Author Topic: Software Distribution Services 3.0  (Read 9837 times)

Offline kfuller

• Bronze Member
Software Distribution Services 3.0
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:10:20 am »
My problem started two days ago when I notice my computer booting shower than normal and always being updated when shutting down. I discovered “software distribution services 3.0” on my computer. I found that this is one of those Microsoft files which appears to cause problems with the operating system.

Much of what I read advised to remove the SDS 3.0. Easier said than done.

I checked restore system and found SDS 3.0 loaded on every date and I was unable to restore to a time and date prior to SDS 3.0. One blog advised to boot in safe mode with Internet enabled and download a Microsoft utility tool to remove the SDS.

Now my real problems began. I was unable to boot in safe mode and was no longer able to boot period. I received a black screen message stating “missing or corrupt /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM” and recommended booting up using F12 and selecting "R". That didn’t work giving the same black screen message. I then tried to boot from the Original XP disk. The computer stated no CD drive could be found.

A check with Microsoft revealed a method to recover from a registry crash but only if I’m not using an OEM installation. I have a Dell Latitude D830 with OEM XP Pro.

Next I purchased an external docking station for my hard drive and manually recovered as many documents as possible. That took two days.

This morning I replaced the hard drive in my computer and it booted up flawlessly. I’ve spent the past 4 hours backing up everything of value on my computer and cleaning up. I’m back to where I started and still have SDS 3.0. I disabled automatic updates but unsure if SDS will turn them back on.

I’ve run a DDS and I’ll send if needed. At this point I’m afraid to try any further attempts to remove the SDS. As a last resort I can re-install the operating system but would rather remove SDS.

Thanks for your time and any suggestions you may have. Please consider that my technical skills are just above rock, stick, etc.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
Re: Software Distribution Services 3.0
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:17:37 pm »
Click Here to find a solution to your Windows Update issue...or click  Here and accept the agreement to create a service request ticket for assistance from Microsoft (it's free).
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline kfuller

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:30:08 am »
Thanks Vet72 from a Vet64 Air Station Midway Atoll.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:06:45 pm »
Salute!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven