Author Topic: Updating My Protection  (Read 5286 times)

Offline bushka

• Bronze Member
Re: Updating My Protection
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 03:26:09 pm »
OK so it seems the Malwarebytes thing is OK but now I have a real problem.  :-[  My wife uses Microsoft Works (go figure) 7.0, but I can no longer open the program.  I get an error that says something like, "Windows is unable to open Works because it cannot access one or more files it needs to open.  The files may have been deleted, renamed etc.  Reinstall Works to try to fix the problem."  I did the reinstall, but get the same error.  Any ideas???

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 10:12:17 pm »
It may not be a Works file that is missing.  Go to Start, Run, type sfc /scannow (note the space between 'sfc' and '/scannow') and click OK.  Windows will then check your system files and replace any that are corrupt or missing.  You may be asked for your XP installation CD during this process.

When finished, reboot and try Works again.
Never stop learning - visit the SpywareHammer Knowledgebase

Offline bushka

• Bronze Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 05:56:04 am »
That's interesting.  I didn't know you could do that.  I tried it and got a black DOS window for about 1/2 second and nothing.  Would it help to restart in safe mode and shut down all virus checkers ,etc???

Thanks.

Offline Maurice Naggar

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 11:23:30 am »
Hello bushka,

Let me suggest you use the MalwareBytes forum to get assistance on your MBAM issue.
There's several folks there to help.   --> http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums
The directions that Mona gave are spot on.  But perhaps you have a unique issue. 
Join the forum (it's free) and then make a post at http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=41

It is quite possible your Avira is somehow blocking MBAM from doing it's thing. If I can find a good reference, I'll post it here for you.
As an aside, I have the free Avira and the full version of MBAM and have no issues.
~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (October 2002 - September 2010)

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 12:53:04 pm »
I tried it and got a black DOS window for about 1/2 second and nothing.  Would it help to restart in safe mode and shut down all virus checkers ,etc???
Check that you are logged in under an Administrator account - most limited user accounts will not run sfc.

Yes, try booting up in Safe Mode - log on to the Administrator account (or even try Safe Mode with Command Prompt) to see if it will work.  My system runs sfc in normal mode but not in Safe Mode, so obviously different systems respond in different ways.  There should be no need to shut any programs down while you perform the scan.
Never stop learning - visit the SpywareHammer Knowledgebase