Author Topic: [Resolved K] got something going on, what do you think?  (Read 7598 times)

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
Re: [Resolved K] got something going on, what do you think?
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2012, 11:01:49 am »
Computer is still running VERY SLOW.  It take about a minute for the "control panel" to come up if I click on it. Here's my log for booting up the computer:

After the "Windows XP Screen"...

-Black screen: 3 minutes

-Windows is starting screen: 1 minute

-"Welcome" screen: 4 minutes

-Loading desktop w/ regular icons: 1 minute

-Loading all of the other icons/programs in the bottom right corner by the clock and getting opera on: 5 minutes

All together about 14-15 minutes for my computer to boot up from pushing the power button.

Downloading and getting through the list of things above to get to this point right now has taken me about 4 hours this morning.

I tried to defrag, but it was on for 2 hours and still only had 1 block on the row of green blocks. I tried it again, just leaving it on when I left, and when we got back about 3 hours later, the computer had frozen.

that's where I'm at...

ideas?

Again, thank you very much for helping me!

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2012, 12:22:26 pm »
how do I stop quicktime from starting with the computer?

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2012, 12:41:19 pm »
or stop a bunch of things from starting up with the computer. There's things like iPodhelper or something like that and iTunes something running. I don't even have an iPod.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2012, 03:14:51 pm »
The .txt file from CCleaner will have saved wherever you tell it to save, or if d/l already have a preselected folder it will go there. From your copied log do this:

Run CCleaner, select > tools > start up > "Windows Tab" below are your start up items, highlight in turn RED items and select Disable from the righthand pane.

Green items can be left alone, Blue items is your choice.

Yes   HKCU:Run   ctfmon.exe   C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Yes   HKCU:Run   Power2GoExpress   NA
Yes   HKLM:Run   Adobe ARM   "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
Yes   HKLM:Run   AMTDeviceService   "C:\Program Files\AMT Media Manager\AMTDeviceService.exe"
Yes   HKLM:Run   Anti-phishing Domain Advisor   "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Anti-phishing Domain Advisor\visicom_antiphishing.exe"
Yes   HKLM:Run   Broadcom Wireless Manager UI   C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe

Yes   HKLM:Run   EEventManager   "C:\Program Files\EPSON\Creativity Suite\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe"
Yes   HKLM:Run   iTunesHelper   "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

Yes   HKLM:Run   Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware   "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
Yes   HKLM:Run   Microsoft Works Update Detection   C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
Yes   HKLM:Run   MSKDetectorExe   "C:\Program Files\McAfee\SpamKiller\MSKDetct.exe" /uninstall
Yes   HKLM:Run   NeroFilterCheck   C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
Yes   HKLM:Run   QuickTime Task   "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

Yes   HKLM:Run   Recguard   %WINDIR%\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
Yes   HKLM:Run   Reminder   %WINDIR%\Creator\Remind_XP.exe
Yes   HKLM:Run   SigmatelSysTrayApp   stsystra.exe
Yes   HKLM:Run   SMSERIAL   C:\Program Files\Motorola\SMSERIAL\sm56hlpr.exe
Yes   HKLM:Run   SunJavaUpdateSched   "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

Yes   HKLM:Run   SysTrayApp   %ProgramFiles%\IDT\WDM\sttray.exe
Yes   HKLM:Run   TkBellExe   "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot

Re-boot your PC and see if that made a difference, if not we`ll do a clean boot and see if we can narrow down what is effectiing start up times...

Kevin

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »
ok, so I did all of that stuff and when I went to turn off the computer it said it had windows updates and 1 or 10 was being installed. Then a not came up that said please don't turn off your computer. Well, those two messages went back and forth for about an hour and a half and it was still on 1 of 10. I turned it off anyways. Turned it back on and the times are like this now:

From the power button...

-Black screen: 3 minutes 30 seconds (30 seconds better)

-Windows is starting: 30 seconds (30 seconds better)

-WELCOME: 3 minutes 30 seconds (30 seconds better)

-Desktop loading from image to being usable online: 4 minutes (2 minutes better)

All together this knocked off about 4 minutes, but still takes 10-11 minutes for the computer to be usable. What's the normal time? Before this happened, I'd have sworn it was unter 2-3 minutes all together.

thanks again!

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2012, 05:19:41 pm »
also, the computer runs really slow when navigating inside the control panel. Each new page locks up and I have to wait about a minute for it to load up. A Nortons message popped up while I was trying to install those same 10 windows updated with the computer on. (they froze on #1 again as well). The nortons message said "high usage" or something from the Visicom Anti Phishing Domain Advisor...whatever that is.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2012, 05:29:58 pm »
Maybe that application is clashing with Norton, I assumed it was OK; is powered by Pandascan. OK, Run CCleaner as you did before, select > tools > start up > with "Windows tab" selected highlight and disable the following:

Yes   HKLM:Run   Anti-phishing Domain Advisor   "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Anti-phishing Domain Advisor\visicom_antiphishing.exe".

