Author Topic: windows 8 security  (Read 47 times)

Offline kitkat51

• Bronze Member
windows 8 security
« on: November 23, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »
 I have a windows 8 computer and read somewhere it doesn't have a built-in admin, what's the best way to secure it, maybe reset disk? It didn't come with operating disks and such.   :ty :ty

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Re: windows 8 security
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 06:32:31 pm »
I am not sure what you are talking about. ALL OS's have a built in Admin profile, or they do not need it (in the case of old operating systems).

To secure Windows 8 you need an Antivirus at a minimum, and if you have a laptop that you take around with you everywhere and connect to strange networks, then you also want to get a software Firewall. If you are using it only at home then you need either a software Firewall or preferably a hardware firewall. There are other tools that come in handy, I would include Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware with the AV and Firewall. But that will do it. When you create your user profile you need to make at least 1 admin account, but you may want to make the account you use all the time a standard account.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline Digerati

• Microsoft MVP
  • Silver Member
  • Post-Quinquagenarian
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:47:42 am »
You need a software based firewall regardless the type of computer, or where you use it. And the good news is, W8 already includes the fully capable Windows Firewall and a fully capable anti-malware solution with Windows Defender (a revamped version of Microsoft Security Essentials).

But regardless your anti-malware solution, you should have a secondary anti-malware program handy just to ensure you, or your primary anti-malware program didn't let something slip by and I agree that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an excellent choice for that.

As far as an admin account, yeah, W8 has one by default. Got a link to where you read that?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:01:54 am by Digerati »
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2015

Offline kitkat51

• Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:17:20 pm »
Thank you both for your help, I think I read somewhere that the built-in admin was disabled, my mistake sorry.
It is just that my other old xp I got locked out of and I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again. Thank you