Author Topic: Malware on limewire  (Read 243 times)

Online Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Re: Malware on limewire
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »
Sell them.  If they stole the pictures I have, they would get tired of seeing my cats, and the seeing the nature pictures I have. But other people store pictures of a more intimate nature in places they should not, and they get stolen. Also there are all kinds of predators and perverts in the world. Pictures of kids get traded all over the place. Some people sell images of others to advertisers, clearing houses and other commercial ventures both legal and not so legal. If you did a google for something very specific, say a family of 4 enjoying a day at the waterpark, chances are good there are several of them online that you can get. Sometimes for a fee, sometimes for a mention of where you got it, or many other things. Try the google, you will be surprised.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline Trailblazer25

• Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 10:20:22 PM »
So they would just transfer them through limewire so the entire network could have your images. Wouldn't that affect their business of making a profit since they are exposed to a network that million people are on

Online Hoov

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 10:52:08 PM »
If they did not take precautions then yes. But they do. There are hundreds of ways to make it so that it takes a lot of effort to track them down. And resources that are beyond what people like us would need to track them down. Or at a minimum someone with more knowledge than I have.

Consumer Security

Offline Trailblazer25

• Bronze Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 06:04:53 AM »
If you look at your limwire and look at what you have shared wouldn't you see if malware added more files. Also if you delete a p2p program it usually keeps a file in a different folder so when you download it again it will retain the same settings so maybe you could see what files have been shared ?

Online Hoov

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
The malware could zip up files to a single file, and share that. Chances are you would not notice one extra file. Of course it could be that Limewire is just the delivery system for the malware and the malware itself uploads the file to a different location totally separate of Limewire.

Consumer Security

Offline Digerati

• Microsoft MVP
  • Silver Member
  • Post-Quinquagenarian
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 09:28:34 AM »
I don't understand how malware can determine what to share and what's important and what's not lol
As Hoov has noted, there are 10s of 1000s of new malicious code released every day! Do not try to pigeon hole all into one purpose. While some may look for specific file extensions, others may look for certain patterns in the file. Other malware may try to allow remote access to the bad guys. Some may just want to change your home page, or prevent your computer from booting. Do you really care why a badguy wants in your house? Or do you just want to ensure he can't get in?

You need to understand that these badguys have as many different intentions/motives as there are badguys out there. Some are there just to see if they could get there. Some just want to be mischievous. Some are just sadistic and enjoy inflicting pain. Some are there for profit. Some don't care at all about profit. Some want to take control of your computer for any number of purposes.

Some are wiz kids goofing off with a notebook. Others are highly organized with specialized hacking equipment - perhaps even financially backed and directed by foreign governments like China, N. Korea or Iran. 

Do NOT try to guess or understand what they want, what they find of value, or what they intend to do. There are entire cyber task forces in law enforcement and security organizations trying to do that every day - and the proliferation of malware and cybercrime over the last 20 years is proof even these highly skilled and highly funded security and law enforcement agencies don't have it figured out.

The thing to remember is, unless the badguy is someone who is specifically targeting you (which is highly unlikely), then these guys are just lazy opportunist - seeking out the easy pickings. If you don't leave your keys in the car, don't leave your front door unlocked, the bad guy is going to move on.

So I say again, if you have ANYTHING on your computer you don't want out there, don't participate in P2P filesharing, keep Windows and your security apps fully updated, and don't be "click-happy" on unsolicited downloads, attachments or links.

If a badguy happens upon your computer and sees you have your defenses up, doors closed and locked, he is not going to waste his time when he knows there are many easy pickings down the road.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2015

Offline Digerati

• Microsoft MVP
  • Silver Member
  • Post-Quinquagenarian
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »
I see now that you are one in the same as Yamaha, Trailblazer and Blazer (and maybe others) posting the same question at a 10 or more sites. Here, Landzdown, TechPowerUp, CyberTechHelp, PC Pitstop, TechSupportForum, and NeoWin, to name but a few! Not cool, dude!  >:(

Understand that "cross posting" (posting same question across multiple sites and forums) is considered "poor forum etiquette"! In other words, it is rude:s

Forum helpers are volunteers who dedicate our spare time helping others for free. Posting your question at 10+ different sites demonstrates a total lack of respect for those volunteers and to other posters seeking help for their problems! 

I don't know if just don't understand the problem or the magnitude of your offense, or if you are just trying to get attention - but understand, you now have it now!

I find your behavior particularly disturbing in this case because I see you have been asking these same LimeWire questions for a couple weeks and even though you have been told repeatedly of the dangers of P2P sites and what can and cannot happen, you keep asking the same questions at the next site you register at. 

To make this right, you need to visit every one of those sites (that have yet to shut you down!) and confess your mischievous and misguided deeds! That you now understand the gravity of your actions and that you promise to behave yourself from now on. That you will respect the volunteers of these sites and their valuable time. And finally, you will respect other posters who are there asking sincere questions to their legitimate problems.

See and study and obey the 25 Forum Posting Etiquette Tips.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2015

Online Hoov

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »
Not cool. Thanks for the heads up Digerati. This thread is being locked.

Consumer Security

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.