Author Topic: My computer has issues after fixing a website  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Blast

• Bronze Member
My computer has issues after fixing a website
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:53:50 pm »
I was fixing a wordpress site that was hacked and in the process I downloaded a couple of files that set off my antvirus but I am now struggling to get to certain sites. My COMODO firewall wants to close and I can no longer update my AVG antivirus as the download keeps getting disconnected (although other downloads work fine)

I have done a system restore to before the infection
I have uninstalled Mozilla and reinstalled
I have run Ad Aware and Spybot
all to a nil result

For your info I am unable to visit http://smh.com.au which is thew local newspaper and Facebook will not load any images.

What is also concerning me is that I have two other computers here on this home network and they are having the same issues.

CHeers Bill

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: My computer has issues after fixing a website
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:58:34 pm »
Hi Bill, and Welcome to SH ;D
(Do I know you from somewhere else?!)

An inability to reach some sites (notably security sites such as Symantec or McAfee) and a block on updating security software usually indicates there is an infecion of some sort still on your system.

I recommend you submit a HiJackThis log so our experts can advise you.  Follow the instructions in this post - http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=88.0 - and start a new topic here - http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0 - briefly outlining the problem and the steps you have taken to remove the infections (a link to your post here will be fine).  Paste your HJT log into your post.  Someone will be along shortly to advise you and check for any signs of further problems.

Please be patient as the guys over there are kept busy, but be assured you will receive a reply as soon as someone becomes available.

Good luck!
Never stop learning - visit the SpywareHammer Knowledgebase

Offline Blast

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:13:38 pm »
Thank you Mister2,

I don't think we have met before. Any aforementioned meeting would have to be hotly denied as I know that anything I say would be used against me in some form or fashion.

Although I am new to these sort of forums, I quickly have done a search of your username and found that you are involved in some rather dubious affiliations that I could not and would not like to be associated with.

Thank you for your reply though, I will start a new post as you have thoughtfully suggested

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:05:15 am »
Ha Ha!!
Thought the name was familiar, you old rascal! ;)

Offline Blast

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:13:20 am »
 ;D Some things never change

Whats this?   http://mister2compute.blogspot.com/

Why aren't you optimising your own website and blog by having this running there too??
You can set up another profile and blog name and grouch there ... just a thought and you know I would only have your best interests at heart

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:51:55 pm »
Ah, that  :-[
Didn't think anyone noticed that one.  Good job you haven't found my 'vanity site' yet ;)
I've PMed you about combining the two - I need to be taught a lesson in that respect :o

I see you posted your log so I figure you'll be sorted soon.  What else would you expect from the best of the best?!
I tried calculating the timedifference between you and the US but gave up.  I'll check back in the morning.

Offline Blast

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 02:44:16 pm »
Oh, do you mean the your vanity website "Mister2 and his four legged friends"?
I don't think that it is much about vanity... a little depraved maybe...

As for the timezones

Its 6.38AM Wednesday here
Its 9.36PM Tuesday at your place
Its 4.35PM Tuesday in New York
and its 1.35PM Tuesday in LA
(so all the other US times should be in between that, I am guessing)

But it does give you an idea as to why Aussies are so far ahead in the ballgame. You are 14 hours behind the times (our times)

But thanks for your concern... I am sure the powers that be have seen my name and thought that they would leave that log for the other sucker silly enough to help

Offline PCBruiser

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 03:28:02 pm »
I'll be that sucker.
Don't Read?  Can't learn!

Offline Blast

• Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 04:07:12 pm »
Ah, PCB, so sorry to hear that you have drawn the short straw.

then again, if you are working in any environment and in close proximity to Mister2 (the world would be considered close proximity) you deserve everything you get... I know that I have come to this conclusion having known Mister2 and being as far away from him as possible, at the other end of the earth.

Somehow everything I say manages to get construed around to affairs with sheep and goats. This is despite me being a fine upstanding gentleman while Mister2, as the perverted individual he is, remains almost god like in his stature and social standing

As they say, all is not fair in love and war!!!

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:03:03 pm »
I didn't choose to live at the end of the earth where sheep outnumber people :P

Thank you, PCB, you have my sympathies :)

Offline Blast

• Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 10:14:50 pm »
Hey thats why we don't have to shear OUR sheep

Offline Taz71498

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 08:01:51 am »
a fine upstanding gentleman

I.I..I..I cccaa...nn...tt  bbbrrea...tthh.  I.I.I....cccaaann'tttt sssssttoooppppp lllau..ghhhiinnggg

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 12:59:51 pm »
ROTF!
It seems those llittle secrets eventually catch up ;D

Perhaps you would care to explain why Taz finds that statement so amusing?
I'd love to help but but I can't type well when my sides are splitting ...

Offline Blast

• Bronze Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 03:30:56 pm »
You may laugh at my misfortune but I am so astounded by this that I have decided to take this to a higher authority.

Here is my message to the owners of this site....

Dear Sirs/Madams

I wish to bring attention to the unearthly and unhealthy way both one of your Global Moderators and one of Your Administrators have denigrated me and my problem, laughing at me and making light of my physical disability and intimating I have a sexual problem and allowing it to be aired on your forum.

While I am understanding of their deviate and sometimes extreme measures due to the nature of this forum... yes I understand that people can be driven to unlikely behaviour due to computer problems, I am not afforded the same leeway.

I came here after being advised that this is the place to be handled... and I was pleasantly surprised when your expert PCBruiser took control and directed me to make the right moves. Showing me the way and gently leading me to try things I have never done before. He has proved to be an expert sucker... but these... these two.... these two computer heathens, laughing and making, I would say snide, but for the fact the comments are so in my face!

As you can see by my lonely nine or so posts on this forum, I am, but a virgin, while these two have well over two thousand practice posts to get their unprovoked attacks on me sorted. I am astounded.

I expect to be ejected by the laughing one by text message shortly as I heard this by her very mouth. As for the wizened Pom, I expect he will do all he can to have me sacked as he takes great pride in making sacking his business.

I mention this only a precursor to inform you of events yet to happen. As you will see, these two will aggressively deny any wrongdoing and use their status to try and sway your decision making. I trust you will see through their ill will and allow Mr PCBruiser to continue his fine work. I am enjoying the experience.

Thank you for listening and understanding my predicament.
With the highest regard
from this FINE UPSTANDING GENTLE GENTLEMAN.

Offline PCBruiser

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 08:57:46 am »
LOL, I'm quite sure we will give your issue all the attention it amply deserves ... <Snip><Delete>
Don't Read?  Can't learn!