Author Topic: cannot open powerpoint slides  (Read 7320 times)

Offline Ragdoll

• Bronze Member
cannot open powerpoint slides
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:08:10 pm »
Ok, mind you first off I am a complete idiot when it comes to Microsoft Office right off the get go.   :-\

I have a trial version of Microsoft Office Professional that I am using at the moment to get me through my Cisco class. Instructor is sending out pp slides so we can go back over what we went over in class. The extension is  .ppt  I would think that I would be able to open them with office powerpoint but when I attempt it I get a popup error message that states that it cannot read the outline and no text convertor is installed for this file type.  Totally lost.  ::)   What text convertor would I need please?

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: cannot open powerpoint slides
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 03:46:39 am »
Hi Ragdoll, and Welcome to us! ;D

This is most likely to occur when the PowerPoint file has been created in a later version of MS Office than the one used to read it.

First go to the MS Office update site and click on Office Updates (4th link down in the left hand pane).  If you still have the same problem after updating there may be 2 more updates you need, but I need to know which version of Office you are running (2000, XP, 2003 and so on).  If you go to Start, All Programs and hover your mouse over MS Office it will say something like 'MS Office PowerPoint 2003'.

In the meantime you could download the PowerPoint 2007 Viewer to view the files, though not edit them.  Powerpoint produces files with one of two extensions - .ppt for editable files and .pps for 'read only' files.  I'm guessing you won't need to amend your instructor's slides! ;)

(I had a similar problem recently although, perversely, the .ppt file had been created in Office 97 and I was using Office 2007 to read it).
Never stop learning - visit the SpywareHammer Knowledgebase

Offline Ragdoll

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 06:21:08 am »
Good Mornin Mister2 and thanks for the welcome. :) Glad to be here.  ;D

I am using Microsoft Office 2007 Professional in a Windows XP Media OS. It is a full trial version from what I can tell (again I'm not that bright with this.. :P lol) but perhaps I did not get it fully updated when I installed. I do live in the stone age still having dial up so I may have given up too soon before all my updates were in. (Wating on that little bird inside my computer to get the morse code transmission then hammer it out with his beak in stone and all ya know.  ::) )  Checking updates again. :)

Thanks for the info , will let you know if it works. I have scanned back over your post and don't think I missed anything, totally in need of some coffee so it is very possible. lol So if I did not supply the info that you requested from me, please let me know. I will check back.

Appreciate your help.  Have a fantastic day!

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 01:06:58 pm »
That link should fully update Powerpoint - the other 2 updates related to earlier versions of Office.

I agree - coffee solves most problems unless you're just going in to a 3 hour meeting.
(Yes, I know from experience ...)

No rush.  Let me know how it goes.

Offline Ragdoll

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 04:39:35 pm »
Whelp I see from there that I am in need of four updates for sure...and all together they total about 209MB if I am remembering right. That means that I will be old and gray before all of that comes in . lol  Guess I will have to unplug my tower and run it up to the shop this weekend and stick it on cable to get the rest of my updates.  :-\ Ah well it needs some good going through and some other updates anyway so wont hurt a bit. :) Will just have to hit the book for my homework and check out the slides later.

Will hit ya back at the end of the week and let you know it it works. :)

Have a goodun!

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 01:00:45 am »
No prob :)

Offline Ragdoll

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:43:51 am »
Alrighty then,

Got my machine in yesterday to the shop, did all my microsoft updates. Got it hooked up this morning and tried once more to open the slides the instructor sent to me.
Discovery_Home_SB_Chapter3.ppt   

When I try to open it  I still get the message: Powerpoint can't read the outline from C:\.....Discovery_Home_SB_Chapter3.ppt
No text converter is installed for this file type.   ???

See whatcha think bout that one Mister2, and I think you for your time sir. :)

Offline Cudni

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Technical Staff
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:22:14 am »
see for suggestions on that error
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

every new day is either a reward or punishment for what we did yesterday

Offline Ragdoll

• Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 06:52:18 pm »
Thanks for the link Cudni. :)

I have to tell you though that I have been having a MAJOR DUH moment. 

Uhm having dial up I am thinking that it may take me forever to download the slides from here at home so I opened the email at work (cable) saved the attachment to my flash drive and brought it home. Apparently something must have corrupted the file when I saved it over because I finally pulled my head out of my backside and got the bright idea to open the email here at home and try clicking on the slides and they opened right up pretty as you please in powerpoint like they should.

I am sorry to take up your time folks, my boss always tells me to remember KISS..lol he usually says Keep it Simple and leaves off the Stupid...I guess he is afraid of hurting my feelings.  ;D :D

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:27:32 pm »
Well, certainly not an obvious solution but I'm glad you got it sorted out!  :)

Offline Ragdoll

• Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 06:25:41 am »
Ah heck, with me, nothing is ever obvious. I usually tend to make things much harder than they really are. Takes me a bit to sort it all out but eventually I will get there, just sometimes need a little prodding in the right direction.  ::) :D

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 01:45:31 pm »
It happens to us all.

I just posted (in another place) the key combination to refresh a browser window - Alt + F5.  I actually hit the 'F5' key when I typed that and lost the whole post.  I can do without making life more difficult for myself!