OK, so I think that worked. I was able to get back online after a couple of times of leaving the pc alone. However, I have other problems that I'm not sure are related or not. About the third time I came back to see if the computer would wake up and go right online, I found that the blank screen would not return me to the desktop. I tried everything to get the pc to respond. This has happened many times, and my only recourse is to unplug everything and take out the battery. This always seems to work.
I took some notes on what happened today:
1. Removed battery and reconnected power and cable. After my desktop appeared, I got the message "CONFIG FREE Wireless communication is disabled. Please turn on wireless communication switch." Note: I never use anything wireless.
2. I hit OK and I get the message "Switching network device now." All during this time my mouse is jumping around to catch up with my mouse movements, as it has done in the past.
3. I couldn't get online again, and windows tries to diagnose the problem, which it can't do. By the way, how do I determine what modem I have? There is no information on the bottom of the pc and I forget how to get the hardware list back up.
4. I restart the computer, but before it restarts, I get the message, "Ending Program: MciAsynchEventMgrWnd". I hit End and then the pc shuts down.
5. After the pc restarts, I do not get the CONFIG FREE message, but I do get the "Switching network device now" message. The internet worked normally from this point.
So the thing that started the problem here is that the pc just wouldn't wake up from the blank screen.