Author Topic: Wiping and Reinstalling an XP computer  (Read 981 times)

Offline Mman22

• Bronze Member
Wiping and Reinstalling an XP computer
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:38:35 am »
I have an old laptop that is seriously bogged down (techinical term:) by all the processes that are running on it.  Since trying to identify which processes are required for the system and which aren't is such a pain, it has been recommended to me that I wipe the system and reinstall Windows XP with the system restore disk.  However, I remembered that my restore disk was lost a few years ago, so I was wondering can I use the restore disk from another XP computer, or does the disk have to be for that particular brand/model of computer?  Or would you recommend another solution to the issue?  The laptop still works, but takes 2-3 minutes to boot and I consistently have if freeze up or I receive the message that windows is running low on virtual memory.  I was hoping that wiping it would free up enough RAM and CPU usage to make it run like new again.  Thanks for the input.

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
Re: Wiping and Reinstalling an XP computer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:00:15 am »
Using a system restore disk from another computer would not work. They are specific to the model computer.

Have you used ccleaner to clean off the temporary files from the computer? To many temporary files can cause a slowdown in boot time, and if you have a lot, then that will reduce the amount of disk space available for the virtual memory. Also go thru the add / remove programs control panel, and uninstall all the programs listed that you don't or will not be using. Once you have gone thru those steps, try running a defragmentation routine on the drive, and then see how it boots. Let me know how that goes.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!