Author Topic: [Resolved K] Low Disc Space on D: drive, file backup failed,  (Read 2858 times)

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
Re: [In Progress K] Low Disc Space on D: drive, file backup failed,
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 02:47:19 pm »
This what I was interested in Fourth Volume Recovery (D:) Dell amongst other manfacturers are known supply systems, specifically laptops without any installation CD`s. Instead they have a Recovery Partition.

I believe that is what your D:\ drive may be. If for any reason you need to re-install the system there will be specific keys to press during boot. Everything needed to return the laptop to factory release default is held in the recovery partition, if you`ve used the D:\ Partition for storing other data the recovery facility maybe lost.

If you still have a problem with AVast, UNinstall and Re-install the program, see if that helps. What other issues remain...

Offline Enigman_08

• Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 03:25:32 pm »
The strange thing is that I don't remember ever using the D:\ drive for storing any data. 

Should I try to do a System Restore to Factory Release Default?

Do you know which keys I should press during boot to try and access the Recovery Facility?

Should I try to Uninstall Avast and reinstall a fresh one before or after the attempt to System Restore to Factory Release Date?

What would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks, Enigman_08

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 04:10:27 pm »
If you go back to reply #4 you can see the following entry from the ESET log:

D:\PC\Backup Set 2012-01-01 200631\Backup Files 2012-01-01 200631\Backup files 3.zip   a variant of Java/TrojanDownloader.OpenStream.NBV trojan

Note the date 2012-01-01 it would appear that a back up of some description was done 1st January 2012, unfortunately it was infected and we had to remove it.

I`d uninstall/reinstall AVast to see if it then works OK, this will rule malware manipulation.

Regarding reverting back to factory image default, that means it goes back to the original set up, anything you`ve downloaded, saved or installed would be lost.

If you go Here and scroll to step 3 you`ll find the instructions to revert back to factory release image.

Before you even contemplate that procedure you should back up anything important to an external source, such as pictures, music, videos or data etc... That would have to be scanned before re-installing after the reset procedure was carried out.

The recovery option may not even work if data has been added to D:\ it may have corrupted the factory release image....

I wish I could be more positive....

Kevin

Offline Enigman_08

• Bronze Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 08:31:15 pm »
Hi, Kevin

I was able to complete a Dell Factory Image Restore.  Afterward, I took a look at the D: drive and there is still only 2% left on the D: drive.  It's still colored red and says there's only 200 MB left on the D: drive.  The C: drive has 86.3 GB free of 99.2 GB.  I turned off Automatic Backup.  I updated Windows Defender.  I ran a scan with Windows Defender and nothing showed up.  I then installed Avast Free.  I then deleted Java 6 update 7.  I then updated Java.  I then downloaded Mozilla Firefox and set it as my default browser.  I then ran a Full System scan with the Avast.  Before I ran the scan I checked 'advanced settings' and checked every box under every category so that it would scan everything thoroughly.

The results came back that "Some folders were unable to be scanned."

When I took a look at the report it said:

Name

D:\PC\Backup Set 2012-01-01 200631\Backup Files 2012-02-01 190001\Backup Files 1.zip|>C\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\lpn24ka7.default\places.sqlite

Status

Error: The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)

------------------

Action

Repair
Move to Chest
Delete
No Action

None of the above Actions were possible.  The 'Apply Action' button would not respond.  So, I just closed the Avast Interface.

So, I guess my questions are:

1.  Can these file(s) be deleted?

2.  What can I expect to happen to my computer if the files cannot be deleted?

3.  What do you recommend that I do from this point?

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 02:07:34 am »
Windows will always report D:\ drive as nearly full because it is. That drive should not be used for any other reason than to store the factory state default image.
I do not see any reason why files not related to the restore procedure cannot be deleted, you would have to be very careful what you delete, Right click on each file, select properties. You should be able to identify from the creation dates that will show in the properties window....

Personally I `d remove none essential files (anything not related to the restore procedure) from D:\

I`m pleased the restore feature still works for you, at least you`ve got your system back to the state when you received it. Make sure to check for Windows updates, specifically service packs. Your system will be outdated...

Let me know how you get on..

Kevin

Offline Enigman_08

• Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:25 am »
I have removed non essential files from the D: drive and now it appears normal.  I have 5.62 free of 9.99 GB on my D: Drive and the color bar has returned to blue.  I was careful with my deletions and did not delete anything that seemed associated with the restore procedure.

