Author Topic: The Facebook Anti-Virus Marketplace  (Read 558 times)

Offline Bugbatter

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
The Facebook Anti-Virus Marketplace
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:03:17 pm »
Facebook has announced that it's partnering with five top security companies and it will be offering downloads of their anti-virus solutions on a newly created AV Marketplace accessible from its Security page.
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/04/25/facebook-teams-up-sophos-other-vendors/

The key word here is Marketplace.

Who are these people who are so thrilled with all of this? (Check out all the comments over at FB's announcement.) Are they the carefree Facebookers who have been using no security or locked down privacy all this time? Now they think a 6-month AV trial is wonderful. Am I missing something?

...users get a free AV solution for at least 6 months (Facebook didn't specify what happens after), the social network's Security Team's job gets easier, and the security companies get a new way of securing new customers..."
I doubt that FB's Security Team's job will get easier.
http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=2084

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Re: The Facebook Anti-Virus Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »
I don't know if I should laugh or cry. They give links to 4 programs. Norton and McAfee (both solutions are resource hogs) Microsoft Security Essentials (already free) and Sophos for the Mac. No others.

I looked thru their security pages and the only thing that had real content was a PDF page you hade to download. To be honest when I first went to the page, I saw that flowchart looking graphic and I wanted to see the page it was based on. It does not seem to be a real page.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline Bugbatter

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
Re: The Facebook Anti-Virus Marketplace
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:41:35 pm »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:21:55 am by Bugbatter »

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security