Author Topic: Opinion  (Read 373 times)

Offline Taz71498

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Gold Member
Opinion
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:37:14 PM »
Hi all!  Long time no talk!

I'm looking for opinion.  Seems my wireless router at home is not working.  Need to buy a new one.  I'm not at home so I can not tell you what I currently have outside of it is a Linksys and has 4 ports.

Now I am not using any of the ports because everything in my house is wireless.  What my need is......a wireless router.  Does it need to have 4 ports....no.  I think I want to stay with Linksys but am open.  Two of my computers have Linksys usb wireless adapters.  I plan on ordering from either Best Buy or Amazon.

Opinions?

Offline Taz71498

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Gold Member
Re: Opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:47:56 PM »
wrt 400n is what I currently have.

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:56:06 PM »
I have a Netgear WNDR3700v3 and I am happier with it than I was with the Linksys that I had. My next one will also be a Netgear unless they have a serious problem crop up between now and then. They do have a tool to help you pick out just the right router. My next one will probably be one of the Nighthawks.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline Bear

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:30:00 AM »
I have a Netgear WNDR 3400v2 and have never had an issue with it.  I only use wireless for my IPAD and IPHONE however.  I use ethernet for all my PCs and media center equipment.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Hoov

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
I forgot to mention what I have connected thru mine. I have various combinations of a minimum of 4 laptops connected wirelessly, all the time as well as my Dish Hopper and my BlueRay/Home theater (but I do not stream much thru them). Also there is a LaserJet printer as well as a Raspberry Pi wired to it. I also have had around 2 dozen other computers connected to it (at the most 3 at a time) since I installed my router, Some wired, mostly wireless. I have had problems one time, but that was when the computer was set to use a specific IP address it caused some conflict. Once I turned off that option, all was well.

Consumer Security

Offline PCBruiser

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »
Taz, hi, long time, and it is really good to hear from you.  Actually. I was thinking of you recently, and wondering how you were doing. I hope you are well.

Routers, I have been very happy with Netgear over the last 10 years or so.  Prior to then, I was a strong SonicWall advocate, but they have gone another way, and are not consumer friendly these days.  I have tried Linksys from time-to-time, but have not been as happy with their products as I have with Netgear, like the others.
Don't Read?  Can't learn!

Offline Taz71498

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:21 PM »
Hey PCBruiser!  I'm doing pretty good.  Doing traveling for work and currently in Fairbanks, Alaska.   Having a good time here. 

Ok, you all seem to like Netgear.  Have never used so the one question I have is....my two desktop computers have Linksys USB wireless adapters...Any conflict with getting them setup with Netgear router?  I want to try to make this easy as possible since my son, who is not computer savy, is going to be setting it up for me.

Offline Bear

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:27:15 PM »
I wouldn't think so if they're one of the standard wireless protocols. Like 802.11 b or g.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Hoov

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 11:44:12 PM »
You can mix and match all you like. Bear did hit on one thing though. The router has to have the protocol those wireless adapters have. IF the adapters are B then the router needs to handle B. It really should not be a problem, as the router will be newer than the adapters.

Consumer Security

Offline Taz71498

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 06:31:57 PM »
Thanks all!  Hitting the Web now to buy.