My computer is running very fast.  When I boot it takes less than a minute to reach the Desktop screen and everything to start and be ready to access the internet.  I'm afraid that if I start adding Windows updates that it will slow it down. 

Why do I need to install of these update?  It says that I have 97 essential updates that need to be updated.  I'm going to assume that the reason I need to update is for security purposes but:

1.  As long as I keep Windows Defender updated shouldn't that protect me?

2.  As long as I keep Avast updated shouldn't that protect me?

I absolutely hate it when my computer runs slow and I've noticed that when I've updated in the past my computer seemed sluggish.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 12:02:46 pm »
You definitely need all available Windows updates for the very reason you mention, Security. Having a good security set up is only part of the story. As well as Windows you must also keep Java, Adobe, infact any application that you run updated.

Keeping all temporary files to a minimum will help keep your system optimized, never be tempted to run any registry cleaners, they will do more harm than good.

I gave you a link to TFC by Old Timer, that little utility is one of the best all round temp file cleaners available. Always remember to re-boot after a run, even if not prompted.

If you have no more issues here are some tips to reduce the potential for malware infection in the future:

Make proper use of your antivirus and firewall

Antivirus and Firewall programs are integral to your computer security. However, just having them installed isn't enough. The definitions of these programs are frequently updated to detect the latest malware, if you don't keep up with these updates then you'll be vulnerable to infection. Many antivirus and firewall programs have automatic update features, make use of those if you can. If your program doesn't, then get in the habit of routinely performing manual updates, because it's important.

You should keep your antivirus and firewall guard enabled at all times, NEVER turn them off unless there's a specific reason to do so. Also, regularly performing a full system scan with your antivirus program is a good idea to make sure you're system remains clean. Once a week should be adequate. You can set the scan to run during a time when you don't plan to use the computer and just leave it to complete on its own.

Install and use WinPatrol  This will inform you of any attempted unauthorized changes to your system.

WinPatrol features explained Here

You will have several programs installed, these maybe outdated and vulnerable to exploits also. To be certain, please run the free online scan by Secunia, available Here   Before clicking the Start scan  button, please check the box for the option Enable thorough system inspection. Just below the "Scan Options:" section, you'll see the status of what's currently processing....
...when the scan completes, the message "Detection completed successfully" will appear in the Programs/Result section. For each problem detected, Secunia will offer a "Solution" option. Please follow those instructions to download updated versions of the programs as recommended by Secunia.

Use a safer web browser

Internet Explorer is not the most secure tool for browsing the web. It has been known to be very susceptible to infection, and there are a few good free alternatives:

Firefox,

Opera, and

Chrome.

All of these are excellent faster, safer, more powerful and functional free alternatives to Internet Explorer. It's definitely worth the short period of adjustment to start using one of these. If you wish to continue using Internet Explorer, it would be a good idea to follow the tutorial HERE which will help you to make IE MUCH safer.

These browser add-ons will help to make your browser safer:

Web of Trust warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous ones:

Available for Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Green to go,
Yellow for caution, and
Red to stop.

Available for Firefox only. NoScript helps to block malicious scripts and in general gives you much better control over what types of things webpages can do to your computer while you're browsing.

These are just a couple of the most popular add-ons, if you're interested in more, take a look at THIS article.

Here a couple of links by two security experts that will give some excellent tips and advice.

So how did I get infected in the first place by Tony Klein

How to prevent Malware by Miekiemoes

Finally this link HERE will give a comprehensive upto date list of free Security programs. To include - Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall, Antimalware, Online scanners and rescue CD`s.

Don`t forget, the best form of defense is common sense. If you don`t recognize it, don`t open it. If something looks to good to be true, then it aint.

Let me know when you`re `ok` to close out your thread,

Take care,

Kevin

Offline Enigman_08

• Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 02:18:13 pm »
I have read and tabbed for later reference all of the above that you have mentioned.  My computer is running nicely.  I will now create a system restore point so that if I have any problems in the future I can revert back to where my computer is at now.  Thank you for help.  It is greatly appreciated.  I will check back later to see if you have closed the thread or left any messages or comments.  Have a nice day. 

Sincerely,
Enigman_08

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 02:29:46 pm »
Since this issue appears to be resolved the topic has been closed. Glad we could help.  :t

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this System only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own System. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.