Author Topic: [Resolved] Monitor not displaying correctly  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
Re: [Resolved] Monitor not displaying correctly
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 08:06:08 am »
On previous post I mentioned I found a driver and this was it. That's when I asked u if I installed and if it made things worse could I roll back to previous driver. 

So I went to wake up the computer this morning and I couldn't. My wife put it to sleep last night but it seems like it never went completely to sleep. I pushed the power button then it went to sleep.  I then woke it and and i again I get the window just recover from unexpected shutdown.  Attach is a screen shot of that message. I did went in power setting and changed "turn off the display to "Never" and put teh computer to sleep to "never".  I did this so she can watch a movie without the computer going to sleep.  Did these setting prevent the computer going to sleep at user request? I thought it just prevent the computer to automatically go to sleep on its own.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 10:15:39 am »
On previous post I mentioned I found a driver and this was it. That's when I asked u if I installed and if it made things worse could I roll back to previous driver. 

So I went to wake up the computer this morning and I couldn't. My wife put it to sleep last night but it seems like it never went completely to sleep. I pushed the power button then it went to sleep.  I then woke it and and i again I get the window just recover from unexpected shutdown.  Attach is a screen shot of that message. I did went in power setting and changed "turn off the display to "Never" and put teh computer to sleep to "never".  I did this so she can watch a movie without the computer going to sleep.  Did these setting prevent the computer going to sleep at user request? I thought it just prevent the computer to automatically go to sleep on its own.

Truthfully, the way you have just described the series of events, it does read more like the steps you took relate to the reason behind these messages.

You were thinking that your wife tried to put the computer into sleep mode, but it didn't go completely to sleep, so when you pushed the power button, instead of sleeping, the computer shut down. That's why you thought by pressing the button it went into sleep mode, because when the system shuts down, or enters sleep mode, you would hear the disk spin down as it would in either case.

Now, when you tried to wake it this morning, you pressed the button once again. Right? And when you did, instead of waking from sleep, it actually tried starting up. When it started, it discovered the unexpected shutdown from the previous night which is why you received the message you posted a screen shot of...and is why all the others as well.

By George, I do think we've got it now lol...

If I were you, what I would do is to change those power settings back to default. If you want to adjust the amount of time delay for system sleep, I've attached a screen shot of where you'll find that setting. Also, just make sure your settings for "Hibernate" are turned off. The reasoning for it is two fold One reason is that option is really not meant for a desktop computer, although folks do use it for that and the other reason is to save disk space. Hibernate uses a HUGE amount of space and for a desktop, it's needless.

Hibernate really has more of a benefit for laptop users. You could also turn off the sleep feature so that it never sleeps either and just allow the screen saver to take over if you are going to be away a short time...otherwise, my advice would be to shut the system down. You really have no need to keep it running while you are away, and be leaving it turned off, you are saving electricity for one thing, wear on the hard disk for another.

I'd also be sure to set a password for your protection in the off chance you might encounter the unthinkable...burglary. If the system is stolen, one would be able to benefit from that computer as long as you have no password set. Even with a password, you can set it so that it won't be necessary to re-enter the password each time it wakes from sleep or screen saver. Quite often folks want to use the sleep or hibernate mode because of their password issues, but it can be eliminated as to the requirement for entering it after sleep as stated, but it sure comes in handy in the event that system is stolen.

Anyway, after you've made this adjustment, leave it that way and see if your warning message about unexpected shutdown has disappeared. Let me know.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 07:07:33 am »
Your assessment is correct. thinking back, my wife was the last the person to use the computer every time this happened. when I went to use the computer, the power light was on but the monitor was powered off. I asked my wife and she said she put it to sleep. I can't wake the computer by touching the mouse nor keyboard.  the power button was not blinking( it blinks when it's in sleep state).  I touched the power button then the computer power down and light went off on the power button. touching the power button again starts the computer and the message appears.  The message only appears if I log into an administrator account. and once logged on the screen sometimes flashes a few time before it finish loading.

