Author Topic: [InActive K] All Programs Missing, Cant Boot into "Normal" Windows  (Read 5875 times)

Offline artzdelux

• Bronze Member
Re: [InActive K] All Programs Missing, Cant Boot into "Normal" Windows
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 08:59:09 pm »
Logs attached.

I do not have the CD of the OS installed on the machine (a friend build the computer for me & installed from his copy).  I do have a different one though.  It is XP Pro w/ service pack 2.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 02:38:39 am »
It seems the more we kill the more we find, OK continue as follows:

Re-Run   by double left click, Vista and Widows 7 users right click and select Run as Administrator.
  • Under the box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:OTL
MOD - [2008/06/20 11:02:47 | 000,245,248 | ---- | M] () -- \\.\globalroot\systemroot\system32\mswsock.dll
SRV - File not found [Auto | Stopped] --  -- (Wuser32)
SRV - File not found [Auto | Stopped] --  -- (VSP1284D)
SRV - File not found [Auto | Stopped] --  -- (oracleoradb10g_home1isql*plus)
SRV - File not found [Auto | Stopped] --  -- (NetworkLog)
SRV - File not found [Auto | Stopped] --  -- (naveng)
SRV - File not found [Auto | Stopped] --  -- (As6frin)
SRV - [2012/02/22 18:26:54 | 000,078,848 | ---- | M] () [Auto | Stopped] -- C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\Adobe\sp.DLL -- (SPService)
SRV - [2007/01/04 16:38:08 | 000,024,652 | ---- | M] (Viewpoint Corporation) [Auto | Stopped] -- C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe -- (Viewpoint Manager Service)
IE - HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings: "ProxyServer" = http=127.0.0.1:5555
IE - HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings: "ProxyServer" = http=127.0.0.1:5555
FF - HKLM\Software\MozillaPlugins\@viewpoint.com/VMP: C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Media Player\npViewpoint.dll ()
:Services
PBADRV
:Files
ipconfig /flushdns /c
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PBADRV.dll
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\0o70yb7i77f051
c:\windows\system32\dds_trash_log.cmd
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Viewpoint
C:\Documents and Settings\Greg\Application Data\LimeWire
C:\Documents and Settings\Greg\Application Data\uTorrent
C:\Documents and Settings\Laura\Application Data\LimeWire
C:\Documents and Settings\Laura\Application Data\uTorrent
rmdir C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB13067$ /c
:Commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[Reboot]
  • Then click button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Post the log it produces in your next reply.

Next,

Your Hosts file is missing go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034 and run the Fixit.

Will the system re-boot Normal?

Kevin

Edit,

One other point to check if still only booting to safe mode, do the following:

1. Click Start
2. Go to run
3. Type msconfig tap enter or select OK
4. System Configuration utility should show up. Then click BOOT.INI tab
5. in boot options SEE if the /SAFEBOOT box has been checked, uncheck if it has, then click ok
6. then it will aks you if you wanna restart your computer and click restart. Accept the alert from sys config, tick to not show again.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:28:19 am by kevinf80 »

Offline artzdelux

• Bronze Member
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 06:12:00 pm »
Still no boot to normal windows.  No issue wit the safe boot check box.

I had to manually fix it, creating the new file, because it brought up an error and would not let me fix it using the automatic tool because I didnt have permission.

Log attached.

At this point, would it be easier to reinstall windows?  WOuld that eliminate the issues? 

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 06:40:15 pm »
A re-format of your HD and re-install of the OS should fix all of your issues, give this a try before you go that route..

Go to Start, then Run and type cmd into the Run box and tap <Enter>.  After the command box opens, type this at the prompt chkdsk /r and tap <Enter>.
Note the space between the "chkdsk" and the "/r".  You will get a message that the drive cannot be locked, but that the command can be scheduled to run at the next boot.  Type Y and then tap <Enter> again.  You will get a message that chkdsk has been scheduled to run on the next boot.  Then reboot.

chkdsk will run during the boot, and it will take quite a bit of time, particularly if your boot partition is large.  What the /r flag does is force chkdsk to run an expanded version of chkdsk that has 5 tests.  The last two will check the drive for file/folder/free space errors and also fix related MFT errors if there are any.

Can you now boot to Normal mode?

Offline artzdelux

• Bronze Member
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 09:22:35 pm »
Didnt work booted back in a.few secs attached is the screen shot

Offline artzdelux

• Bronze Member
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »
I prefer to not have to re install windows. I have many files on the hddi can't lose

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 02:25:01 am »
OK, the best option for us now is to do a repair install of your operating system. This will Install a new OS over the top of the old. All of your data etc will remain intact. I`ve used this procedure many times very successfully, it is however always prudent to back up anything that you cannot afford to lose, there is always risk..

Before we begin it will be beneficial to download Service Pack 3 (SP3) and Internet Exlorer 8 (IE8) and save the installers to an external source such as CD`s USB memory stick or external HDD.

Please go to the following link and download the full installer for SP3: Here Save the installer to an external source.

Next, Download IE8 installer from HERE Save it to an external source.

If you do not have the facility to save those installers it is OK, it just means we have to d/l on completion of the repair/install.

Repair install Windows XP

Select Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Scroll to IE8 and remove it. This is important so make sure that IE8 is removed. Then complete the following:

1. Place your XP CD in the tray and re-boot, you should see the following image as it boots:

When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key  to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you do not see that image you will have to change the boot order in the bios..

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do NOT choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Setup.

Next:

Reboot into Normal windows, make sure all is OK. If you have SP3 and IE8 available boot into safe mode. Install SP3, boot to Normal windows and check for updates, re-boot and re-check. Do that until no updates are available.

Boot back to Safe mode, install IE8. Re-boot to normal windows and check for updates, re-boot and re-check. Do that until no updates are available.

If you do not have them, d/l now and save to your desktop then complete as above.

Let me know if that completes OK. If you are unsure of anything please ask. It will be beneficial to print off the above instructions so you have them available for reference.....

Kevin

Offline artzdelux

• Bronze Member
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 11:24:20 am »
Is there any way I can set the computer up to recognize usb in safe mode? Right now usb is not recognized
In smwn. I could easily back up files to an external hdd

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 11:38:11 am »
USB devices should work in safe mode as far as i`m aware, select start > right click on "My Computer" > select > manage > device manager > scroll to USB controllers, expand. Are there any question or exclamation marks?

How does your mouse or keyboard connect..

Offline artzdelux

• Bronze Member
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 01:28:07 pm »
Got it to work. backing up now. Once I go this and follow your repair steps
above what's next? Anything I should install or uninstall for better performance and issue prevention?

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 02:07:47 pm »
Let me know when the repair/install completes and you have updated to SP3 and IE8. When that is done we can run a diagnostic scan, if that is OK a final clean up and get a good security package in place...

Offline artzdelux

• Bronze Member
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 03:29:38 pm »
Awesome will do thanks.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 02:26:43 am »
Okey Dokey  :t

Offline artzdelux

• Bronze Member
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 07:32:46 am »
Update - everything worked but after I online activated during installation, computer froze.  i had to hard power down.  It booted into windows, and I could see all of my files, but 2 things I noticed were weird.
1. Nothing in start menu except "all programs" choice.  No control panel, run, search, etc.
2. could not right click on desktop and get into options to choose background, screen saver, etc.

I am guessing that the freeze messed up the installation.  My plan was to re-run your steps above, but not activate online.

Thoughts?

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:37 am »
Run the repair/install again, this time choose to activate by phone later.