Author Topic: Strong signal from wireless router, can't aquire an IP  (Read 3927 times)

Offline laura90059

• Bronze Member
Strong signal from wireless router, can't aquire an IP
« on: March 10, 2010, 02:13:51 pm »
My daughter got some sort of virus on her computer, by the time she told me about it she had a blue screen and Windows would not boot.

She was running XP Pro with all the current updates.

I formatted and reinstalled XP Pro, using the long, not fast, format option (our version is pre SP2) and tried to connect to the Internet to get all the service packs and updates, but cannot connect to the Internet.

I could connect to the wireless router with a strong signal but not to the Internet. I tried to repair the connection but could not renew the IP address.

We have 5 other computers connecting to the same router, so bad a router is not the problem. The computer is still sitting in the same location as it was prior to this mess, so location in relation to the router is also not the issue.

I tried setting a fixed IP, still could not connect.

I have changed out the wireless card (with the proper drivers) using one from another computer that is working fine. Still can't get an IP.

I ran winsockXPfix.exe.

Then, in desperation, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Same problem, can't get an IP assigned and setting a fixed IP doesn't work either. I have since reinstalled XP Pro.

Also, no firewall is not blocking the connection as all I have right now is Windows firewall.

What I am wondering is if the virus possibly shut some ports or did some mischief that is not even fixable with a format and clean install. Is their anything in the MBR that could affect my ability to connect to the Internet?

When I view my wireless connection status it shows I am sending packets but not receiving any.

Tools, I have at my disposal:
USB flash drive for transferring files
CD/DVD burner to transfer bigger files

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
Re: Strong signal from wireless router, can't aquire an IP
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:36:53 pm »
laura90059,

What is the make and model of your computer and current operating system?

What type of security does your wireless router use?

What version of XP do you have installed?

Rick
Welcome to Spyware Hammer!

Offline laura90059

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:21:58 am »
Hi PudgyOne,

The computer is not a brand name, so I have no make and model for you.  The motherboard is an ECS model NF-MCP61.

The router is a Linksys and I am using WEP.  I am using the correct key.

I have just reinstalled a fresh install of Windows XP Pro (no service packs). The only other thing installed on the computer is the driver and utility for the wireless card.  The card works perfectly (I installed it in another machine with XP Pro to test it and verify the driver was correct).

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:20:28 am »
laura90059,

Your setup should look like...

wall > isp modem/router > wireless router(if any) . wired/wireless

If using DSL, a DSL filter must be on phones, answering machines, faxes, etc..., everything except the DSL modem.

You can share a dsl filter.

wall > dsl filter . splitter . multiple devices

First, try updating the firmware in the wireless router (make and model needed, manufacturers website)

Broadcast SSID (I'd change this because you're going to need to change things.

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal)

Mixed mode

Use channels 1, 6 or 11, I use channel 11.

Save and exit. Power off the ISP modem/router and also power off your wireless router. Wait 30 seconds. Power on the ISP modem/router first. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router.

Restart your computer. Now try to connect to the new network.

What happens. Remember if you have something not setup correctly, you can still use the ethernet cable.

Rick

Offline laura90059

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:04:16 am »
Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post, there is nothing wrong with my router we have 5 other computers all working fine on the network. Or maybe I posted in the wrong forum, because I am sure this problem is virus related.

This particular computer WAS also working fine on the network until my daughter caught a virus of some sort that gave her the blue screen of death.  AFTER the virus and the reformat and reinstall of windows the connection problem started.

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:16:45 am »
laura90059,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the chipset drivers first? These are needed to get vital parts working.

Rick

Offline laura90059

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 04:29:36 pm »
Yes, I did.

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 04:42:31 pm »
laura90059.

When XP first came out it did not support WPA Security, in the earlier versions.

Did you update the computer, through Windows Updates to XP SP2 or XP SP3?

Rick