Author Topic: Dual XP Boot Installation Query  (Read 9419 times)

Offline markpsych

• Bronze Member
Re: Dual XP Boot Installation Query
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 12:58:54 pm »
After repeated attempts to reinstall, cleaning disc, etc., it has moved beyond 11% and is now installing. Also experienced a couple of messages stating maintenance had been carried out on hard drive, need to restart.

Offline markpsych

• Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 02:38:21 pm »
lol, not having much luck!

Kept hanging during installation process (typically during registration).

When finally got it to complete, got into windows, and went to chkdsk.

Said chkdsk was already planned for next start up, so I restarted.

Now hangs on stage 4, 0 percent completed  :sd  

Suggests here that chkdsk can take days: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160963

Surely not???

UPDATE: No problem.....now progressing. Been at this too long now, and getting impatient!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 02:53:14 pm by markpsych »

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
  • Patience is bitter indeed, but its fruit is sweet.
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 03:07:48 pm »
Try another reformat of the entire disk. Not the quick version either. Then another reinstall. Make absolutely certain that you have removed every hardware device usb from the back of the CPU tower except for keyboard, monitor  and mouse. Allow the installation to complete WITHOUT activation/registration.

Important Note
If you have made certain that everything has been removed from the CPU tower except for monitor, keyboard and mouse, then there would be no possibility for Windows to access the internet with an attempted registration/activation. This can be done at any time during your first 30 days after the installation. I can personally vouch for the absolute certainty that an infection can occur within three seconds of accessing the internet with an unprotected, unpatched operating system. Blaster worm was one of these that was quick to attack such a system, back in the day. If your installation CD does not have the Service Pack 2 already included, then you need to activate the Windows Firewall before accessing the internet. Ask me if you need to, for instructions how to do that.

Of course, once you have completed the installation properly, you then are instructed to re-attach the dsl cable or modem device for dial up so that you can access the internet. Once you do this, you are to immediately visit Windows update to install all of the updates presented.

After this, reinstall your antivirus software only. At this point, you more than likely are going to need another defrag. Complete that, then boot to safe mode and run a complete system scan. Allow the software to quarantine whatever it complains of. Boot back to your normal Windows user mode and reinstall any other programs you intend to use updating each one, one at a time. When you finish, you should then reattach any other hardware device you intend to use and do the same with it's related software.

Post back when you finish and let us know how the system is behaving so we can get you a free image creation software tool from which you can create an image file to use for your recovery in the future. Good Luck. Thanks!
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
Membership: U.N.I.T.E., A.S.A.P.

2009-12

Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

Offline markpsych

• Bronze Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 04:00:49 pm »
Sorry, didn't meet registration/activation....was referring to a step within the installation process, i.e., 'registering components'.

Just doing a defrag, and definitely had everything removed from tower. Haven't installed wireless drivers yet, so haven't been online since last format ....do I still need to start again?

Thanks

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 04:26:37 pm »
OK, that sounds better. You wouldn't need to start over if you now have a working installation and it sounds like you do from your description. If the operating system is installed and working fine, make sure the firewall is engaged, then reinstall other hardware and related drivers only AFTER you install the Windows Updates. Of course, you need to install what devices are necessary for your particular system in order for you to access the internet. Once you've finished, post back your progress and let us know how things are going. Whew! lol...I thought you might have gotten infected during the install from the way you described your issue earlier.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline markpsych

• Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 03:29:33 pm »
Hi again,

Have just installed the final xp update (windows live) and all software inc. microsoft office (via download).

PC increasingly became variable in terms of speed (excessive buffering, etc.), and frequently lost wireless connection particularly if had more then one window open.

Had run Malwarebytes and found no issues.

Now have a corrupt hive  :w1

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 03:52:28 pm »
Are you asking me if you have a corrupt hive? If you're telling me you are, please tell me how you know that. What error message have you received?
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline markpsych

• Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 03:56:15 pm »
Blue screen with error: The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32..... No joy with safe mode or last good configuration.

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 04:23:33 pm »
Ah, ok. Read This and follow those instructions. Please be sure to inform Microsoft about this. I'm certain they would be interested to know that one of their "Live" updates has corrupted your registry on a fresh install. Frankly, this is the very first I've heard of this regarding any of the "Live" updates. Let us know how it turns out.
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline markpsych

• Bronze Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 04:50:24 pm »
Thanks.....I looked at the instructions and felt a little out of my depth, so have opted to start fresh again.

I've spent so much time on this over the last few weeks, I'm starting to loose the will  :m

Still very grateful for your help though  :ty

Will gradually reinstall again, and let you know how it goes.

I there anything else that could have caused it....a problem with the hardware/hard drive?

UPDATE: just before ending the reformat a message has come up saying 'CANT FORMAT THE DRIVE" MESSAGE DISK MAY BE DAMAGED TRY A DIFFERENT PARTITION'!  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:57:12 pm by markpsych »

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 04:56:15 pm »
I take it, you are not posting from that computer. How old is that hard drive?
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline markpsych

• Bronze Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 04:58:36 pm »
No using sons laptop.

We've owned it for approx 2 years, but it was purchased 2nd hand, so not really sure of age. 

Offline 1972vet

• Microsoft® MVP
  • Malware Removal Staff
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 05:19:58 pm »
If it's factory built, we should be able to determine the age. What make and model is it?
Disabled Veteran
U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978

2009-12

Offline markpsych

• Bronze Member
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 05:43:43 pm »
No, its home built I'm afraid.

Offline markpsych

• Bronze Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 06:09:23 pm »
2nd attempt has completed format, and it's now installing. Unfortunately I neglected to unplug the printer and usb hub beforehand.

Do you think the hard drive could be failing?

If so, do the originals logs give an indication of what sort of replacemnt I'd need?

Will update tomorrow.

Thanks