Author Topic: not to sure if its the router itself or the provider of my internet service  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Medina

• Bronze Member
i'd like to start off by saying merry xmas  ;D and now on to the problem = ) its very weird my router and wireless seem to be plugged in and working, except the fact that all of the computers in my house cannot connect to e. it just doesn't load, giving an error message, and when i do a diagnostic, it states that windows cannot find the host name www.google.com using DNS the domain name server may be down. however i can sign onto aol but the sites i visit on there are limited. i tried to reset the router i even visited http://192.168.1.1/wireless.htm tried to play around with some stuff on there as well. i also searched the problem i'm having and found out that other people have went through this before tried to follow some of there steps but i get nothing. i reset the settings on my wireless network site and got to load one e internet page and only allowed to visit one website, so i'm pretty much where i started. this is day two of my problem, any adivce on why this happened or how i can fix it would be greatly appreciated thanks, Medina.

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Hi Medina, and Merry Xmas to you, too!

I'm going away in a few hours but I have some suggestions to start the ball rolling.

• What Operating System, firewall and browser are you running?
  • Try downloading K-Meleon browser and install it.  See if you can access any sites using that browser.
  • Go to Start, Run, type command and click OK.  In the Command Prompt window do the following (Note the space after 'ipconfig' in all the following commands):
    • Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.  Wait for the flashing cursor to reappear.
    • Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.  Wait for the flashing cursor to reappear.
    • Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.  Wait for the flashing cursor to reappear.
    • Type exit and press Enter to close the window.

Now reboot your computer.

If you still have problems accessing sites then do this:

• Open a Command Prompt window as above.  Type tracert www.google.com (space after 'tracert') and press Enter.
  • When the flashing cursor reappears (it may take a couple of minutes) note the last 2 lines of the report and post them back here - it will either be something like this:
    12    40 ms    35 ms    35 ms  216.239.49.126
    13    33 ms    31 ms    29 ms  gv-in-f99.1e100.net [216.239.59.99]
    or else it will show a timeout.
  • That will (hopefully) show us where the problem lies.
Never stop learning - visit the SpywareHammer Knowledgebase

Offline Medina

• Bronze Member
just wanted to say the problem is fixed, everything is working now. thanks a lot, be safe on your trip and happy holidays  ;)

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Hi Medina,

Sorry to have to leave this one hanging.
Thanks for the update, and I'm glad the problem is sorted ;D
Never stop learning - visit the SpywareHammer Knowledgebase