Author Topic: WindowsUpdate_80246008  (Read 9601 times)

Offline mrrockford

• Supervisory Sanitation Engineer
  • SpywareHammer Staff
  • Bronze Member
WindowsUpdate_80246008
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:00:38 pm »
Howdy,

Learning more about Vista and got an OEM for xmas.  Installed as dual boot and trying to get SP1 on this thing is not working.  Downloaded SP1 tried to install - no go.  Tried install from WU - no go.  Did the BITS and Event Viewer checks - everything is ok.  Thinking maybe I may just have to reinstall or make a slipstream.  Any other ideas?

We have enough youth... how about a fountain of smart?

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."

L. Long

Speaking Geek

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: WindowsUpdate_80246008
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »
Hi Mike,

What errors do you get, if any?  Have you tried in Safe Mode?

Not sure if this would apply to Vista, but in XP there is a way of running programs through a kind of 'super user' account that may help - can't remember the exact name so I can't Google it. 

If CC were accessible I could find out there ...

Edited 070109
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:46:35 am by Mister2 »
Never stop learning - visit the SpywareHammer Knowledgebase

Offline mrrockford

• SpywareHammer Staff
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 01:26:06 pm »
Howdy,

If CC were accessible I could find out there ...

I actually tried going there to research my problem.  ::)

L. Long

Speaking Geek

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:36:59 pm »
Yeah, it still catches me out.  If the forums were up as read-only it would be something.

Anyhow, I'm told the fix I had in mind won't work in Vista, so I'm stuck.
Just been reading here - http://apcmag.com/vista_sp1_wont_install_on_dualboot_systems_microsoft.htm - but not sure if you are dual booting with Linux.  I'll have another look in the morning.

Edited 070109
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:47:07 am by Mister2 »

Offline mrrockford

• SpywareHammer Staff
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:53:50 pm »
No I'm running XP pro on the other partition.

L. Long

Speaking Geek

Offline a_cup

• Technical Staff
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:32 pm »
Most likely you need to 'run as administrator' for the installation to work...In Vista even administrators need permissions....Check the following link on how to 'run as administrator'
How to 'Run as administrator'

Microsoft is offering free support (limited) for installation problems with SP1 to the US and Canada...
Free Microsoft Support for SP1

To activate the hidden super user account....
How to Activate the Vista Administrator

Every day I kept telling myself I was going back to CC and get some of my solutions as well as others...Now it's too late..Just spell my name Procrastinator..!! Fortunately I did keep a few on notepad over the years as well as some useful links...

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 01:47:37 am »
Thanks, a_cup - those links look useful.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 01:11:01 pm »
Are you getting errors Mike? If so, what are they?

I actually worked with Microsoft on one of the issues relating to Vista SP1 early on, regarding problems installing it on a dual boot set up.

You must first make certain that you have installed all other windows updates before attempting to install the service pack. The reason for this is that the update site will also present to you any device driver updates during the scan.

Upon first release of the service pack, microsoft listed 12 specific drivers that could cause problems for users during an upgrade to the service pack. Most of those however have already been addressed but if you have not installed all the updates that are made available to you then you could be the source of your own issue.

Two other issues that arose, while I was working with microsoft regarding this very problem that you are experiencing, is that I discovered at least three (at that time) antivirus applications that prevent a successful install unrelated to the hardware driver issues previously mentioned. These were Norton, Mcafee and Antivir.

For those, the recommendation was to have uninstalled the applications prior to installing the service pack due to the nature of microsoft's poorly written code for the upgrade's unattended reboot pattern.

Disabling these is not recommended either since they will reclaim their active guard upon the first reboot which will stall the installation and create a reboot loop from which there is no escape. Some users, depending on what other applications they have installed, might find safe mode will stop the reboot loop but this is not always the case. For those unfortunate few, the only alternative at that point is a fresh reinstall of the operating system.

The other issue relates to the order in which you should install the windows updates that ARE presented during a scan. The particular order should already have been selected for you. You should notice after a windows update scan that certain of the boxes next to the available updates are already checked. There are three of these that you should uncheck (more on that in a bit)...and you should NOT check any of the boxes that are not already checked.

