Author Topic: ASUS LifeFrame Opened by Itself  (Read 152 times)

Offline mooseboy018

• Bronze Member
ASUS LifeFrame Opened by Itself
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:20:23 pm »
There's a pre-installed program that came on my laptop called ASUS LifeFrame, and I've never used it before over the last year that I've had the laptop. While I was browsing the internet, it randomly opened up and told me it couldn't find my webcam. I disabled my laptop's build in webcam a long time ago, so that part's not the issue. I'm just concerned that a program that I've never used randomly opened up on its own and tried to access my webcam.

Nothing suspicious has shown up on my virus scans, but I'm still a bit nervous... I even taped over my webcam just in case.

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Re: ASUS LifeFrame Opened by Itself
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:29:19 pm »
It appears that LifeFrame has to do with the webcam. So for it to open, I would assume some program called for the webcam. Did you have any IM client open, or anything to do with video conferencing or chat? Do you have a remote desktop application installed?

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline mooseboy018

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:41:21 pm »
The only thing I had opened was Google Chrome, and the only IM chat related thing I had opened was Facebook. I wasn't using the chat feature at the time, and I don't think I even had the tab opened. I didn't see any sort of notification related to a webcam chat either (in Facebook itself).

Would Hamachi count as a remote desktop app?

EDIT: It looks like my webcam is still disabled, which is what I want. So I'm not having the same problem as some other people I've seen online. I tried searching for this problem, but everyone else seemed to just have a problem with their webcams turning on (actually enabling) by themselves, not just having a program like LifeFrame opening.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:57:09 pm by mooseboy018 »

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:06:30 pm »
Even though you have the webcam disabled, you may want to cover it anyway. There have been reports of webcams being enabled even after being disabled in the device manager. Also the light can be disabled while the webcam is enabled.

Hamachi is suppose to be a VPN software, but one of the features is unattended access. This sounds a lot like something I would not want on my computer. Is this program something you have installed because you need a VPN for computers you control, or so someone could help you with your system?

Consumer Security

Offline mooseboy018

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 08:12:23 pm »
I have Hamachi installed because my friends and I use it to play Gmod online.

EDIT: I could uninstall it, if you recommend it. Other than that, is there anything I can do? I still don't know if this was just a random error or something worse...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:18:42 pm by mooseboy018 »

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:30:08 pm »
It is your choice. But if you need it, you should also find a way to block others from accessing it except when you want to play the game. I am not 100% certain that caused the issue, but it could be.

Something else you can do, that might find the offending program, is look in the event viewer logs and see if something failed because the webcam did not start, or because LifeFrame was terminated.

Consumer Security

Offline mooseboy018

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:48:20 pm »
I always have Hamachi offline when I'm not using it. Or did you mean a more advanced method?

There is some sort of error in the event viewer that might have occurred around the same time I saw LifeFrame open. It's an application error for something called CALMAIN.exe.

And then there are several errors following it for the Bonjour Service saying "Task Scheduling Error: Continuously busy for more than a second."

Between these, Windows reported an appcrash.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:56:58 pm by mooseboy018 »

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:46:35 am »
I need you to go to the administration tools in Vista / Windows 7. They are in the Control Panel. Open the Admin tools, then open the event viewer. Over on the left hand side expand the window category and then click on  System. Then up at the top click on Action and then click on Save Events As, type in system as the file name,  make sure file type EVTX is selected, and then navigate so it will save the file to your desktop, then click save. Over on the left hand side and click on Application. Then up at the top click on Action and then click on Save Events As, type in application as the file name,  make sure file type EVTX is selected, and then navigate so it will save the file to your desktop, then click save. Zip them both up into a single zip file, post them back here in your next reply as attachments.

As for Hamachi, just so that you are aware this could be the cause.

Consumer Security

Offline mooseboy018

• Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:36:28 pm »
I tried to zip them up together, but it's still too big.

And should I just uninstall Hamachi at this point? I barely use it anyway, and it sounds like it poses a big threat to my security.

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 04:48:04 pm »
That is a choice you have to make. You need to balance the your security vs the use. About the logs, I am sending you a PM with a ling where you can upload the files to.

Consumer Security

Offline mooseboy018

• Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 04:50:18 pm »
At this point I'll probably just uninstall it. But I'm wondering how likely is it that someone was actually trying to access my webcam vs the likelihood of this just being a random computer problem.

I just got your PM. Thanks.

EDIT: I uploaded the zip.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:53:45 pm by mooseboy018 »

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 05:51:10 pm »
I am downloading the file now. As soon as I look thru it I will let you know.

About someone trying to access the webcam, you have to think about it from a privacy issue. Is your webcam in an area where you would be embarrassed at something the webcam could pick up if it were posted online? Or does the webcam see anything that could compromise your privacy or financial institutions?

Consumer Security

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 06:12:50 pm »
I have been finding more than a few issues. Most of them probably have nothing to do with what we are troubleshooting.

Do you have a Cannon Camera that you have installed on this computer? You need to reinstall the software, and update it.
Do you have STEAM installed? You need to allow it in your firewall. It can't get thru.
Also .net has a problem. Download the .net repair tool and run it.
Do you have Sonic Solutions’ CD burning software, apparently there is a problem with it and your version of windows. Try updating it.
You need to uninstall your version of Intel Management Engine Interface and then reinstall the newest version.

The .net, Cannon and Steam problems could cause the problem you saw.

Consumer Security

Offline mooseboy018

• Bronze Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 06:20:47 pm »
Thank you so much.

I'll get to these when I have a chance.

EDIT: And yes, I do have a cannon camera.