Author Topic: lpksetup log files continuously writting to temp file  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Edsweird

• Bronze Member
Re: lpksetup log files continuously writting to temp file
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 12:15:42 pm »
a side note, there are no hidden updates. the only one available is the IR port

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 04:41:53 pm »
Maybe I should have asked this from the beginning...do you actually use the language pack for anything? If so, it's expected behavior that temp files are written, and as long as you use it this behavior will carry on ad infinitum....that is, for the session. Upon reboot, whatever was written should be removed. If you DON'T actually use it, you can uninstall it with no ill effect.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline Edsweird

• Bronze Member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 04:47:15 pm »
thanks for the reply. i have no idea what i would need a language pack for. is this something native to windows that can be uninstalled? i do not remember ever installing a language pack or anything that would require the use of same.

installation recommendations? should i be looking for something called "Language Pack Installer" for example?

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 04:54:54 pm »
I'm not absolutely certain at the moment...about Vista's language pack that is, but I DO know with certainty in Windows 7, it's offered during a scan at Windows Update. I never did install it since I know I won't use it. I also can't imagine why Vista would be any different. Look in your "Programs and Features" link from the control panel. Locate the link labeled "Installed Updates"...then wait for them all to be populated. Once they appear, just scan your eye down the list. You should see them...there are lots of them in Windows 7 as I recall. Took me maybe a full minute just to check all the boxes in order to direct Windows Update from showing them to me again.

Let me know if you have any problems locating or removing them. Thanks!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Edsweird

• Bronze Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 05:09:10 pm »
wow... lots of updates. none of them have a variant of 'Language Pack' in the title.

wondering if i should run a chkdsk from a vista boot disk (i.e. chkdsk c: /f /r /x) ... i just cant figure it out. i don't know if it's malware that i checked against as previously mentioned... but wow ...

Offline Edsweird

• Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 05:11:57 pm »
interesting. there is still only the double log from when i booted the system. no more after that this morning. seems like it is now a boot up procedure checking to find something...

Offline Edsweird

• Bronze Member
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 05:59:06 pm »
possibly narrowed it down ... i did note that before i originally deleted the files, they started back on 12/20/12. i went to the installed programs and yes, there was in fact an item installed, or re-installed that day ...

I periodically listen to Harmonia - Ancient Music episode from Indiana State University. That day i went to the archives to see what episodes were available that i have not heard as of yet. Upon clicking the streaming feed, RealMedia free player no longer worked. I researched the incident and many reported that RM stopped working on Vista-64 system within those weeks leading up to this date. RM site had no new update, but i downloaded and re-installed RM to see if that would fix the issue. It did not. I searched for solutions and read that older player versions were still working, specifically version 5. I researched that release and found that a Russian news station had posted the older version 5 as a temp fix for people to continue to view their content. I used AVAST to scan it as i downloaded it onto a secondary drive and re-scanned it. I re-installed this version and RealMedia worked since then.

This is the only thing that happened that day that the dates pointed to. The RM interface was english, but wondering if there was a Russian Language pack associated with it. I just now un-installed the entire RM with all libraries and rebooted. Alas, the lpksetup logs still occur on start up.

could this be the issue?

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 07:25:31 pm »
Give me a few minutes...I'm working on something else right now, entirely unrelated, but when I finish up, I will boot to my Windows Vista partition. I'm currently, still using Windows 7 to finish my project. I'll boot to Vista when I finish so I can have a look at the language pack files to see if I can determine how they might be named.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 07:39:20 pm »
Ah, I had a thought while I'm waiting for this to finish...do this:
Click start, and type or copy/paste into the "Search programs and files" box, the following Bold text:
Language Options
...your returned items may include quite a few, so look for something called "Change keyboards or other input methods" and click on it.

When the window opens, it should open to the keyboard and languages tab. Click the button at the bottom labeled Install/Uninstall languages. The list of installed languages should pop up. You will need to uninstall them one at a time. Keep the one of course, for your language of choice which I think I can safely assume is English.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Edsweird

• Bronze Member
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 07:59:36 pm »
i apparently do not have any other language packs installed.

English is the default.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 08:30:04 pm »
Yes, English would be your default even if you had 37 other language packs installed and this, most likely, occurred by your selection when you originally installed Windows...or when the manufacturer installed it, either case.

However, looking at your first screen shot, I can see the drop down arrow on the menu. If you click there, it may very well show you nothing other than English, but if you DID have 37 other languages installed, that's how you would find them. So...did you click that drop down menu to check?
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Edsweird

• Bronze Member
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 08:32:02 pm »
they are listed, yes.

Offline Edsweird

• Bronze Member
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 08:35:42 pm »
partial list ... just opened

Offline Edsweird

• Bronze Member
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 08:36:55 pm »
however, i have noticed that there is no option to uninstall.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 08:09:06 am »
OK, click on one that you would like to uninstall and see if the option to uninstall then becomes available...it should. Prior to selecting anything (that is, prior to clicking on anything), the uninstall option is most probably grayed out. Once you click on it, the option should then turn solid black to let you know the option to uninstall it is now ready to accept the command. Let me know what you see when you do this.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12