Author Topic: XP re-install  (Read 3981 times)

Offline stoker

• Bronze Member
Re: XP re-install
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 03:38:57 pm »
I have the Drivers and Utilities cd, but it is old and moldly.

Offline Hoov

• Malware Removal Mentors
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • Unwilling part owner of Gov't. Motors and Chrysler
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 03:43:17 pm »
Ah, but if you start with those, you know it will be clean. Then once you do windows update, you will get the new drivers. SO if you suspect the ones you have on the thumbdrive, start over and use the ones on the CD.

Consumer Security

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Offline stoker

• Bronze Member
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 03:55:53 pm »
Have to go to work now and I will re-install xp yet again in the AM .....on the home unit. This fu**ing malware **** is making me know too much about the matrix!!!!!!!!       
ps I know i installed that disk on my last re - try and it did dook.

Offline stoker

• Bronze Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 03:02:42 am »
I did from the desktop unit. I think the problem was that I was using my infected laptop to copy the drivers and re- infecting my new install. I think the desktop is all good now, so the laptop is next. That unit I bought on EBAY and had no disks for. HMMMMMM..........start of all my problems?

Offline stoker

• Bronze Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 04:09:38 am »
Also my bad as a novice for not using run feature to extract the drivers. Let the disk roll at first and had no idea what I was looking at.

Offline stoker

• Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 04:20:22 am »
 :ty Another question I. When setting a restore point, what drive does it write to. Can you dictate which one? :o3

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 09:48:05 am »
First the laptop, if you need help in cleaning it out, I suggest you start a new post here, http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0 , make sure to read the stickies at the top of the board.

About the restore point, they are always stored on the disk that they are for. As far as I know, there is no way to change that. It might be possible with a registry hack of some kind, but I would leave it alone. That way you know it will work.

Consumer Security

Offline stoker

• Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 11:01:31 am »
The laptop is getting a clean re-install as I type. I think I'm a pro now at doing this operation. I only wished I backed up my critical files somewhere safe. I had to peel 1 very important file for my desk top unit. Not sure where I got it from, was it off the infected laptop and did I re- infect it again? Was it from a legit cd I had? Mbam and Avast said  no. Any other way of checking this 1 file to see if it had cooties?

Hoov, I really want to thank you for all your help.

Stoker :ty

Offline Hoov

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
    • Hoov's Personal Site
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 12:06:00 pm »
Submit the file to Virustotal.com and have it scanned. They use 20 odd virus scanners to check submitted files. Once you have your system fully restored with a virus scanner and malware scanner and firewall installed, you can take whatever media you have your backup files stored on, and scan them as well to see if that media also has an infection.

Consumer Security