Author Topic: [Resolved] Control Panel  (Read 35295 times)

Offline summer990

• Silver Member
Re: [In Progress] Control Panel
« Reply #240 on: May 03, 2012, 12:41:00 am »
I did a system restore back to Sunday, and it got rid of the PC Toolbar.  I also uninstalled Avast.  Everytime I have Avast installed in my computer I seem to have problems.  It's like that's the virus.  Maybe I should pay for the expensive high end version (not) still think there is a scam about Avast.  That's why I went with AVG.  Then I apparently caught something from that.  Thought an antivirus program was so pose to fix or prevent a virus or problem not cause it.  Anyhow since I deleted Avast my system seems to be running better for now...it almost came to a complete stop.  Took  a long time for a page to load.  I still think somethings in there somewhere.   

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #241 on: May 03, 2012, 07:50:25 am »
Are you willing to do a complete reinstall of windows if I walk you thru backing everything up, and then going thru the reinstall with you? I think that doing anything else at this point is useless.

Sorry I did not respond yesterday. I was under the weather.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline summer990

• Silver Member
« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2012, 12:46:41 am »
1) How long is it going to take?  So I can plan to have enought time at one sitting. 

2) I have never been able to erase something from a Cd like I can on a floppy.  I even have a new        Cd/Dvd player,and I use CD-RW.  Will I need to use Cds?

3) You said something about a boatload of Windows updates.  What about those?  Is there an easy way to do that?   

4) I guess we'll have to do a reinstall, but I don't want to do it when I'm rushed.  I want to do it correctly.   

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #243 on: May 06, 2012, 12:23:25 pm »
Sorry I did not respond. We had nasty Thunderstorms that went thru here Thursday (northern Michigan) and while there was not a lot of damage, there was a lightning strike to the tower where I get my wireless connection thru. They just got it fixed a few minutes ago.

To do the actual install of windows will only take an hour or two. The updates will take a lot longer, probably the better part of an afternoon. There is an easy way to do it. Once you have a clean computer, you will be able to create the CD that we were trying to do before. Then you will be able to do a nearly fully updated XP computer install in about the same time it took before.

Either way you do that part, it will take a little longer to reinstall all your other software, and then restore your personal information.

That is the first thing you have to do, backup your personal information to a CD, DVD or external harddrive.

Consumer Security

Offline summer990

• Silver Member
« Reply #244 on: May 06, 2012, 09:48:17 pm »
Glad everything is ok.  Said you were under the weather...started to worry. 

How do I backup all my personal information to a CD, and how long will it take?

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #245 on: May 06, 2012, 10:39:52 pm »
I was a bit under the weather, then I was good for a day or so, and then the weather crashed down on us.

As to how long it will take, it depends on how much you have to backup.

First you need to go thru and just copy all the pictures and documents that you have to the CD. Then open your browsers and export your favorites to the CD. Then if you use an e-mail client to send and receive e-mail with, you will have to backup that. If you let me know what e-mail client you use, I can get instructions. If you use web mail, then don't worry about it. Then you need to look at the software you run, and if any of them have databases that contain personal information, that needs to be backed up. This includes software for tracking diabetes's, diet, exercise, or anything else along those lines.

Basically you need to backup anything that you cannot afford to loose. If you have something that you don't know how to save, let me know the program and I will find instructions for you.

Is this what you needed?

Consumer Security

Offline summer990

• Silver Member
« Reply #246 on: May 07, 2012, 10:10:12 pm »
I'm going to plan to get new CDs to back everything up on Wednesday.  So I have plenty and new ones to use.  Any special kind I should get? 

I also have my Windows CDs...The 2 I have are Operating System Reinstall CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.  The other is Drivers and Utilities For Reinstalling V.92/56K Telephony Data/Fax/Voice Modem Software for Microsoft Windows.  Is there any other CDs we will need?   

