Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook won't open and repair tool is not on my system  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Lura

• Bronze Member
Microsoft Outlook won't open and repair tool is not on my system
« on: September 12, 2012, 04:11:52 pm »
Hi everyone again.

My Microsoft Outlook Inbox won't open and Windows 7 is telling me that I need to use something called Scanpst.exe to repair it.  But this file is not on my system.  I have looked in all the appropriate files as instructed by Microsoft and I have shown hidden files.  It is not there.  I cannot reload Microsoft Outlook 7 as I purchased this netbook computer from someone on Ebay and I do not have a backup disk for the program.  I found a place to download the file Scanpst.exe online.  Can't seem to download it from Microsoft.  The download site is:  www.emailaddressmanager.com/outlook/repair.html but, even if I can get the file, restoring the Outlook program looks kind of tricky.  Any suggestions?

Lura

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Re: Microsoft Outlook won't open and repair tool is not on my system
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:21:40 pm »
Have you tried doing a system restore to when it worked properly?

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline Lura

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:12:16 pm »
Hi Hoov.

The newest restore point I had was, it looked to me, AFTER the problem had developed, but I tried it anyway.  It did not solve the problem.  The next newest restore point was back in July, and I didn't want to use that one.

Regards,
Lura

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:43:12 pm »
I would not download that file to use in the repair. Do you have another computer that you can move the files to, and run the repair there?

Consumer Security

Offline Lura

• Bronze Member
Problem fixed but need training in back ups
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »
I actually got all worked up and went to that website, which showed as excellent on Web of Trust.  I downloaded the file and placed it in the folder where I was instructed to place it by Microsoft instructions.  I tried to run it, but it would not run because it was looking for another file and so I read the Microsoft instructions a little more carefully and discovered that I had placed it in the wrong folder for Outlook 7.  I then went to the correct folder and found the tool, ran it, and my Microsoft Outlook is fine.  In fact, it's running faster.

But now I am left to wonder why I have no restore points on my computer.  It is supposed to be creating a restore point every week and it is not.  Also, I backed up my system at the end of August unto a Go Flex device and....that backup was not there.  There was a backup from July, but I didn't want to use it.  Does anyone have some pointers on backups and restore points?

Regards,
Lura

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »
Take a look in your event viewer logs and see if you are having VSS problems.

Consumer Security