Author Topic: help with hp, won't open browsers  (Read 1513 times)

Offline hutchinsas

• Bronze Member
help with hp, won't open browsers
« on: April 05, 2010, 03:41:02 pm »
hi all,
I have posted on here once before with a malware situation. My dh is having an issue with his computer so we thought we'd try here before sending it to hp to be repaired.
OK here is the problem. We have 2 computers on 1 router, both laptops. Both have worked fine with the router for about 9 mos. Now all of a sudden his computer (hp pavillion DV9000) shows that it is connected to the internet but won't open any browsers. he usually uses Chrome but has tried IE also without success. It is Windows Vista.
We called the cable company and the router manufacturer and they couldn't help. We are hoping we're missing something simple and can fix it without huge expense.
Any ideas? Thanks so much!
Sorry for no capital "h," my computer is also in need of TLC. :h

Offline PudgyOne

• Dell Support Group
  • Bronze Member
Re: help with hp, won't open browsers
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:43:17 am »
hutchinsas,

Things to try...

Power off the isp modem/router and your wireless router(if any). Wait 30 seconds, then turn on the ISP modem/router first, then wait 15 seconds and then turn on the wireless router.

Restart your computer and try to connect. Anything?

Try downloading and running WinSock XP Fix. If you have to download and put on a flash drive, that will work.

Since I don't know if you have a 64-bit system or not, if you do, there are three versions of Internet Explorer. Start, in search, type, Internet. Use the Version that does not have (64-bit) after it. Internet Explorer (64-bit) does not support flash player.

Open Internet Explorer, click on tools, manage add-ons, enable or disable add-ons. Disable all the add-ons. Close Internet Explorer. Wait 30 seconds and then open Internet Explorer. Anything?

Did you try using Mozilla Firefox?

Rick
Welcome to Spyware Hammer!