Author Topic: [Resolved] Fallout from "Smart Fortress 2012" cleanup.  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Bear

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: [In Progress B] Fallout from "Smart Fortress 2012" cleanup.
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2012, 01:54:14 pm »
Hi edw

None of the files found by these programs appear to be malicious.  Most have already been dealt with and are in quarantine some are in system restore files (which we are about to clean).  Assuming your PC and internet connections are functioning properly, we can finish up.

1.  Uninstall ComboFix as follows:  Copy the code in the code box below.

Code: [Select]

combofix /uninstall

Now click on start/run and paste the copied code into the input box.
Click OK.  Reboot your PC.

2.  Next disable and Enable System Restore.  Use the following instructions: System Restore XP.  Now reboot. 

Re-enable system restore with instructions from above and create a System Restore Point.
Go to All Programs, then to Accessories, System Tools  and System Restore. Check the box for Create Restore Point (do not select a restore point), then click Next and follow the instructions

3.  Run CCleaner as follows:

Select Options / Advanced and uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours" Then select the following:

In the Windows Tab:
Clean all entries in the "System" section.
Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
Clean any others that you choose.

In the Applications Tab:
Check all in the Firefox/Mozilla section.
Check all in the Applications section.
Check Sun Java in the Internet section.
Check all in the Multimedia section.
Check any others you choose.

Click the "Run Cleaner" button.  A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system. Click OK.  Click exit when done.

4.  Download OTC to your desktop and run it.

Click Yes to beginning the Cleanup process and yes to remove these components, including this application.  You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. Choose Yes.
This will remove most of the malware tools we have used.

5.   MOST IMPORTANT : Windows, IE and any other software you have that connects to the net, needs to be kept updated.  I recommend running Secunia PSI.  It will monitor the software you have installed and let you know when something needs to be updated.

6.  Go to Start/Windows Update and install all recommended updates.  You may have to do this more than once to get your operating system and Internet Explorer up to date.

7. Now update Java by clicking Here, click on Windows Online then click on Run/Install/Next and finally click Close when the installation is complete.

Click on Start/Programs and launch the Adobe Reader program.  Click on Help and Check for Updates and install all updates available.

8.  Now some tips for prevention of further infections:

Always use an updated anti-virus program. Make sure you update this weekly, if not more often. This is critical.

Keep Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware up to date as well.  Unless you have the paid version (which you can schedule), be sure to run scans several times per week.

Always use your firewall.  Learn how to use your firewall.   Only programs that need it should have access to the net.  But these are specific to the firewall you use, so you will need to learn how.  Check your firewall provider's web site for more information on making your firewall secure. 

9.  Go to WOT download and install this program.  It will help keep you safe on the internet.

Never run two Antivirus programs or two Firewalls at the same time.

NEVER use P2P or file sharing software.  Many P2P file sharing programs contain bundled spyware.  But all these programs expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process.  Many very malicious worms and trojans target and spread across P2P file sharing networks.

Before downloading, installing or using any malware detection/removal software check Rogue/Suspeckt Spyware List andRogue Applications List.  That way you will know if the program you are considering is safe.  If you want to know how it rates against other programs check out SpywareWarrior.

We have a good guide on how to prevent malware infections here at SpywareHammer.  You might want to peruse this and follow the recommendations Prevent Infection.

Let us know if you have any more problems, either new or old.  The internet is a wonderful tool for work and fun, but always be safe.

I would appreciate if after a couple of days of using your computer you let me know if everything is running fine so that I can close this post. 

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline edw

• Bronze Member
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2012, 08:31:28 pm »
  Done all the above.  All looks good.  I'll confirm in a couple of days. 
   Thanks VERY much indeed for your help.  I made a donation to the forum - though I hope not ever have to return.  Keep up the good work.

Offline edw

• Bronze Member
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2012, 08:50:55 am »
  Did some more scans today - computer appears clear of infection.  You can close out the thread.  Thanks!