OK, the best option for us now is to do a repair install of your operating system. This will Install a new OS over the top of the old. All of your data etc will remain intact. I`ve used this procedure many times very successfully, it is however always prudent to back up anything that you cannot afford to lose, there is always risk..
Before we begin it will be beneficial to download Service Pack 3 (SP3) and Internet Exlorer 8 (IE8) and save the installers to an external source such as CD`s USB memory stick or external HDD.
Please go to the following link and download the full installer for SP3: Here
Save the installer to an external source.
Next, Download IE8 installer from HERE
Save it to an external source.
If you do not have the facility to save those installers it is OK, it just means we have to d/l on completion of the repair/install.Repair install Windows XP
Select Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Scroll to IE8 and remove it. This is important so make sure that IE8 is removed. Then complete the following:
1. Place your XP CD in the tray and re-boot, you should see the following image as it boots:
When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you do not see that image you will have to change the boot order in the bios..
2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
3. Do NOT choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Setup.
Reboot into Normal windows, make sure all is OK. If you have SP3 and IE8 available boot into safe mode. Install SP3, boot to Normal windows and check for updates, re-boot and re-check. Do that until no updates are available.
Boot back to Safe mode, install IE8. Re-boot to normal windows and check for updates, re-boot and re-check. Do that until no updates are available.
If you do not have them, d/l now and save to your desktop then complete as above.
Let me know if that completes OK. If you are unsure of anything please ask. It will be beneficial to print off the above instructions so you have them available for reference.....