Updated for 2016
- avast! Home Edition Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64 bit)/Windows 8, 8.1/ Windows 10
- AVG Free Version XP/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8, 8.1/Windows 10
- Avira AntiVir Personal Win 2000/03/08/XP/Vista/7 ...64 bit support for XP, Vista/ 7 Windows 8, 8.1/Windows 10
- BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition Windows XP/Vista/Win7/Win8, 8.1/Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit) Occasionally displays ads.
- ClamWin Free...Windows 10/ Windows 8, 8.1/Windows 7 / Vista / XP / Me / 2000 / 98 and Windows Server 2008 and 2003. ClaimWin offers NO real time protection regarding any "on access" scan. Users MUST manually scan and, scan often if they want to use this program as their security solution.
- Microsoft Security Essentials If "Windows Security" were a paint brush, Microsoft would have painted a masterpiece with this gem. No pro version exists...it's already at its best. Very easy to understand this simple interface. "If it's green, you're good, it's that simple." Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7; Windows 8,8.1; Windows 10 (Same as "Defender" which is a component of 8 and 10)
- HitmanPro3: A free "cloud" AV/AM scanner that will not conflict with your resident AV/AM. It offers on-demand scans by 3 reputable engines (Emsisoft, Bitdefender and Kaspersky) that target only sensitive areas of your system. Hence updates and scans are very quick. The free version has no real-time protection nor removal capability. The default installation does include a 30 day free trial of the full program (including malware removal) but I would suggest bypassing the activation of this option until you need it. It can always be activated later.
- Windows Defender for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10: Previously known as "Microsoft Security Essentials" (MSE) for Win 7 and previous operating systems, and not to be confused with the "Windows Defender" anti-spyware program for these operating systems. Win 8 incorporates WD as a default basic AV. Should you choose to install a different AV on your Win 8/10 system, WD will be automatically disabled.
- Panda Cloud AV Free is a simple, cloud-based AV that is light on resources, and tests well at AV-Comparatives. Be sure to un-check any bundled Security Toolbars, search engines and/or homepage offers during installation if not wanted.
Requires an always-on internet connection to be fully effective.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:47:01 PM by Bugbatter »