Author Topic: Sound and speed problems. Please help.  (Read 7724 times)

Offline drpapier

• Bronze Member
Sound and speed problems. Please help.
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:13:10 pm »
I'm a college student visiting home and my dad's computer won't play any sound and he complains that it used to be faster and her wants to speed it up again. You all helped me a lot with some malware problems on my laptop so I figured I'd go to you again.

The speakers themselves work fine when plugged into a stereo, but I think there's a problem with the driver or hardware. When I try to find a sound card or something in the device manager there's something called an "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" under "Other Devices". If I try to update the driver nothing is found.

As far as increasing speed I'm open for all suggestions. He heard from a coworker that it's because I downloaded Windows updates last time I was here. Does that really cause it to slow down?

Thanks a lot!

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Sound and speed problems. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:41:59 pm »
Hi drpapier,

Is this a desktop or a laptop?
The lack of sound (except through the stereo) makes me suspect the speakers.  I know it's simple but make sure they're turned on!  Also try plugging in a different set of speakers or else use a decent pair of headphones in the speaker socket to see if that makes any difference.

You could also go to Start, Run, type dxdiag and click OK.  Run all the sound tests and let us know if there are any errors.

As for the performance, it is possible that the updates cause a slight loss of speed but it shouldn't really be noticeable.  Download CCleaner .  Run the downloaded file to install CCleaner.  Uncheck the option to install the Yahoo! toolbar when asked during the installation - you don't need it. Run CCleaner and click Search for Updates (the link is at the bottom right of the window).  Update the program if there is a newer version available.  Then go to Options and click the Settings tab.  Uncheck the box against 'Only Delete Files in Windows Temp Folders Older than 48 Hours', then click OK.  Click Run Cleaner. Please note that running CCleaner will force you to enter passwords for any sites which require them - make sure you know them.   That should clear out the temporary files that accumulate over time and give us a clean base to work from.

Then go to Start, Run, type msconfig and click OK.  Click the Startup tab and uncheck any startup programs you don't need.  Please be careful not to disable your firewall, antivirus or any program necessary to run your computer - if in doubt, post the program name here and we can advise you.  Click OK and reboot your system. 

If it is still running slowly, go to Start, Run, type taskmgr and click OK.  Click the Processes tab, click on the 'word' CPU at the top of the CPU column then click it again.  This will sort the processes using the most computing power to the top of the list.  Post back here with the names of the top 3 or 4 in that list along with the corresponding figure in the CPU column.  Hopefully that will provide a clue as to what is causing the slowdown.
Never stop learning - visit the SpywareHammer Knowledgebase

Offline a_cup

• Technical Staff
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:37:40 pm »
Hi drpapier,

* Make sure sound is not muted
Right click on sound icon on taskbar>>click adjust audio properties>>check that mute is not checked....Below that...Check speaker volume under the 'speaker settings'

* Check that audio service is set to start

Go to Start>> Run>> type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio>> Right-click>>Properties.

Make sure that 'Startup' is set to automatic. Click Apply and okay...Now check the startup status under services..Make sure it says started. If not look to the left and click start service...

Post back let us know....!

Offline drpapier

• Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:47:41 am »
Hello again

Starting with the sound issues:

The computer is a desktop.

The speakers work fine plugged into my laptop and I tried using my headphones in the front jack.

When I ran dxdiag and went to the sound tab it had everything grayed out except the notes window at the bottom which read: "No sound card was found.  If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer."

The sound is not muted (although 9/10 times for me that would be right). In fact when I try to open audio properties I have to get to it through entertainment and when I click on it I get a message:  "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware." Following the directions finds nothing to add.

When I went through services.msc Windows Audio was already started and I restarted for fun, but it had no effect.

... and the "slowdown"...

I haven't run CCleaner yet as I wasn't here most of yesterday and last night, but I will later on.

I went through msconfig to the startup list, but I don't really recognize what would be essential and what can be turned off. Keep in mind that my dad predominately uses this for internet and all other things sparingly. This is the full list:

NeroCheck
NvCpl
nwiz
NvMcTray
jusched
Reader_sl
Reboot

Looking at Task Manager the average top four processes are System Idle Process, firefox.exe, taskmgr.exe, and alg.exe... which leads me to believe he's delusional.

No worries though, I'm still learning what to do here so I can apply it to my and other computers.

Thank you!

-Dan

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 03:15:42 am »
OK, the easy one first.

Go back into msconfig and uncheck the following entries:

nwiz (used for advanced graphics settings such as multiple monitors, virtual desktops and so on)
NvMcTray (Provides quick access to video properties - you can do this through Control Panel if you need it)
Reader_sl (Speeds up the loading of PDF files)
Reboot (legacy utility from older versions of Wiindows).

Click OK and choose to reboot the computer.
These can all be turned on again by checking the appropriate box in msconfig if needed, so no harm done.  However, they all consume resources and so are better turned off.

As for the sound problem, download Belarc Advisor , run the downloaded file (named Advisor.exe) and wait a couple of minutes while it gathers the data from your computer.  A web page will appear (this is local to your machine, not on the internet).  Look for the 'Multimedia' section of the report and let us know the sound device if one is found (for instance, mine is shown as 'Realtek AC'97 Audio'). 