After the scan, click to review the available updates. Look for the service pack 1, the malicious software removal tool and the .net framework and uncheck them. Install ALL of the updates with boxes checked by default except for those three...save them for last.

Reboot if prompted. Return to the update site and scan again. After the scan click to review the available updates and once again, look for the three items, sp1, msrt and .net framework and uncheck them.

Again install all the others that were checked by default except for those three. Reboot if prompted and return to the update site...continue in this manner until you have installed all of the updates except for those three mentioned.

Of those remaining three updates, you should install them in this order:
1) .net framework
2) malicious software removal tool
3) Sp1

...and, on a side note, as you can see from the info above, it would be pointless to try and create a slipstream disk unless of course, you merely wanted to create a folder to hold the SP1 installer file.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline Maurice Naggar

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 07:35:10 pm »
Hi Mike,

Vista 32-bit or 64 bit?

How did you setup the 2 Windows partitions in the dual-boot?  eg, XP first, then Vista ?

Before you started to apply Vista Service Pack 1, did you
a) disable your AV
b) disable all anti-malware apps ?

I'd disable all of my startup applications (if I had any). I'd want a plain vanilla startup.
This presumes I downloaded and saved the 434MB service pack 1 file from MS Download Center.
Only then start the service pack update.

dohh, I should know what the service pack log file is, so I could tell you where to dig deeper in that log :(  CRS ;(

My colleagues at AumHa have several topics on Vista & SP1

Dual-booting Vista and WinXP using BootIt NG
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=24408

See also the Vista SP1 sub-forum
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=74
~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (October 2002 - September 2010)

Offline Maurice Naggar

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 07:58:05 pm »
Windows Update error 80246008
If you receive Windows Update error 80246008 while downloading updates, you might need to change the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) or Windows Event Log service settings, and then restart each service.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5f3f02f4-69bc-47a5-9e40-8c9b86ffb2fd1033.mspx

{humh} could not edit my own post to modify and add this  !?!
~Maurice Naggar

Offline mrrockford

• SpywareHammer Staff
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 08:24:34 pm »
Howdy,

Okay, here we go.

XP Pro on C:  used Acronis to do back up and then Disk Director to repartition, giving Z: 45 gig, formatted and installed Vista no problems.

I did the BITS stuff and found out that it goes deeper all the way back to the RPC service.  Tried to start BITS no go because "The dependency service or group failed to start" which is the Com+ Event System, got same kind of message which leads me to RPC that is "not installed". 

I decided to format and reinstall (nothing to save - just put it on here).  Did that.  Did 75 updates, restart and looked for more updates.  It wants to do WU SP1 so I thought I'd grab it burn it to disk and go from there.  Shut down Vista boot to XP and boom chdsk starts up runs its thing and deletes something on my Z: drive (Vista). 

Did this twice today.  Same thing both times.  I must have some bad sectors on that part of the drive.

I'm picking up Vista Business(up-to-date) tomorrow at school through my MSDN acct. and will attempt to install that and update it.

I'll keep you all informed.

L. Long

Speaking Geek

Offline Maurice Naggar

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 09:00:04 pm »
Please check your System Restore on XP (and also Vista) to have it "only" monitor it's own partition.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disabledrivev.html  (Vista)
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html  (XP)

The not having the RPC service is a show stopper altogether.

Let me also suggest you need to read this as a precaution (given that you have not hidden one OS from the other)
System Restore points and other recovery features in Windows Vista are affected when you dual-boot with Windows XP
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

All these links are to Bert Kinney's website.
~Maurice Naggar

Offline Jacee

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Visiting Staff
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 02:16:50 pm »
Is Acronis running in the background? If it is, disable all instances, then try to download SP1 again.

Also, disable any 3rd party firewall and turn on Vista's. Anti-spyware and anti-virus programs (even Windows Defender should be either disabled, or turned off)

Consumer Security 2006~2014

Offline K27

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Gold Member
    • Go Good IT Solutions
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 02:37:55 pm »
Fantastic thread, really informative and helpful.
SpywareHammer - Knowledgebase

The internet is the new age battle of the old age clash between good and evil