Author Topic: "Operation Aborted"  (Read 1433 times)

Offline dalem29

• Bronze Member
"Operation Aborted"
« on: September 14, 2009, 07:08:44 pm »
When I go to the sports section of MSN at FoxSports.com and click on an article, a short time after the page comes up there appears a box say "IE8 cannot open the internet site" and below it says "operation aborted". I press OK and it goes to "This program cannot open the web page" I push the back button and the page in question comes up again. On my computer with XP this usually happens twice. Then it settles down and I can read the article. On my Vista computer this sometimes happens up to 4 times.

I have IE7 on both computers...tried to install IE8 on the Vista computer but somehow the download was corrupted and the download "reverted" and wouldn't install. A Windows security update wouldn't install either. All other security updates have downloaded normally on the Vista machine. Because of the problems on the Vista computer, I am reluctant to try to download and install IE8 on the XP computer. This could be a wholly different issue, because I seem to remember the Fox Sport issue occuring before IE8 came out. This site is the only one that has this happen to it, all other pages come up normally. Do you thiink this is in my settings somewhere?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:13:12 pm by dalem29 »

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Re: "Operation Aborted"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:35 pm »
Have you cleared your cache and temporary files out at all? When ever I have an problem with a page loading, that is the first thing I do, especially if it is only a single site that I have problems with. It can also cause problems with downloads.  There are instructions below.

About the problems installing an update of any kind, have you looked in the windows admintools event viewer to see if there is any mention of it in the log? They are in the Control Panel. Open the Admin tools, then open the event viewer. Over on the left hand side and click on System The look thru the entries and see if there is anything about the update. It may give you more information that will help you figure out the real problem.

Download and scan with CCleaner
1. Starting with v1.27.260, CCleaner installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which IS checkmarked by default during the installation. IF you do NOT want it, REMOVE the checkmark when provided with the option OR download the toolbar-free or Slim versions instead of the Standard Build.
2. Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
3. Then select the items you wish to clean up.
In the Windows Tab:
  • Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section except Cookies if you want to keep those.
  • Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section.
  • Clean all entries in the "System" section.
  • Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
  • Clean any others that you choose.[/COLOR]
In the Applications Tab:
  • Clean all except cookies in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
  • Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
  • Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.
  • Clean any others that you choose.[/COLOR]
4. Click the "Run Cleaner" button.
5. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
6. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.
7. Click "exit" when done.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline dalem29

• Bronze Member
Re: "Operation Aborted"
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:12:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I will clean it later and see if that helps