Author Topic: Mozilla crashing  (Read 13134 times)

Offline NancyATN

• Bronze Member
Re: Mozilla crashing
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 07:15:29 pm »
I deleted it again. I checked the box when it asked if I wanted to delete personal folders. I then went into program files and found yet another Mozilla folder that I deleted. And lo and behold, it seems to be working! I have to rebuild my toolbar with all my favorite links, but that is no big deal. I have not enjoyed using IE and am anxious to get back to FF. Thanks so much for your help. I'll use it extensively the next few days and let you know if I have any other problems. How frustrating that I THOUGHT I did this early on. Thanks a million for your help!

Offline NancyATN

• Bronze Member
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 07:18:40 pm »
You know, I reread your post and I realize the folder I manually deleted WAS the add-on folder. So it wasn't FF itself, it was an add-on. FYI for future frustrated users, I guess. Thanks again! :D

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 07:22:14 pm »
NancyATN,

Yes, the Firefox folder is what needs to be deleted. This does sometimes become corrupot. Sorry I mentioned about the other items.

Rick
Welcome to Spyware Hammer!

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 04:10:32 am »
I didn't suspect that solution as both FF safe mode and actual computer safe mode still showed crashes.

Nice one, Rick! :)
Never stop learning - visit the SpywareHammer Knowledgebase

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 04:33:53 am »
Steve,

When you remove Mozilla Firefox or even upgrade it, the Mozilla Firefox folder remains. The key to saving the bookmarks helps. Deleting the folder gives you a clean start.

Now as NancyATN starts adding her add-ons, she'll just have to watch closely and make sure that one of them did not cause the problem.

I was reading to see if the folder was deleted or not and thought I'd suggest it.

Happy Holidays and take care,

Rick

Offline NancyATN

• Bronze Member
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 07:36:37 am »
Ok, VERRRYYY interesting development here. Everything was working fine since our last communication. Rebooted my computer last night as I went to bed. Came out this morning to see that Adobe Flashplayer had updated. Firefox had also updated. FF is now back to not even opening. What shall I do?  >:(

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 10:23:14 am »
NancyATN,

You can try uninstalling Mozilla firefox and then delete the folder, again. You should still have the bookmarks from before.

Next question is....

What add-on are you using with Mozilla Firefox? It's possible that one of the add-on is causing Mozilla Firefox to crash.

I use Mozilla Firefox and I use IE Tab, it makes Mozilla Firefox work like Internet Explorer. It even allows ActiveX. If I use the spell checker, it will crash every time. It also used to crash when I signed out or Highmark Blueshield's website.

Let me know what add=ons you're using, I'll consider trying them on mine.

Rick

Offline NancyATN

• Bronze Member
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 11:10:37 am »
Since I couldn't even get FF to open long enough to check my add-ins, I'll have to go on memory. I added autofill, and I think I added a popup blocker this last time, but don't think I was using it before when I had continual issues. I hadn't added more than a few, and the only one I remember going after was AutoFill. I have uninstalled and reinstalled FF but have not put any add-ons back in.

This is getting old. Thanks for your help!
Nancy

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 01:24:18 pm »
NancyATN,

I adde3d AutoFill Forms to see if it happens on mine.

Have you scanned your computer for Malware?

Try downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, update it and do a quick scan.

Report back if it finds anything.

Rick

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 03:03:18 pm »
NancyATN,

I just tried to connect and Mozilla Firefox started acting up for me. I uninstalled AutoFill Forms and the problem went away.

So the add-on seems to be causing the problems. I don't know if it a compatibility issues with the newer version or not.

Rick

Offline NancyATN

• Bronze Member
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 03:16:23 pm »
I already had the Malware program on my computer, and I ran SEVERAL programs and scans when I initially had the problem. I am running the Malware program again, just to be sure. FF seems to be working fine again after uninstall and reinstall with NO add-ons thus far.

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 03:38:33 pm »
NanctATN,

I use Adblock Plus as my add blocker. I use WOT to keep people from going to bad websites. I do like a few others like All-In-One Sidebar, colorful tabs, forecastfox, ie tab, print/print preview and tab mix plus.

Those add-ons are safe. It seems that the Autofill was causing problems, so it must not be compatible with the newer versions of Mozilla Firefox.

Rick

Offline NancyATN

• Bronze Member
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 03:42:42 pm »
Thanks makes perfect sense, given that FF WAS working and then Mozilla updated and then FF quit. I loved the Autofill capability, but I can live without it! I'll scope out some of the add-ons you mentioned. Thanks guys, it is great to have you available!

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 03:53:07 pm »
NancyATN,

Keep us posted. Maybe there is another add-on that might work. I use Mozilla Firefox all the time and There are some things that stay, like my email address, name, address, city, state, zip and I leave them there, just as long as it's not my credit card number or bank account.

Rick

Offline NancyATN

• Bronze Member
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 03:58:00 pm »
The autofill can be password protected and fills in entire forms with one click. It was great. When I have more time I'll see what else I can find. Thanks again!