Author Topic: Make my Windows XP desktop accept my wireless printer  (Read 2333 times)

Offline bertrgo

• Bronze Member
Make my Windows XP desktop accept my wireless printer
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:24:16 pm »
I recently added a laptop, a router and a wireless printer to my internet connection at home. I would like to be able to access this new printer with my existing desktop. Because the desktop goes through the router, and then to the internet source, I think I should be able to do this. My desktop runs window XP. My router is a Netgear, and my printer is a Brother. Thank you.

Bert

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Re: Make my Windows XP desktop accept my wireless printer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:57:14 pm »
Is the desktop wired to the router, or is it wireless to the router? How about the printer?

You should be able to run the install software for the printer and install it as a network printer instead of a local printer.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline bertrgo

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:34:02 pm »
Hi Hoov,

The desktop is wired to the router, and accordingly the router is wired to my internet source. However, the desktop is Windows XP, and I didn't know if I needed to download something to first bring the desktop up to date. In other words, XP is an older system, and I don't know if this is a concern for which I might have to somehow compensate.

The laptop connects to the router wirelessly, and works well.

I would attempt to use the Brother software to connect to the router and install the printer as a network printer as you say, but I would rather await your instruction given the details I just mentioned, so that I don't screw anything up.

Thank you,

Bert

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 05:44:47 pm »
Installing the printer as a network printer is probably the only way you will be able to do it. If you already have the printer and printer software installed, you probably will have better luck uninstalling it and then starting over.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!