Author Topic: Two questions (not urgent)  (Read 2182 times)

Offline RuyLopez

• SpywareHammer Staff
  • Silver Member
Two questions (not urgent)
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:26:48 pm »
Greetings,

Two general questions regarding Windows XP Pro SP3.

1.  What is the best practice for dealing with the many $NtUninstall files that pile up over time within C:\Windows?  Can they be safely moved to a different storage medium such as a CD or another drive?   Can they be safely deleted after some reasonable amount of time?  Or are they best left where they are?

2.  Having finally updated Microsoft.NET Framework to 3.5 SP1 and removing the blasted Firefox add-on that came along for the ride, according to the Add/Remove Control Panel I now have both old versions 2.0 SP2 (185MB) and 3.0 SP2 (179MB) installed as well.  This compares to version 3.5 SP1 at only 28MB.  Can those earlier versions be safely uninstalled?  If so, is there a best method of accomplishing that?

Best regards,
RL

Offline Maurice Naggar

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Silver Member
Re: Two questions (not urgent)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 06:58:22 pm »
Hello Rob,

I am going to address the first issue, and entirely leave alone the second. I am not that familiar with how different applications work with the different versions of .NET Framework. But I somehow suspect that each one 'may' look for a specific flavor of .NET  ---- but that's guesswork. So I leave on my system, whatever flavor of .NEt is on there, and do not go out of the way to get the latest.

Anyhow, on the issue of uninstall folders for Windows updates & service pack upgrades.
Can they be safely moved to a different storage medium such as a CD or another drive?  
Yes. They are only needed if you need them to actually uninstall.

Can they be safely deleted after some reasonable amount of time? yes.  See the longer explanation below.

Or are they best left where they are?
If you have oodles of space, why bother.  <g>

Here, hopefully, is a more general explanation:
If you are really double-sure positive you'd never want to undo old patches from Windows Update--
then you could delete the individual $NtUninstallxxnnnnnn   folders.
Just know that would make the patches un-installable .

Those are individual hotfix un-install folders.  You may delete those.  
The registry will have  leftover entries; so if you wish to square that away, you need to get into Add/Remove Programs,
select these  items.  It will fail the uninstall, and then allow you to remove listing from registry.

Also, be aware, if you made recent 'optional' updates 'after' installing a service pack ---
then those would be among that set of folders.

If you will never need to un-install the service pack, the $NTServicePackUninstall$ folder  can be removed. To cover your bases, burn the folder to CD/DVD and then delete.

HTH
~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (October 2002 - September 2010)

Offline RuyLopez

• SpywareHammer Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:30:28 pm »
Hi Maurice,

Thank you!

Sounds easy enough, and prudent to just copy the $NtUnistall files over to another medium and then scrub them off my C-drive.

I rather suspected that the .NET Framework versions might best be left alone, which is what I shall due unless I hear otherwise.

Best regards,
RL

Offline Maurice Naggar

• Malware Removal Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:40:02 pm »
YW   !
Cheers
~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (October 2002 - September 2010)

Offline Predator

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
    • Help with Optical Drives
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:54:19 pm »
RL,

Currently my desktop at work has 4 versions of the .NetFramework; 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 & 3.0. Not yet installed 3.5x, our IT tends to stay slightly behind the time, still using IE 6. I work for a Electric Power Company and have to access various applications and/or sites on the web, three sites come to mind, Miss Utility, Gridsence and a Local County Court, each requires a specific version of the framework to access their site. Normally one might assume the latest version should include all previous. I am not an expert on framework, it may very well be true; however M-U must have 1.1; Court House 1.0 and Gridsence uses 2.0, we cannot access their sites without each one individually installed. I worked with our IT for two days on this issue, they had originally 1.0 & 3.0 installed and insisted 3.0 would cover 1.1 and 2.0 as well. Finally convinced them to install both and now access is available. If space is not an issue and not knowing your specific needs, I would leave them but that`s just my nickel.

Jeff

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

Offline RuyLopez

• SpywareHammer Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 01:09:52 pm »
Thanks Jeff, I will leave those alone since space is not a problem.