Next,

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data,  Delete this folder Anti-phishing Domain Advisor

Re-boot and see if that helps

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 06:21:44 pm »
I did it, but there's no "application data" folder in the all users folder on the C drive under documents and setting. So I went into the control panel, which takes forever, and removed it that way. Wierd thing though. When it removed it, it said it was removing it from the location you told me, yet when I hit the C drive in My Computer, go into documents and settings, and into all users, the application data folder is not there. I went into every folder inside "documents and settings" and there was not an application data folder or file in any of them.

thoughts?

Another question...I have windows automatic update on and it's downloading xp updates and it says SP2. Is that Service Pack 2? Don't I download and install service Pack 3? Or does that matter?

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 06:29:47 pm »
Apologies, appdata is a hidden folder, it has to be changed to unhidden to see it. You got it so no problem....

If you are still having start up problems lets do a clean boot, see if that helps. Follow these instructions:

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig and then click OK.

The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

We now need to configure selective startup options:

• In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
  • Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
  • Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
  • Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  • Click Disable All, and then click OK. this will disable none MS services.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

If the clean boot fixes the issue do the following:

Repeat as above, ensure all MS services are hidden, enable half of the non MS services then re-boot. If the issue does not return do exactly the same again, this time only enable the bottom half of non MS services.
If the issue returns we know the issue is in the bottom half, so you now repeat again but only enable half of the bottom half. Keep doing that until you isolate the rogue sevice.

Let me know how you get on, I know it is a laborious task but it will locate the issue. Obviously if the issue happens with the initial clean boot we`ll have to think again....

Off to bed now, 12:30 am local time for me....

Kevin.

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2012, 06:42:30 pm »
ok, I'll give it a go. Thanks again for all of this!!

I rebooted after getting rid of the phishing thing...took 14 minutes from start to here.

Weird thing happened though, while it was loading on the desktop, just for a split second a black rectangle popped up on the desktop with a C prompt like when running the MBR program. Should I be deleting all of these programs from the desktop after using them?

Going to try the clean boot now and post the results. Again, thank you for your time!! We've been on this a good 10-11 days now. I really appreciate it!

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2012, 07:07:42 pm »
did a clean boot and the only thing I coudn't stop was Nortons since I am not on an administrator account now. The whole things from start button to finish took about 6 1/2 minutes. Still not sure if that's normal, but 7 1/2 minutes off what it was before.

Is it ok to run the computer without all of those services on?

I didn't turn anything back on. I remember you said try turning the top half on, then the bottom half, etc...to try and narrow it down, but I didn't know if that was still the plan so I just left it for now.

One thing I did notice is going through the control panel menu stuff was night and day. Screens load up in seconds as opposed to minutes and freezing.

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2012, 07:30:22 pm »
things are still a bit buggy though. Web pages are freezing half way through loading still...although in computer stuff seems to be running smoother.

The control panel menu still takes a long time to load up, and the computer still freezes at times too. But navigating through the control panel menu is faster by 10+ times easy.

Offline kevinf80

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2012, 01:21:21 am »
A clean boot is a diagnostic operation to try and find which service(s) is/are causing the problem. It would be very beneficial to find that out.
You mention that the account you are using does not have Admin status, what account are you using? Originally you were running a temporary account, is that no longer true.

Kevin..

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2012, 07:54:43 am »
I don't know. When i went in via safe mode with networking it gave me an "owner" and "administrator" option. I'm guessing I'm in an "owner" account then. The only thing that didn't stop was Nortons.

Offline ngt

• Bronze Member
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2012, 08:52:33 am »
Ok, so I tried the top half and bottom half thing. Some things STOPPED from the first time I did it and when checked, they aren't going back on.

Stuff that came on as RUNNING and didn't change the 6 minute boot up time:

MBAM Service
Java Quick Start
Alt Hotkey Poller
Nortons
PrismXL
Broadcom Wireless Lan

Stuff that STOPPED, but wouldn't start RUNNING again:

Google Service Updates
Google Service Updates
Google Software Updater
Windows Card Space
iPod Services
Office Source Engine
Windows Media Player N

I guess I need to log on as an Admin account. How can I do this? I know I get the option in safe mode. Should I boot up in safe mode, change the options, and then let it boot up in normal mode to see what causes a jump in computer load up time? Narrow it down by just getting those that didn't start RUNNING again to run by checking them and hitting APPLY, then OK...??

thanks!!!