Author Topic: FAILED WINDOWS UPDATE  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Medina

• Bronze Member
FAILED WINDOWS UPDATE
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:03:08 am »
hello all,
    i've been getting constant failed updates for some time now. got a few errors, ill post a couple . . . .

CODE A97
CODE 80070641

18 updates and 17 failed.

why is this happening, most importantly how do i fix it ?

Thanks,
Medina.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
Re: FAILED WINDOWS UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 04:31:39 am »
What type operating system is it...Windows XP sp1? Vista? Windows 7?
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline Medina

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:41:14 am »
vista, sorry i forgot to mention that.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:35:59 pm »
For the error code A97, you would need to have your Office install media inserted into the CD/DVD Rom while the update(s) are installing. If that's a Dell machine you probably don't have the media as Dell is pretty adamant about keeping that for themselves (for whatever reason). If yours is a trial version, you would be better off to just uninstall it, then try Windows Updates again. Of course, those updates would no longer be offered, thus that particular error would disappear in that case.

If yours is NOT a trial version and you fully intend to use it and keep the license up to date, then you need to contact Dell and ask them how they intend to fix your issue for you...Don't be surprised if they tell you to contact Microsoft. Passing the buck these days is fairly common.

The definition of the error code you’ve received 0x80070641 can be found below:

ERROR_INSTALL_SERVICE_FAILURE - The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

If you can successfully install applications that rely on the Windows Installer then the service itself is most likely functional, and was simply in use at the time of the update. Thus, you will want to make sure that the Windows Installer service is not in use prior to attempting updates.

If the issue persists after you’ve confirmed no installations are taking place proceed with the troubleshooting below.

How-to stop the Windows Installer service.

If you are sure no installations or configurations, which rely on the Windows Installer, prior to updating you can try manually stopping the Windows Installer service, and then attempting Windows Update. If the error code persists after that the issue may be related to a corrupt or otherwise damaged Windows Installer.

Stop the Windows Installer service and then use Windows Update…

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2. At the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:

3. net stop msiserver

Note: This will effectively stop the Windows Installer service. This service will load-on-demand so manually stopping it does not adversely affect the computer.

4. Launch Windows Update, and then attempt to install the previously failed updates
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Medina

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:27:59 pm »
yes it's a dell, inspiron 1525.

only one of the CD/DVDs that came with the computer have media written on it . . . . Dell MediaDirect 3.5 would that be the one you mentioned?

also when i went to admin command prompt and typed the information you told me, after enter this is what came up . . . . The Windows Installer service is not started.  i went ahead and gave the updates another shot but nothing 8 updates failed.

error code's . . . .
A97

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:01:54 am »
Your best bet would be to visit the Microsoft Update Solution Center where you can receive help directly from Microsoft. Some of your issues might be Software/Hardware related in which case they would be able to make that determination and offer assistance, regardless of that, your issue most likely will be solved by reading through their KB articles they offer up on the "failed" windows update page that is returned. Try that and let us know how it turns out. Thanks!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Medina

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 02:44:34 am »
little confused on the whole update thing, still having this problem, might need assistance with it, i'll probably give dell a call. i do have a question though, as my other thread was about my drive and it being damaged due to a virus, i got a few pop ups about a virus, needs to be removed etc. i have avg i run that and there are no viruses found. today i get a pop up a little worse than before displaying different areas on my computer have numerous threats, again i run avg and nothing found. little bit worried as what to do. took a screen shot to give you a visual.  

i clicked the windows security alert box and it gives me the option to run or save. i click run the file name is setup_40s2.exe its an unknown publisher and asks are you sure you want to run this file, figured i'd see what you say. i don't know if i should start a new topic so i'll just await your reply and take it from there.

thanks.

[Attachment removed by Admin.]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:58:23 am by Bugbatter »

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:30:18 am »
OK...don't click to run or save it. That web site is a rogue antivirus page where you will be infected with a "for ransom" malicious program. Now I see the problem. You would be better served to follow the instructions in the several links at the top of This Forum and post those requested logs. Someone will be along to analyze your logs as time permits. Good Luck!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline Medina

• Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 10:24:05 pm »
i'm doing that right now just wanted to say thanks for your help!!

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 04:58:45 am »
You are most welcome indeed. I have answered your issue in the Malware Removal forum where we will get to the bottom of this for you.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12