Win 7 Pro-SP1, 32-bit. Last successfully updated via WU on 8-10-15. Since then WU checks for updates endlessly or eventually times out with error 8007000e, but MSE could be updated successfully from its own update tab today (8-12-15). And internet connection is ok
Here's what I've tried, not necessarily in order...
1. Confirmed that BITS service is running
2. Scanned with Malwarebytes and SAS, nothing detected
3. Ran SFC/scannow, no issues reported
4. Ran Windows Update troubleshooter, error 8007000e reported but unable to fix
5. Disabled ZoneAlarm firewall and MSE
6. System restore to 8-10-15, prior to last successful update via WU
7. System restore to 8-2-15
8. Win 7 Update troubleshooter (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2714434
) before/after restoring to 8-2-15
9. Manually stopped wuauserv and created new, empty SoftwareDistribution folder
10.MS Fix It 50123
11.MS Fix it 50202 which reinstalled wuauserv and all update components
Aside from this problem, system seems
to be running ok.