driver, what is best way for me to go back to original driver if it makes it worse? Or if my current driver is bad, can it be repaired somehow?

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 10:42:40 am »
Click start...then type Device Manger into the "Search files and programs" box. Click on the device manager that the search returns. When it opens, make note of any item in the list of devices that has a question mark or exclamation mark next to it. Next, click the "view" menu at the top and select Show hidden devices. Now look for "Non-plug and play drivers" in the list and click to expand it. Make note there of any items in the list with a question mark or exclamation mark next to it and post that information back here. Thanks!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 11:01:23 am »
nothing with " ? " or "!"

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 11:47:54 am »
OK, what drivers are listed in Non-Plug and Play that appeared to be grayed out?
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 03:05:01 pm »
nothing appeared to be grayed out.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 03:26:58 pm »
Hmm, so far, everything indicates there is no problem. You asked how to roll back a driver earlier, so if you think that's going to solve your issue, then go back to the device manager, find the problem device, right-click on it and select properties, then click the driver tab. From there, click the "Roll back driver" button.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 04:29:30 pm »
when I went under "performance and tools" there is a report dated 6/25/2011  that list intel graphics kernel mode driver for the driver intel(r) g33/G31 express chipset family causing the windows to resume slowly.  could this be an early sign of my currently problem. 

Also under performance information and tools >advance tools there are alot of error and warning in the operational event log.  do these relate to my current problem? I have screen shot of these if you want to see what I am talking about. Thanx

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 04:46:05 pm »
when I went under "performance and tools" there is a report dated 6/25/2011  that list intel graphics kernel mode driver for the driver intel(r) g33/G31 express chipset family causing the windows to resume slowly.  could this be an early sign of my currently problem. 

It seems to me that it was six months ago if your issue were a "slow to resume from sleep" issue back then. You said more recently that no driver in the device manager had an exclamation mark so I doubt it relates to your "monitor not displaying correctly" issue at present.

Also under performance information and tools >advance tools there are alot of error and warning in the operational event log.  do these relate to my current problem? I have screen shot of these if you want to see what I am talking about. Thanx
I would only be interested in seeing those that relate to the display.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 06:37:20 pm »
What I'd like you to do is to click start-->control panel-->System-->advanced system settings. In the system properties box "Advanced" tab, click the "Startup and Recovery" Settings button.

Remove the check from the box labeled "Automatically restart". Click "OK", and "Apply", then close it. You should reboot at that point. What this setting will do, is to prevent the automatic reboot when the system experiences a fatal error. When that happens, the system will come to an abrupt halt with a Blue Screen.

The text that will appear on that screen will help to determine why the system came to a stop. That information will help us to determine which driver is causing this issue. The driver information that is relative, should appear at the bottom of the screen. It is important to write down exactly what you see on that screen. Then...you will have to restart the system manually by pressing and holding the button on the PCU tower.

Next, please click start then type or copy and paste the following into the "Search programs and files" box:
msinfo32.exe
...then click the msinfo32 icon that the search returns. When the System Information window opens, expand it to fit the entire screen and make sure the scroll bar is up, not down. Take a screenshot of it and attach it on your next reply.

Next, click the + sign next to Components in the left pane to expand it. Now, find in the list, Display and click there. I also need a screenshot of that.

Please post back both screenshots, and remember, at any time now if the system stops with a blue screen, write down the data that appears on the screen exactly as it appears and let me see that too. Thanks!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2012, 09:20:12 am »
I didn't get the blue screen. I did all the steps except where u instruct to click "apply" after removing the check from 'automatically restart". that button was grayed out so i clicked "ok" instead. I restarted after that setting was changed and also waited to restart the computer this morning from shutdown as well.  Neither gave me the blue screen.  However I also did not get the message about window unexpectedly shutdown this morning.  Did that setting prevented that message from popping up?

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2012, 05:55:45 pm »
That setting simply prevents the system from rebooting automatically when the system crashes. A typical "unexpected shutdown" message will show up as a black screen, and you'll see this after you restart the system manually. Most often, I have seen this occur when the system was improperly shutdown, such as when a user presses and holds the button on the cpu tower to force a system shutdown.

This same affect can be achieved if the system's power was interrupted, such as in a power failure or lightening strike...something on that order.

A system crash, and an improper shutdown are not entirely the same thing although both have the same effect on the system, and that is, that the system  shuts down unexpectedly. So, in either case, you will see that message on start up.

I suspect your situation is the system crash although you have consistently described this as a screen you see on starting the system. Had your system settings already been tweaked to prevent the automatic reboot, I would think you would have said so when I rendered those instructions.

Since you did not, I can only assume they were not...so, if you had been experiencing a system crash, then I can expect that you will now be able to post the related data the next time this happens.

Now...what about the system info I asked for? May I see it please?

Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 08:45:04 am »
ok here are the info

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2012, 09:42:55 am »
From what you have posted, it appears the driver you should be using for that display, is here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17407&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20Vista%20*&DownloadType=Drivers
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12