Now the question is why didn't the computer completely go to sleep.  I have been testing this out.  Three accounts on this computer can't put the computer completely to sleep and my wife's account is one of them.  The monitor would go to sleep but the computer would just stuck their with the power light on.  I didn't hear anything running.  The minute I tap the power button then it powers down.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 09:43:46 am »
Power settings are peculiar to each user account. Check each user account's power settings and make sure they are all the same. You might otherwise, just disable the sleep feature entirely and just shut it down when not in use.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 10:51:49 am »
The settings are all the same.  Do you think something might be corrupted with other users account? Maybe deleting them and create new ones will correct the problem. 

Well the sleep features is important in this case. This is my son's computer.  He is Autistic and the computer is his world.  We need the computer to motivate him for everything from doing his homework to therapy on a daily bases.  Each day he create several projects that takes alot of time to load.  shutting it down would mean he has to start over or wait for it load again and that frustrates him. Until I can afford a more powerful computer this will have to do for now. So anything else u can suggest I am willing to try. Thanx

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 01:48:51 pm »
Ok, maybe you need to check your screen saver settings. When your wife thought the computer went to sleep, maybe it was just in the screen saver mode. Watch what she does when she puts the computer in sleep mode. You evidently know how it's done, but the wife's method is questionable.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 02:14:48 pm »
I put the computer to sleep from her account  yesterday and this morning.  It will not go to sleep completely.  I left it there for about 5 hours and it would not go to sleep. The monitor will power down but the cpu will remain on. As soon as I touched the power button the computer would turned off.  I have 2 accounts for myself for trouble shooting.  One of them I can't put the computer to sleep completely either. So why in one account it will sleep while another it won't. All the settings are the same.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 04:35:32 pm »
OK, tell me in detail what steps you go through when you want to put the computer to sleep.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Hualong

• Bronze Member
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 07:32:56 am »
If the computer is clear of malware, lets clean up. Thanks

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2012, 08:00:32 am »
This system was clear of malware from the beginning of this thread. The only thing we removed was the stolen software. Below are your cleanup instructions followed by my recommendations. This thread will close at your request with this post...
You can remove these now:
DDS and related files
CKScanner

Next, please click start...then enter [CMD[/b] in the "Search programs and files" box. In the returned search you should see the command prompt icon at or near the top of the window. Right-click on it and select "Run as administrator". When the command prompt window opens, copy/paste the line below in Boldtext then press your Enter key:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Performing this function will uninstall Combofix, delete its related folders and files, reset your clock settings, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and resets System Restore again for you automatically.

To assist in the prevention of malicious software intrusion and infections, you can begin by reading "How to boost your malware defense and protect your PC"...

Please remember to keep antivirus software on board and always use it's real time protection feature. Run a complete system scan at least once a week...preferably in Safe mode.

A word of caution
Security vendors, in recent years, have partnered with "Ask.com" in providing the "Ask Toolbar" bundled with their download(s).

Although the toolbar is considered to be a Legitimate program, it is nonetheless questionable as to it's behavior. It is alleged to be spyware/adware as the behavior of this application tracks a user's history and sends "search" information to it's servers in order to provide a user with targeted search results, many of these results may also be for questionable web sites. In fairness, one should keep in mind, google does the same thing regarding search results.

This tracking is considered by many of us in the security field, to be offensive.

Some of the "Download links" that I may provide, may also contain this program bundled with it. If you choose not to use it, the bundled software will always contain an "Opt Out" measure via some checkbox. The user can check (or uncheck) this box to prevent the download.

If a user isn't cautious and may have mistakenly installed this program, it can easily be removed via the "Uninstall" string provided with the software. Detailed instructions how to remove the program can be found Here.

