Author Topic: Free Anit-virus for Linux uBuntu  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Predator

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
    • Help with Optical Drives
Free Anit-virus for Linux uBuntu
« on: March 30, 2010, 06:13:50 am »
I had an older HP notebook with XP Home and the little thing was as slow as molasses in Winter time. Also took forever to find the drivers for the wireless card, once I did the connectoin was always poor in our den.
Long story short, decided to give Linux uBuntu a try, never dived into Linux before so I needed a new project anyway.
Once I downloaded the program, created the ISO disc, started the process. Actually took three tries at it, kept hanging at the partitioning stage, then finally she completed and I must say was very surprised. The system is much faster, uses Firefox, picked up the wireless card and asked for my security code and we were off and running.

Two questions: What free anti-virus would you recommende for Linux uBuntu?
Has anyone tried Google Chrome with Linux?

Thanks,

Jeff

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

Offline RuyLopez

• SpywareHammer Staff
  • Silver Member
Re: Free Anit-virus for Linux uBuntu
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:53:08 pm »
Greetings Jeff,

Let me begin with a disclaimer--I know next to nothing about Linux.  That said, you might want to read Do I need an anti-virus in Linux? posted at Wilders Security Forums.

They have an entire section devoted to Linux which might also prove valuable to you.

Best regards,
RL

Offline Predator

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:44:29 am »
Thanks RL,

I followed the link and the reading was very interesting although they tend to let the original topic in the thread get off track.
In a nutshell, they basically say if you don`t do some stupid, like open e-mail attachments, run .exe files, thoroughly read the pop-up messages, etc then you do not need anti-virus with Linux or even Windows. .
After more reading, following additional links, some recommend using Sandboxie:
http://www.sandboxie.com/

I found other posts mentioning Avir and other software which I was not familiar with simply due to not knowing Linux.
From this, I will need to brush up on my reading skills,
Thanks again....
difference.

Offline RuyLopez

• SpywareHammer Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:56:59 am »
Hi Jeff,

I hope you read the link in the first post to that thread:  http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-security.html  The OP's site is rich with Linux related content.

You might also find the Linux forum at Calendar of Updates to be a good resource:  http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showforum=46

Best regards,
RL

Offline Predator

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:48:57 am »
Hi RL,

Yes I did follow the first link and the last one you listed as well, excellent reading and I thank you my friend!
I went ahead and registered at the last location and most likely will at the first link some time before the weekend is over.
I have had very good luck with Avast and I believe I will go that route for now.
If I understood the info on Google Chrome, it is still in beta for Linux so I will wait, FireFox is great so not in a hurry.

I may give Chrome a try on my big machine, installed Windows 7 on it a couple of months ago.
Take care and Happy Easter!

Jeff
difference.