Author Topic: [Resolved] Unable to remove old and install new Internet Security suites.  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Sorry, my brain was stuck in low gear last night.

1.Download and scan with CCleaner
When you get to the website, there is a dark grey box on the left side with two tabs along the top. Inside this Dark Grey box is a light grey box. Below that light grey box is where the download links are at. The pay amount is for paid support.
2. Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
3. Then select the items you wish to clean up.
In the Windows Tab:

• Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section except Cookies if you want to keep those.
    • Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section.
    • Clean all entries in the "System" section.
    • Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
    • Clean any others that you choose.

In the Applications Tab
      • Clean all except cookies in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
      • Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
      • Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.
      • Clean any others that you choose.

4. Click the "Run Cleaner" button.
      5. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
      6. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.
      7. Click "exit" when done.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
      Hoov, I've run CCcleaner and I downloaded FileHippo from your link and down a scan and updated 11 programs. and downloaded something called Driver Manager that6 I scanned with. It showed I had a whole load of out of date drivers amongst other things. To fix these you have to register and that get told you have to pay a fee. Do you know this application and is it worth buying in order to fix the drivers?
      I like the File Hippo and I shall probably go with it. I noticed after I had downloaded and removed old programs that Secunia notified me of  added or removed programs and that my system score was up to 97%. 

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
      • Diamond Member
        • Hoov's Personal Site
      Secunia and the File Hippo solutions have different databases that they compare with. So they may not agree 100%. No worries there.

As for Driver Manager, I would not recommend that. I have been looking for a similar program and I cannot find one that I trust. Right now, just go to the device manager and to each device and check for updates manually.

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
      Well Hoov some good news, a Lazarus moment has occurred. I manually updated all my drivers and in the process one called Ethernet Cable Device under Other Devices was removed. At the same time I was downloading the latest MS updates but immediately after the driver was removed Secunia started flashing like crazy, I clicked on it not expecting anything to happen and carried on doing what I was doing and then.... just like that I could see..... the Secunia Dashboard opened in front of my eyes for the first time in two years.

The only negative is that I have one out of date program identified as Mozilla Firefox version 8 which is most strange because I also uninstalled all my browsers today and downloaded the latest versions so I know that Firefox is up to date.

File Hippo tells me I need to update to Beta Versions of Chrome and Firefox but when I try nothing seems to happen; what is a Beta Version of a program and is it important?

Nevertheless I owe you a huge debt of gratitude for your patience, your time and your sterling work. It's always a worry when your computer doesn't work properly especially with the amount of personal and confidential data we keep on them but working with you guys is a pleasure and an educational experience as well.

The machine works much faster  from start up but still shuts down very slowly but I can live with that. Is there anything else I need to do to clean up.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
      • Diamond Member
        • Hoov's Personal Site
      Well that is suprising.

With Secunia, double click on the FireFox entry, it will tell you the exact file that is causing the problem. It could be the remnant of an old install, and not the entire program.

As for File Hippo and the beta versions, if you right click on the tray Icon and select settings, you can go to the results tab and check the box to hide Beta Versions.

You say that shutdown is slow, how is the startup? How long does the shutdown take?

Can you attach a new copy of your event viewer logs as you did earlier?

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
      Hoov,  as before their too large to attach. I've got rid of the details that I used before to get them to you. Can you send me a new PM?

The shut down speed was ! min 50 sec, but the time varies and sometimes it's longer.
      The start up from pressing the power button on the computer to Password Screen is 40 secs. From Password to the Internet is 20 secs, which is as fast as I can ever remember for this machine.

The Secunia Troubleshooting programme for Firefox is attached.

I accessed Filehopper through the desktop shortcut and unchecked the bax OK. Windows is blockiing the program from the system tray at Start Up because it states it needs permission.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
      • Diamond Member
        • Hoov's Personal Site
      Go ahead and delete this folder, C:\Windows\ERDNT that folder is created when doing a registry backup using a specific tool. But you don't need it anymore, so deleting that folder will get rid of the problem that Secunia found.

I have also sent you the PM on what to do with the logs.

