Author Topic: Explorer stops working  (Read 9280 times)

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Explorer stops working
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 02:48:48 pm »
That's good to hear!
Glad you are running smoothly once more :)

Never stop learning - visit the SpywareHammer Knowledgebase

Offline Knitter

• Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 08:26:42 am »
OK, it is not over yet. I had this same error message again. What I did prior to the error:

Opened Photoshop and reduced the size of some images. Closed PS. Opened two explorer, copied some files to other drives. Closed both explorers, clicked on start, and there it was!

I have exactly the same programmes on another PC running Win2K, and I have never seen the error on this PC.

I assume this error has something to do with Vista. I don't remember when it started, but it was pretty soon after the Vista PC was set up.

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 02:43:53 pm »
Not what I wanted to hear! ;)

Let's try another approach.  This is a non-destructive procedure but, as I always like to have a safety net, I recommend setting a Restore Point first. You probably know how to do this better than me - right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced System Settings, System Protection tab, Create.

Next, download ShellExView , install the downloaded file and run it.

You will see a list of all the shell extensions installed on your system.  Some are highlighted in pink, and it's those we are interested in.

Click on the word 'Company' at the top of the column of that name.  This will sort out all the pink entries into one or more blocks.  (I have 2 blocks of pink, one at the top and one at the bottom of the list).  We now need to select all these pink entries.

Starting at the top of the list, click on the first entry in the first pink block to highlight it.  Hold Shift down and click the last entry in the block.  The first pink block should then be highlighted.  Release the Shift key.

Scroll down to the next pink block (using the scroll bar at the side of the window or the wheel of a 'wheely mouse'), hold Ctrl down and click the first entry in this second block.  Keeping Ctrl held down, press Shift and click on the last entry in the pink block.

Repeat for any pink blocks further down.  This will have highlighted all the pink entries in the list.

Go to File, Save Selected Items, name the file and save it to your desktop (or another location where you will find it again).  Attach this file to your next post.

It seems that certain shell extensions can cause the type of problem you are seeing.  Temporarily turning these extensions off may provide a clue if one of them is responsible for breaking Explorer.  If not then we can simply turn them back on again.  You may find certain things look a little different when these extensions are turned off - the right click menu, for instance - but everything will return to normal when reinstated.

Offline Knitter

• Bronze Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 05:38:49 pm »
Should I turn off all the pink items, or just some of them?

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 01:15:11 am »
Thanks for the log.

No, some of those extensions are required.  Try turning off the following, reboot and see if you can reproduce the error:

FileZilla 3
7-Zip Context Menu
7-Zip Drag & Drop Handler
McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO
McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar
OpenOffice.org Column Handler
OpenOffice.org Infotip Handler
OpenOffice.org Property Sheet Handler
OpenOffice.org Thumbnail Viewer
Webroot Spy Sweeper Context Menu Integration

You may be prevented from turning that last one off - let me know if that happens and leave it enabled.

If the error still occurs then turn the 2 McAfee SiteAdvisor extensions back on and we can look at the others.

Offline Knitter

• Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 08:50:38 pm »
Sorry for taking so long. Real life needed my attention.  :)

I could turn them off, all of them. And I could not reproduce the error. Then what? Let me guess - turn them on one at a time until I get the error again? Any specific order?

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 01:53:56 am »
Hi again!
Real life can be like that, but should take priority.
Hope things are going better now.

The ones I mentioned are either non-critical or else have been known to cause problems in the past.  The others I would prefer to test after everything else as they relate to security programs and the video driver.  However, you are correct - turn off the ones above and see if the problem persists.  If not then turn them back on in this order:

McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO
McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar

then

Webroot Spy Sweeper Context Menu Integration

then

OpenOffice.org Column Handler
OpenOffice.org Infotip Handler
OpenOffice.org Property Sheet Handler
OpenOffice.org Thumbnail Viewer

then

FileZilla 3

and finally

7-Zip Context Menu
7-Zip Drag & Drop Handler

Sorry it's a long drawn out process but that is often the way with problems like this one.  I would tend to suspect the last 2 - 7 zip - but that's just based on the research I have done.

Let me know what you find.

Offline Knitter

• Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 09:27:47 pm »
I think We have found the culprit!  The error came back when I turned Spysweeper on.
Now is there anything else to do other than uninstall this program?

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 03:15:15 pm »
Hi again - hope you are enjoying the holiday season! :)

Great detective work!  Are you referring to the setting we swithched off 3 posts ago using ShellExView - the one named 'Webroot Spy Sweeper Context Menu Integration'?

If this is the case the just switch it off again.  This feature allows you to right click on a file and choose to scan just that one file with SS.  If you never use this feature then it will be no great loss to you, and in any case we can use a different method to achieve a similar result.

If it is SpySweeper as a whole that is giving problems then that is a little more difficult, though we can still get to a workable solution.

Offline Knitter

• Bronze Member
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 02:38:05 pm »
Hi again - hope you are enjoying the holiday season! Smiley

Yes, thank you  :)  and you too, I hope. I just visited Berlin for 5 days. Photos are on my danish homepage.

Great detective work!  Are you referring to the setting we swithched off 3 posts ago using ShellExView - the one named 'Webroot Spy Sweeper Context Menu Integration'?

Yes I am. I will switch it off again, and then switch the rest on and se how it works.

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 03:23:22 pm »
Let me know and we will sort out another 'right click and scan' option if you need one.

Do you have another site apart from the English one?  I looked for the photos but couldn't see them there.
Although I did find some excellent ones on that site! :)

Offline Knitter

• Bronze Member
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 03:28:40 pm »
Oh,yes, look under "home" in the menu, or here www.soejberg.com/berlin.html

Offline Mister2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 11:48:44 pm »
Thanks, I missed that link!

Some wonderful photos there, the low-light ones especially, as they are difficult to capture with a hand-held camera and a tripod is often impractical.
I was rather taken by the tower in the shopping centre - I presume 'skrot' translates as 'scrap'?

Looks like you had a great trip and you certainly visited a lot of different places.
Thanks for sharing! :)