Author Topic: Missing or Corrupt File ... cannot fully boot  (Read 6446 times)

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
Re: Missing or Corrupt File ... cannot fully boot
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 08:28:52 pm »
It could depending on what all is included in the testing feature, and what parts of the testing features you used...however, that's really one for some tech with more knowledge of that particular function than I have.

If I knew exactly what functions those tests performed, I could answer but exactly what is meant by hard drive, system and memory testing is unclear as to the general testing.

There are however, subsets to each of those tests that you can perform so...see what I mean? For example, there is a custom test for you to use for particular symptoms you are having. Perhaps you should go back and have another look at the testing features available before you go on, just to make certain you have crossed all the T's & dotted...as the saying goes.

You can read through the Dell Diagnostic usage instructions Here. Long and short of it is, until you can get that thing to boot from a CD, there seems to be nothing more we can do here.

There are other means by which you COULD create your own bootable CD to bring a non booting system back to life, and if there is no one else you know who is willing to lend an install CD just for testing purposes, then you could investigate these other possible means...but before I suggest it here, I would have to consult with the Admin folks here because there may be some legal ramifications regarding the distribution of non licensed software. I doubt we will go that route so, look hard for some friend who can lend a hand first.

Certainly, if this were virus related and it was determined that you would need to reformat and reinstall that operating system, you would need a cooperative hard drive...but,  you have said, you cannot even get the BIOS to recognize your optical drive when a boot up is performed while the CD is installed.

You could try some other installation CD if you can find someone else who has one simply because, it is also possible that the CD you used is damaged.

There is still the possibility that the motherboard battery could have dried up as PCB stated. Have you checked it? Do you recall, was the system keeping the correct date and time or was it constantly changing to something else after you made a correction to it?
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 05:06:47 am »
Just a hunch,

Can you start your computer by tapping F8 and you'll see a screen.

Select repair my computer.

You should see an option to use system restore. Try to select a restore point to a time before this happened.

If that doesn't work, to enter the bios, on startup, press F2. Make sure under boot sequence you have the CD/DVD Rom selected first, then the HDD or Hard Drive. If you have these selected. then the next time you restart your computer, if you put your XP Operating system disk in, then try this...

Press any key to boot from CD.

Choose install.

Do the agreement.

Now choose repair. Leave the disk in until you see the Welcome Screen. Takes about 35 minutes.

You'lll have to get all your Windows Updates, again.

Rick
Welcome to Spyware Hammer!

Offline mic

• Bronze Member
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 03:18:08 pm »
Okay.
I changed the boot sequence and was able to get the re-install CD to do its thing.  Thank you.
I am getting an error message "unable to locate floppy drive"... this machine has no floppy.

After two sucessful restarts into WinXP, I am running a complete scan with mbam. 

Does anybody have any suggestions at this point... ie. virus scans, integrity testing?

I very much appreciate all the great help and information... and hunches.

mic

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 08:36:35 pm »
    Did you perform the repair as
PudgyOne suggested? If so, before you do anything else online, you should install ALL of the Windows Updates Here. Afterward, you should run a manual update of any of your on board protective software. What antivirus product are you using for real time protection?

Next, please open a command prompt (start-->run, type CMD-->enter) and type:
SFC /SCANNOW
then hit your enter key. Normally, the system will ask for the XP installation CD if there are any missing or corrupted files found. The SFC will use the installation CD (or the I386 folder) to replace those files with copies of the originals.

Allow the scan to complete and do nothing else with the computer while the scan is in progress. When it completes, the progress bar will disappear and you will be left with just the command prompt. Close the command prompt and reboot.

When you performed the "repair" as detailed above, windows should have checked the disk. Did it? if not...

When the system comes back up, please do the following:
To run the chkdsk utility:
  • Click Start-->My Computer-->Right Click on C:/ Drive
  • Select "Properties" then click the "Tools" Tab.
  • Under Error Checking click the "Check Now" button.
  • Under Check Disk Options put a check in Both boxes then Click Start.
  • Click Yes then Click OK and reboot the system.
When the system starts up the chkdsk utility begins checking the disk for errors. The scan may take quite some time so be patient.

When the scan completes, Windows will reboot automatically.

You can view the results in the event log:
  • Click start-->run...type eventvwr.msc then click "OK".
  • In Event Viewer, click the "Application" log.
  • In the right pane, look down the Source column for "Winlogon" and double-click on that entry to view the results.
You can post back your results and if you please, let us know what protective software you are using on board. Thanks!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline PudgyOne@work

• Bronze Member
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 11:10:31 pm »
1972vet,

Thank you. I was going to recommend that they post about their malware in the malware forum but have a busy week. Glad you can take care of him from here.

Rick

Offline mic

• Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 11:24:42 am »
Only partial joy.
We are now able to boot the WinXP completely.  After the desktop is present for about 3 minutes, the screen reverts to the Blue Screen with the following:  Check to be sure you have adequate disk space.  If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check ... etc.  Check for BIOS updates, ... etc.  Tech info:   ****STOP:   0x0000008E

I can start and use the machine in Safe Mode.  I was able to run SFC/SCANNOW from the command prompt, and it did not produce anything that looked abnormal.  Same for CHKDSK.

I have not been able to retrieve the event log, yet.... now, every time I boot the system, it starts the CHKDSK process.  Do I need to un-check somthing?  This has happended for three cycles.

Thank you.
mic

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 03:32:50 pm »
See if you can locate any of the files or registry keys mentioned in  this article. Don't make any changes or do anything that the article recommends, just have a look to see if this applies. This is a different blue screen than you were getting before...this one could be from malware. Let us know before you do anything else. Thanks!

edit added:
I forget to mention that I believe, if this is not the case, then I think it is most probably relating to RAM. Perhaps it's bad, or perhaps it's loose since it was dropped.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline mic

• Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 11:57:32 am »
Thank you.
I did not find any of the files mentioned in the article.
I will pull and re-seat the RAM tonite and let you know how that works out.
mic

Offline mic

• Bronze Member
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 08:03:26 pm »
As instructed, I removed and re-seated RAM.  This did not solve the problem.
Because I am able to start in safe mode, I selected a restore point in safe mode.  This worked.
I have scanned the hard drive with mbam and Stinger... found nothing.
It appears that all is well again.
Any suggestions at this point?

Many thanks for your patient help.

mic

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 08:20:27 pm »
Sure...I'd like to see a hijackthis log. Read This then visit This Forum. Read through those few sticky subjects at the top, then post your log to my attention. Thanks!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12