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
      Latest logs are on their way. I deleted the program and its cleared on Secunia and i now have a score of 100%. Hooray.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
      • Diamond Member
        • Hoov's Personal Site
      OK, there looks to be a few more things to fix and we will be all done.

Do you use Windows Live at all?

Please download RunScanner
      • Save it to a folder you create such as C:\Runscanner (this assumes Windows is installed on your C: drive).
      • Launch Runscanner by double-clicking runscanner.exe within the C:\Runscanner folder.
      • Vista users must also click Continue to open Runscanner when prompted by User Account Control (UAC)
      • Check Beginner Mode
      • Click Scan computer
      • Your will see a "Runscanner scan in progress" window displayed while Runscanner scans your system
      • At the conclusion of the scan, save the run file called runscanner.run to your documents folder or directly to the Runscanner folder. This is the file you will need to upload.
      • A runscanner.log file will automatically open in Notepad. Just close the Notepad window because, it is ONLY the runscanner.run file that we are interested in.
      • Next, zip up the runscanner.run file that you just saved.
      • I want you to upload the zipped runscanner.run file as an attachment in your next reply
      • To do that choose "Additional Options" under "Post Reply"
      • Browse to the zipped RUN file location and then click the "Post" button to attach the file.
      • I will review the run file, and then upload it back to you with items marked for deletion.
      • Please await my directions and the returned RUN file, and do not delete anything in the interim

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
      The answer to your question Hoov is no I don't but my kids used to but don't now. Facebook has taken over.

The Runscanner file is attached, hopefully.

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
      Hoov, A very unexpected thing has happened whilst I was playing a game of hearts. I suddenly got the blue screen of death but before I could do anything it disappeared and I got the black Start Windows normally screen that took me back to the logon screen. I've logged back on and everything seems to be working as normal. A windows pop up told me there has been an unexpected shut down but that's it.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
      • Diamond Member
        • Hoov's Personal Site
      For the blue screen issue, go to the control panel then to the system control panel and then to the advanced system settings on the left side, then click the settings button in the Startup and recovery sections. Now in that popup uncheck the option to automatically restart on a system failure. Then click OK all the way to the desktop. The next time you get a BSOD, it will stay on the failure allowing you to write down the stop code and program involved so you can research it.

About the run scanner log, did you used to have Microsoft Office installed? Did you remove it? Would you mind removing it and Microsoft Live?

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
      Hoov, I've done that and the answers to your questions are; yes I have MS Office installed at present. I installed it from a disc I bought brand knew from a computer retailer.
      It is still running and it's something I use but I can uninstall that and MS Live if necessary. Will I be able to reinstall MS Office or should I get a different product to use? Also my lad has just had a brand new computer and loaded MS office on to it from my disk. Should he remove it?.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
      • Diamond Member
        • Hoov's Personal Site
      Next time you get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) make sure to note the stop code (it will look something like this, 0x000000) and the program it calls out (if there is one). If we are still working on the problem, let me know what they are. After you can do some searching on Google, or come back here and ask questions about it.

As for Windows live and Microsoft office, if you could go to the programs and features control panel, click on each one and then click on repair, that may take care of the problem.

About having MS Office on your computer and his, that is a legal issue. You are not suppose to do it unless you have a license that is valid on two computers. But if he is still in school, you can purchase a student version and then are able to install it on 3 systems. If I remember correctly a student license is $75 or so.

Once you have repaired live and office, reboot your computer and run runscanner again and give me a new runscanner log using the instructions from earlier.

Consumer Security

Offline dastal

• Bronze Member
      Hoov, My lad is a student and its the student version I have. In the UK when I bought it it cost far more than $75. Is it safe though to be on his computer. I appreciate it's an old disk, I bought it when it first came out in 2007 or 8 I think. I know it would need updating but he's already put on dozens of updates, can I do the same process with his machine?
      Also do I need to repair the MS Office live Add-in and the MS Office validation add-in because I need to insert the disk for these operations? I have repaired MS Office and Windows Live Essentials and Widows Live Mesh Active X Control for remote control. I can't repair Windows Live Sync because it's on a network source that's unavailable,