If your antivirus program is a licensed version that is about to expire, you can consider using one of these available free on the public domain:

Microsoft Security Essentials
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic
Avast! 4 Home Edition

Those of us in the online safety/security community have tried and tested these programs to determine their abilities. Having in mind, nothing is ever a guarantee regarding computer security, these programs nevertheless, combined with the rest of these recommendations are certain to have an impact in helping to keep your system running free and clear. I personally have been completely satisfied from having tested and used each one of those at one time or another.

Immunize your browser by installing Spywareblaster. What does it do?
  • Prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
  • Blocks spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
  • Restricts the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.
Keep your anti-virus and spyware definitions up to date. Be sure to scan often.

Web of Trust, (WOT,) warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
  • Green to go
  • Yellow for caution
  • Red to stop
WOT has an add-on available for both Firefox and IE.

Install the Winpatrol security monitor utility. WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. What I hear most from users is how much they like the startup control feature and it's ease of use. Need help understanding something about Winpatol? Here it is.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a software firewall built in and activated by default. This native firewall is a big improvement and is fine by itself. However, there are third party software Firewalls that offer a bit more configuration options.

Below you can choose from several of the freeware Firewalls available on the public domain. Even though you may have a Firewall already installed, keep this list handy should you choose not to renew your subscription for whatever reason. I should also mention, if you choose to use a third party firewall, make certain the Windows firewall is turned off to prevent conflict issues.

...and please remember, you should have only one of these types of third party firewalls running on board:

Zone Alarm...Windows 2k/XP/Vista

Outpost Free

Comodo...I highly recommend this firewall, but it may just be best suited for advanced users.

Stay updated with the most recent Windows patches using Microsoft's Windows Update. Make it easy on yourself, and set this feature to Automatic.

Using an alternate browser can reduce your chance of certain infections installing themselves. I recommend installing Mozilla Firefox. If you don't already have "Firefox", please consider installing and using this browser for surfing.

If you still wish to use Internet Explorer, please make sure you install SpywareBlaster (from above) to protect you from most ActiveX infections.

Run CCleaner often. Please avoid using the "registry" cleaning feature of this utility unless you consider yourself an expert. Contrary to popular thought, the Windows Registry has no need of any "cleaning". I personally challenge anyone to show a substantial benefit from having used any of these "registry cleaning" programs. There is none. Any difference at all is so miniscule that it's nearly impossible to calculate.

On the flip side, rather than any benefit, there is the possibility of slicing out enough pieces of the registry to render things useless...and that includes the operating system.

By default, CCleaner will ask you if you want to backup what is removed, and I suggest you do just that. If you have already used this option and found that something no longer works properly, please find the backup that was created and use it to restore that particular item. Remember, using this to clean the disk is absolutely useful and beneficial. A novice needs only to use the disk cleaning feature...and avoid the registry cleaning aspect. It's not difficult...just don't bother to click the Registry button on the menu.

CCleaner is an excellent...and fast disk cleaning utility that can easily be configured to suit your needs. Often, users find a simple reboot resolves a quirky performance issue which can come about as a result of the collection of temp files while browsing the web...and if you configure CCleaner to run on start up, then your system could be kept running fast and clean with each new user session.

The Yahoo Toolbar is included by default during the installation of the CCleaner utility...if you DO NOT WANT IT, be sure to remove the check from the "Add CCleaner Yahoo! Toolbar and use CCleaner from your browser" option during installation setup or else just download the Slim version (no toolbar...last download link at the bottom of that page)...

Or if you just want to run your on board Disk Cleanup ("Start--> Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Disk Cleanup" ), just open the utility and check off the following:
Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin, and Temporary Files.

Or if you just want to run your on board Disk Cleanup ("Start--> Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Disk Cleanup" ), just open the utility and check off the following:
Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin, and Temporary Files.

Don't forget to check your system's "defragmenter" settings. With Windows Vista, you have the option to set this as a scheduled event. It is best to have your system's "defrag" function scheduled for at least once a week.

So how did I get infected in the first place?
Regards, and Happy Surfing!

************************************************************************************************

This thread is now closed as the issue appears to be resolved.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12