Author Topic: random folder appeared then disappeared in D drive  (Read 102 times)

Offline mooseboy018

• Bronze Member
random folder appeared then disappeared in D drive
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:44:06 AM »
Opened up my D drive a few minutes ago, and I saw a random folder that I didn't create. The name was a bunch of random letters and numbers. Something basically like: 12navui3fnb5abs

I right clicked it, and it said the folder had been created a few minutes before I found it. I scanned just the folder with TrojanKiller and Malwarebytes, and they both said there were no threats detected.

I opened the folder and inside were two .exe files (before I opened it, it asked me for administrator permission). At least I think they were both .exe files. I obviously can't go back and check since the entire folder disappeared. The name of the applications were something like mrstub.exe. I'm not 100% sure about the names, but I know it started with an 'm' and ended with 'stub'. I right clicked them, and it said they were both created on January 29th, which I thought was odd considering the folder had supposedly been created just a few minutes before I saw it.

When I tried to delete the folder, it said I couldn't because it was active in another program. I closed the D drive and opened it up again, and the mysterious folder was gone but not in my recycle bin.

Even though there was no threat detected, the fact that this thing just showed up out of nowhere has me a little worried. Any idea what it was? I tried checking TrojanKiller and Malwarebytes logs, but I didn't see the name of the folder or files listed anywhere.

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Re: random folder appeared then disappeared in D drive
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:37:57 AM »
Many malware scanners of all kinds create and destroy temporary files all the time like what you witnessed. I first ran into this many moons ago when I was using TrojanHunter and AVG. At that time it turned out to be TrojanHunter (if I remember correctly). The idea is that many virus and other malware can protect themselves against a scanner located in a specific location, but cannot protect themselves against an unknown scanner in an unknown location.

But you may also have malware on your computer. Take a look at this, http://www.tech-faq.com/mrtstub-exe.html. I am not saying this is what you have, but in my mind it seems as if a bit of paranoia is called for.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline mooseboy018

• Bronze Member
Re: random folder appeared then disappeared in D drive
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 12:04:03 PM »
Thanks for the response. I checked what processes were running last night, but I didn't see it. And I still don't see it running.

In the comments section of that article someone said:

This article is misleading. It appears mrtstub.exe appears when MS malicious software removal tool is updated via windows updates. the folder containing it is then deleted by Windows after a successful update

This would make sense considering I just had a windows update reminder, which I postponed, around the same time I saw that folder. And I successfully finished the update later that night. But it's still strange that the folder disappeared before the update was completed.

I'll start a malware removal thread just in case. I'd always rather be safe than sorry.

Click Here