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #247 on: May 07, 2012, 10:26:21 pm »
As for blank CD's, any will do, just don't get the music CD's unless that is all you can get. You can use them for Data, its just there is a extra charge when you buy the Music CD's that gets sent to the RIAA.

As for the CD's you need to reinstall, those are fine. If you have any other software that you have a CD for, have those as well, or you can download many programs right from the internet.

Consumer Security

Offline summer990

• Silver Member
« Reply #248 on: May 07, 2012, 11:49:19 pm »
I have half of Microsoft Office that an instructor loaded for me.  He said he was licensed to do.  Will I loose that.  Will I need to reload any other things (Discs) such as Dell Dimension Resource CD, Dell Tools CD, Sonic My DVDRoxio Easy CD Creator, Lexmark printer, Sound Blaster, etc.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #249 on: May 08, 2012, 08:34:02 am »
You will have to reload everything. If you don't have the install disc for Microsoft Office, then yes you will loose it. But if you are still in school you can purchase the student version for a large discount in the price.

Consumer Security

Offline summer990

• Silver Member
« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2012, 10:01:55 pm »
I couldn't get the CDs, and I found that once I put the stuff onto the CD I couldn't get it back into the system.  It would say write protected.  However I told them at Office Max what I wanted to do,  and they got me a 32GB urDrive. (I guess it's called a flash drive)  they said I can back up all in one place without having so many discs to keep track of, and I can retrive it back to my system when I'm ready.  That part sounds good, but I'm still apprehensive about doing this.  I have a ledger that I use from Microsoft Excel to keep track of each month...If I loose my Excel I loose the control of the ledger to keep a running total for each month.  I do have a version of Microsoft Works 2002 that I could possibly use and copy the format over to that, but I'm still not sure.  I also have a Garmin which I use everyday...I have an icon on my desktop lifetime updater that updates my maps.  I don't want to loose that.  When I bought the Garmin that was part of the setup...I don't know if that can be reloaded or not.   I have some emails that I can read using MSN offline to read.  I don't have MSN anymore, but that part still works.  I have some things from college that were loaded when I was in the class, they're still there...I know I can't reload them, they're not using that text book anymore.  Is there any possible way at all that we can get rid of the bad parts (corrupt) and keep the good?    Without loosing the Microsoft Office and the other files I have.  I don't think I could even find the instructor that gave me the Office. it's been to long ago.  Not in school now.  To get Office I'd have to outright buy it at full price. 

Offline summer990

• Silver Member
« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2012, 10:33:37 pm »
This just keeps getting better.  I put the flash drive in the USB post...it now says that the devise has malfunctioned or is not recognized...devise unknown.  Try to reconnect the devise if it's still not recognized replace it.  I tried to reconnect, and I got the same message.  I thought this was the cure all.  I was told that all I had to do was plug it in, go to my computer and it would recognize it, and it would be there.  I can't seem to get things backed up.  I don't know if the age of my system has anything to do with it or not.  It is a 2002 model.   

Offline summer990

• Silver Member
« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:03 pm »
I just found out that somehow IE is still somehow connected to the old MSN and if I go to those emails and click offline then I can't get connected to the internet until I try to use the old dial up system which seems to fix the problem.  If I loose the old system from MSN and reload Windows XP I may not be able to get connected thuough IE.  The only reason I use Firefox is because I was told it was safer and faster, and that's the brouser I seem to be having problems with.   

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2012, 11:30:04 pm »
Do you know anyone in the area that really knows computers? The problem with the external drive that you are using is it is probably a USB 2.0 drive and your USB ports are probably version1. Version 2 devices are suppose to be backwards compatible, but it does not always work that way.

Consumer Security

Offline summer990

• Silver Member
« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2012, 12:22:49 am »
It does say on the package USB 2.0.  Can I get a USB version 1 somewhere, or don't they exist anymore?  Other than looking in the phone book for a place that fixes computers, I don't know anyone in the area.