Updated for 2016
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Is a slam dunk winner as a freeware anti-malware on demand scanner. Activating the full version unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating....Support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7, 8, 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 10
- Spybot - Search & Destroy Spybot - Search & Destroy is an anti-malware application designed for on-access and on-demand scanning and removal of various kinds of malware, including spyware, adware, hijackers and trojan horses...Read the list of Supported Systems
- SUPERAntiSpyware Supported Systems...software is compatible with 2000, XP Home/Professional, 2003, Server 2008, Vista and Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10. SUPERAntiSpyware is provided as a native 32-bit application and a native 64-bit application. The installer will install the proper version for your operating system. We offer an older version 4.24 that works with Windows 98, 98SE, and ME. "Our software is not compatible with the Mac OS at this time."
SuperAntiSpyware was purchased by "Support.com", which itself has undergone some impressive changes in the past decade. Nonetheless, The Web of Trust cautions users about the "support.com" web site. WOT's ratings should not be overlooked since they are achieved through a combination of "other data", along with opinions of millions of users.
- Windows Defender Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later...64 bit, click Here *Defender including Windows Firewall is built-in for Windows 8, 8.1,10.
- Emsisoft Anti-Malware: Formerly known as "a-squared". Despite its name, the default installation now includes, along with Emsisoft's anti-malware engine, the Bitdefender anti-virus, both running in real-time, as a 30 day free trial. Thereafter, it reverts to a free on-demand scanner, with removal capability. Fortunately, one can still get both the free on-demand scanners only (to avoid conflicts between real-time AV/AM programs already installed on your system) during the installation. At one point, you will be offered the options "30 days free trial", or ""I have a license key", and in much smaller print below, "Freeware mode (scanner only, no protection)." Choose the latter link, and complete the installation.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:47:51 PM by Bugbatter »