And I don’t know how to test or replace it: MSONSEXT.DLL
Here are the strange symptoms:
- Whenever I run my freshly-updated McAfee virus scan, it locks up both the scan and my computer when it reaches that file.
- My Webroot SpySweeper program would often conflict with McAfee and also stall mid-scan, so I uninstalled SpySweeper--but the McAfee scan still crashed on MSONSEXT.DLL.
- When I try to upload the file to test it at VirusTotal.com, the file won’t upload: it locks the upload.
- When I try to make a copy of the file to place on my desktop for testing, it displays a “redundancy” error and won’t let me copy the file.
- The file resides in 2 places
1. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders (where it hangs up)
- Dell Inspiron 530 with XP Home, SP3 (1 year old)
I want to solve this (apparently) corrupt-file problem before attempting to replace the existing anti-malware program with an integrated suite. I thought about using a registry cleaner, but heard horror stories about how they sometimes make things worse.
Any help is sure appreciated.