Please note that a lot of the keys and serial numbers for your software and operating system will be included in this report.  It would be useful to print a copy for future reference but please make sure you don't publish them in a forum. :)

If nothing is showing in the Multimedia section then go to Start, Control Panel, Add Hardware, click Next, check the button to say you have connected the hardware, click Next.  On the next screen click 'Add a new hardware device' (at the bottom of the list) and click Next.  Choose to 'Search for and install the hardware automatically', click Next and see if the soundcard is picked up automatically - it should be as it has already been installed previously.

Let us know how it goes.

Offline drpapier

• Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 03:59:18 pm »
I did the Startup thing. When it booted back up it acknowledged I changed something and basically told me I could undo it.

I downloaded Belarc and ran it also. When I looked at Multimedia it just read "None detected". I also went through the Add Hardware steps and it didn't find anything automatically.

Sorry for being complicated. What else can you suggest for me to try?

Thanks.

-Dan

Offline a_cup

• Technical Staff
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:55 pm »
Hi drpapier,

If this is an onboard sound card go to the manufacturer site for your motherboard and try downloading the drivers...

Post back let us know...!

Offline drpapier

• Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 01:50:10 am »
Sorry. How do I know who manufactured our motherboard?

Offline faith_michele

• Anti - Phishing Staff
  • Gold Member
    • A Beacon of Light
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 06:37:36 am »
You go to the computer manufacturer site and search under support with your model number.  They should have a list of the drivers there.  Once you download the audio driver, you will have to runn it to extract the files.  Go to the extracted files folder (normally on the root of C:/) and run the setup.exe (or closely named file).  You might have to reboot after the install.
Microsoft Consumer Security MVP, July 2007-June 2010

"Fight your fights, find the grace in all the things that you can't change and help somebody, if you can." Van Zant

A Beacon of Light

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 11:10:57 am »
It should also tell you in the Belarc report.

Mine says
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 8I865GME-775-RH R2.0
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. FE 08/27/2007

Googling the search term
motherboard drivers 8I865GME-775-RH R2.0
produced the appropriate driver download as the first result.

Offline drpapier

• Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 01:58:06 pm »
When I downloaded the driver there were two options that had the same name as my board, but on was v1.0 and the other v1.1. I just picked 1.1, but I don't know if that was right.

I unzipped the folder to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\W2K_XP" and when I tried to run Setup.exe a message comes up saying "Driver not found! Please reboot your system, and run this setup again." So I rebooted and ran it again and got the same message. If I'm downloading the driver why does it need my driver?

-Dan

Offline a_cup

• Technical Staff
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 07:53:19 pm »
Uninstall the old driver...

1) Reboot...When it tries to auto install new devices it detects, click cancel. Go to control panel>>Add Hardware.

2) Run the new hardware wizard and select 'install from a list or specific location' when prompted.

3) At next screen select 'Don't search. I will choose the driver to install'

4) At next screen choose 'Sound Video or Game Controllers'

5) Click the 'Have Disk' button. At next prompt click 'Browse.'

6) Direct it to the folder where the sound drivers are installed. Click 'Open' button and select file

7) Click OK>>then 'next' to install

Post back let us know....!

Offline drpapier

• Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 05:47:27 pm »
I'm getting a little lost here. I have no idea how to uninstall a driver, and can I if it doesn't even recognize I have a driver?

I went through the first 5 steps listed without any trouble, but I don't know what to select for the sixth. The only files that even appear to choose are MidiSyn and smwdmSIS. smwdmSIS doesn't do anything and MidSyn appears as "Analog Devices Wavetable Synthesizer(WDM)." After I install that it says that it's completed but it's followed by "The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly. Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39)."

Sorry I've been off for a few days. I try to be quick getting back to you, but I'm not always at my dad's house.

Thank you!

-Dan

Offline a_cup

• Technical Staff
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 08:07:44 pm »
Hi drpapier,

Let's start anew...

First I want to make sure you have the correct drivers ... As you were given two options without any additional details at the site you downloaded from I think we should double check that what you downloaded is indeed what you need... ..I apologize for the confusion..

1)  Go to this link to find the manufacturer of your computer. Select and click on the manufacturers site for your computer then search within that site for the correct driver. If you need help with this let me know the make/model
Computer Manufacturers

2)  I am guessing this is a SoundMAX driver...If so...Go to add/remove programs and look for SoundMAX...Select and click to remove>>select "remove all' at prompt...After removal you will need to reboot.

3) After reboot you may recieve notice of 'found new hardware'....Do not let windows find the driver for you...cancel out and then double-click on setup.exe in the SoundMAX install package...

Post back let us know...!

Offline drpapier

• Bronze Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 09:27:47 pm »
I don't know who made the computer and I don't see anything on the machine to indicate it. No logos or names. No sticker with make/model. I looked in My Computer >> Properties >> General, but I didn't see anything to indicate make or model. Under computer it says

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3500+
2.21 GHz, 960 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Also I didn't find anything named SoundMAX in the Add or Remove Programs list. The list is actually pretty short and the only things I don't recognize are:

Foxy Tunes for Firefox
Nero OEM
NVIDIA Drivers

I guess that last one sounds likely, but I don't want to remove anything without knowing... or having the right driver to replace it.

Thanks!

-Dan