Author Topic: Why the Feds Smashed Megaupload  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Bugbatter

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
Why the Feds Smashed Megaupload
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:14:54 am »

After a two-year investigation that moved from Hong Kong to the US to New Zealand, the US government has arrested Megaupload employees, shuttered the site, and gone after $175,000,000 in cash and prizes.

Complete Article:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/why-the-feds-smashed-megaupload.ars

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

Offline Bugbatter

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
Re: Why the Feds Smashed Megaupload
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:23:25 am »
Related blog from Trend Micro's Rik Ferguson:
http://countermeasures.trendmicro.eu/you-cant-fight-the-power-but-the-power-has-shifted/

Editing this post with the following related articles:

Anonymous Retaliates for Megaupload Shutdown
The hacker group hits government and content organizations
http://news.techworld.com/security/3331507/anonymous-retaliates-for-megaupload-shutdown/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:08:18 am by Bugbatter »

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:24:52 am »
It's obvious, something has to be done about the "copyright infringement" issue. The way it's going, I would think, the various cable and satellite companies should be next.

They do the very same thing...upload copyrighted material while paying customers use their VCRs, or whatever techie toy they own, to record a copy of whatever is uploaded...and make as many copies as they want.

I wish somebody would address that. Really...I see no difference. It's as clear to me as a bright sunny day. Why can't anyone else see this? Am I alone with this opinion? Seems like it...I haven't seen mention of it anywhere but I personally have certainly brought it up yet no explanation has been offered anywhere.

I'm certainly not trying to defend the actions of the file sharing crowd, but I would like to know where the lines are drawn. I don't share files. I don't download shared files...but I do own a VCR and I feel guilty as hell because I use it. I didn't buy it to use as it for a door stop, so I would love to know what the feds intend to do with my VCR, and the companies that manufacture them.

I said it before and I'll say it again...I'm all for the law but I believe it has some fatal flaws that, once highlighted, need to be streamlined. I am very vocal about copyright infringement, and when I find evidence of it in a log, that user is most often sent on his/her way unless I get cooperation from them to the extent they show me proof that the stolen stuff is removed and destroyed. That rarely happens, so I usually send them away.

However, I personally would like to know how it's perfectly legal to purchase a VCR that is designed to copy video from a Television broadcast, and translate it into either a VCR tape, or a digital DVD disk.

How many of you reading this own a VCR? Lemme see your hands...OK, all of you. Thanks.

Now...how many of you have NEVER used it to record some sort of broadcast from your cable/satellite TV? If you have, you are subject to prosecution for copyright infringement...just so ya know.

I liken this to drug paraphernalia. It's perfectly legal to own a "crack" pipe. If you USE it though, to smoke crack, of course you are subject to prosecution. That's also perfectly clear to me...but I own a VCR and I use it as well, so all this "copyright" stuff has me thinking I should just cancel my satellite subscription and set my VCR out by the curb. Do judges and lawyers who own VCRs feel guilty about this? Oh, they don't own VCRs?

Liars and cowards and bears, oh my!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:43:57 am »
They do the very same thing...upload copyrighted material while paying customers use their VCRs, or whatever techie toy they own, to record a copy of whatever is uploaded...and make as many copies as they want.

Take a look at this, http://w2.eff.org/IP/DRM/fair_use_and_drm.html

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:55 pm »
Why don't we all take our TVs, VCRs and Computers out to the curb and call it a day. I can't sleep another night knowing I might have screwed the media industry. Just imagine the headaches we'd all save the legal teams for both sides.

One day they might notice, nobody's buying any movies anymore. Maybe then they'll ask themselves why.

If YOU sell movies and expect folks to buy them, wouldn't you also expect the folks who buy them to have some way to view them? How, without some other form of intellectual property which can interpret what's on the media that the media industry wants to sell. Now, if the intellectual property which interprets the media is going to be part of the "one fell swoop" bust, then why would anyone want one. No one would...that in mind, without one, why would anyone want to buy a digital movie? Huh?

Idiots! All of them.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:33:19 pm »
If everyone quits buying movies, and they need to know why, then they need to look at the quality of their product. When all the "Blockbusters" in a year are remakes something is wrong.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline Bugbatter

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member

Offline siljaline

• Bronze Member
  • I'm Lovin' that double Wide
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:38:52 pm »
There has been much talk in the Warez community that some incarnation of the site would be back quickly after the DMCA takedown.

Is it baaaaaack?

http://consumerist.com/2012/01/megaupload-seems-to-be-up-and-almost-ready-to-run-again-without-a-domain-name.html
siljaline